Taliban shoots down Chinook helicopter, killing 31 US soldiers

Started by Kleves, August 06, 2011, 08:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2011, 08:03:09 AM
Quote from: Kleves on August 06, 2011, 12:23:03 PM
It was Seal Team Six that went down. :bleeding:

But...the dog is OK...right? :cry:

This is pretty big news...quite the coup for the taliban there....

Meh, not really.

I mean, it sucks that a bunch of good guys were killed, but there are a lot of helicopters flying around Afghanistan with lots of troops in them getting shot at with lots of various weapons. Once and a while the others guys are going to get lucky too.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on August 09, 2011, 08:16:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2011, 08:03:09 AM
Quote from: Kleves on August 06, 2011, 12:23:03 PM
It was Seal Team Six that went down. :bleeding:

But...the dog is OK...right? :cry:

This is pretty big news...quite the coup for the taliban there....

Meh, not really.

I mean, it sucks that a bunch of good guys were killed, but there are a lot of helicopters flying around Afghanistan with lots of troops in them getting shot at with lots of various weapons. Once and a while the others guys are going to get lucky too.

Turns out being a bad-ass super soldier does not make you invincible. Whod'a thunk it?

Razgovory

Good men die, yet Slargos lives.  Such is the way of things I suppose. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2011, 09:15:02 AM

Reported to the proper authorities, threatener.  :mad:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on August 09, 2011, 09:22:40 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2011, 09:15:02 AM

Reported to the proper authorities, threatener.  :mad:

Counter-reported

KRonn

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/08/10/taliban-insurgents-behind-afghan-chopper-crash-killed-in-airstrike/

NATO Airstrike Kills Taliban Insurgents Behind Afghan Chopper Crash

The Taliban insurgents responsible for shooting down a U.S. helicopter in Afghanistan -- killing 30 Americans -- have been killed in an airstrike, U.S. Gen. John Allen said Wednesday.

"The strike killed Taliban leader Mullah Mohibullah and the insurgent who fired the shot associated with the Aug. 6 downing of the CH-47 helicopter, which resulted in the deaths of 38 Afghan and coalition service members," NATO-ISAF said in a statement.

"Mullah Mohibullah was a key facilitator in an insurgent attack cell led by Din Mohammad, a Taliban leader killed in a previous Special Operations mission," the statement read. "As a leader in Mohammad's network in Tangi valley, Mohibullah had as many as 12 Taliban fighters under his command, including potential suicide bombers."

"After an exhaustive manhunt, Special Operations forces located Mullah Mohibullah and the shooter after receiving multiple intelligence leads and tips from local citizens. The two men were attempting to flee the country in order to avoid capture."

NATO then called for an airstrike after ensuring no civilians were in the area, which resulted in the deaths of Mohibullah, the shooter, and several Taliban associates, according to the statement.

Slargos

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers