Taliban shoots down Chinook helicopter, killing 31 US soldiers

Started by Kleves, August 06, 2011, 08:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on August 08, 2011, 09:52:00 AM

However, the basic idea is not at all stupid, just ignorant.

See? That wasn't so hard.

I would have assumed that if it was possible, practically and economically (and perhaps most importantly, useful), for the dunecoons to affix proximity fuses they would've done so.

I don't see why Ide should catch such shit for merely asking the question, though.

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on August 08, 2011, 10:53:21 AM

I would have assumed that if it was possible, practically and economically (and perhaps most importantly, useful), for the dunecoons to affix proximity fuses they would've done so.

I don't see why Ide should catch such shit for merely asking the question, though.

He shouldn't, hence all the shit grumbler caught for throwing so much shit at Ide.

The difference though is that grumbler doesn't care, and Ide does...:P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I don't know how much Proximity fuses cost, though they built millions using 1940's tech.  If they are cheap enough to put on mortar and artillery shells, they probably aren't that expensive.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2011, 11:13:20 AM
Not very much.

I'm interested in the subject, though.

Another thing you have got to consider is the ranges. Those towelheads and skinnies are flinging RPG rounds at helos flying a few hundred feet up. A prox fuse is wasted when you can see the target and aim at it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

The big problem with RPG-7s is that they aren't very accurate (well that, and they are a really old designed meant to kill 1960's era armored vehicles).  After 100 yards it's pretty much a crap shoot.  The advantage is they are rugged and cheap.  The things are everywhere.  They are not an optimal anti-helicopter weapon, though they are sometimes used against US helicopters.  Using a timed fuse on a thermobaric warhead (probably with something like nails attached to add fragmentation), could possibly increase the chances of damaging a moving helicopter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alcibiades

Well you did phrase it in a matter of fact way....Kind of like you knew what you were talking about as people are wont to do. 

Made me  :yeahright: , but I don't have the enthusiasm or motivation to do the grumbler/berkut route.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 08, 2011, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2011, 11:13:20 AM
Not very much.

I'm interested in the subject, though.

Another thing you have got to consider is the ranges. Those towelheads and skinnies are flinging RPG rounds at helos flying a few hundred feet up. A prox fuse is wasted when you can see the target and aim at it.

I want to think I read something about them modifying the time fuze so that even if they missed, it would at least still explode after only a couple seconds of flight instead of the standard 4.5, at (presumed) helicopter altitude.  Better than nothing?  I also may be misremembering it.

I did find something about a Soviet-made fragmentation round, although it's designed for antipersonnel use and I have no idea if it would be effective against helicopters or if Afghans even have access to them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2011, 08:14:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2011, 07:29:56 PM
And were did I mention AA rounds in my post ?  :hmm:
...Sorry, old chap.  Mistook you for somebody who had a clue...

Don't apologize.  Being mistaken for someone with a clue is a first for Mongers.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Slargos

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 08, 2011, 05:40:01 PM

Well you did phrase it in a matter of fact way....Kind of like you knew what you were talking about as people are wont to do. 

Made me  :yeahright: , but I don't have the enthusiasm or motivation to do the grumbler/berkut route.

i did?

ide did. :contract:

check yourself before you wreck yourself.  :mad:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on August 08, 2011, 11:18:09 PM

That doesn't work with your accent.  Cease and desist.

Alcibiades

i did?

Sorry, "he". 

Your avatars look the same at a glance, so I'll continue to mistake you both for the each other.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Slargos

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 09, 2011, 12:04:39 AM

i did?

Sorry, "he". 

Your avatars look the same at a glance, so I'll continue to mistake you both for the each other.

Apology accepted. They do look somewhat similar.  :sleep:

Josquius

Quote from: Kleves on August 06, 2011, 12:23:03 PM
It was Seal Team Six that went down. :bleeding:

But...the dog is OK...right? :cry:

This is pretty big news...quite the coup for the taliban there....
██████
██████
██████