Taliban shoots down Chinook helicopter, killing 31 US soldiers

Started by Kleves, August 06, 2011, 08:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I don't think a proximity fuse would be a difficult thing to put into an RPG round.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

From what I saw on the news, apparently the Chinook was very low on the deck.  Big target.

It's tragic, and it sucks that it was SEALS, as that is a severe operational loss in so many ways, but I don't see why everyone's so shocked that it could possibly happen. 

Hell, we lost over 150 Chinooks in Vietnam, many the same way.  RPG hit while on the deck. 

Oh yeah, and it's a fucking war.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2011, 07:09:32 AM
I don't think a proximity fuse would be a difficult thing to put into an RPG round.
:huh:   Just wow.  Did you think for even a second before pressing the "post" button? 

At least I have fixed your posts so it doesn't sound completely retarded.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2011, 09:58:21 AM
:huh:   Just wow.  Did you think for even a second before pressing the "post" button? 

Don't blame Ide.  He saw it in a Michael Bay movie.  Or perhaps McGyver.  Or McGruber.

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2011, 09:58:21 AM

Fuck you, grumbler.  A good half of your posts are arguing about things no one with sense would waste the verbiage on.

I wasn't certain, so I said "I think."  I'm happy to be corrected by someone with more experience or knowledge of military equipment, so dial back on the asshole.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2011, 10:19:23 AM
Fuck you, grumbler.  A good half of your posts are arguing about things no one with sense would waste the verbiage on.

I wasn't certain, so I said "I think."  I'm happy to be corrected by someone with more experience or knowledge of military equipment, so dial back on the asshole.
No, fuck you.  My point is that you didn't think at all.   You don't have a fucking clue as to what it would take to modify a proximity fuse, or any kind of fuse, to an RPG or anything else.  You post was pure stupid - as stupid as anything I can recall anyone saying here ever, and that is saying a lot.  It was so blazingly stupid that I simply couldn't ignore it, as I ignore most of the stupidity here.

If you had dialed back on the stupid as you argue I should "dial back on the asshole," you wouldn't have posted at all, and so neither would I.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2011, 10:41:08 AM
Almost everyone's here goes to 11, including mine, but there are other settings.
Not everybody's stupid goes to 11, though, and when one posts with their stupid set to 11, people will tell them that there are other settings (to which you will respond that they are assholes, but they can live with that).

Bayraktar!

Slargos

:lol:

What's up, grumbleR? Someone pissed in your cheerios today?

Seems an awfully exaggerated amount of nerdrage to spill on such an innocuous assertion, no matter the degree of ignorance it shows.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2011, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 07, 2011, 10:19:23 AM

No, fuck you.  My point is that you didn't think at all.   You don't have a fucking clue as to what it would take to modify a proximity fuse, or any kind of fuse, to an RPG or anything else.  You post was pure stupid - as stupid as anything I can recall anyone saying here ever, and that is saying a lot.  It was so blazingly stupid that I simply couldn't ignore it, as I ignore most of the stupidity here.

If you had dialed back on the stupid as you argue I should "dial back on the asshole," you wouldn't have posted at all, and so neither would I.
No, fuck you.  You saw an excuse to be a total cunt, and you never pass those up, do you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I'm going to admit, Grumbler's reactions was kind of weird.  I don't know how hard it is to put a proximity fuse into an RPG round.  I don't even know how exactly they work.  I do know they are put in mortar bombs and artillery shells and I know the Germans found proximity fuses in American artillery incredibly unpleasant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

WTF?  Who could've imagined that proximity fuses or RPGs would be grumbler's sore spot?