Attitudes / Reactions To Domestic Violence, Within Your Social Group and Country

Started by mongers, August 11, 2011, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 06:16:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 06:15:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 06:03:21 PM
I represented one.  Uh, bit of a waste of carbon, dumb as a sack of hammers, but he wasn't guilty.

A friend of mine from school may be in an abusive marriage (it's obviously emotionally abusive, but there's not been any direct signs of physical abuse--psychological signs are a different story).  I really had no idea what to do about it short of recommend she not live with the guy, and maybe go back in time and not have three kids with him.  She wasn't a close friend, and I never met her husband.

Er, how are you representing one when you haven't passed the bar?

South Carolina Appellate Rule 401.  Criminal practice clinic.

Do they actually pay you for this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 06:18:02 PM
I represented one.  Uh, bit of a waste of carbon, dumb as a sack of hammers, but he wasn't guilty.

A friend of mine from school may be in an abusive marriage (it's obviously emotionally abusive, but there's not been any direct signs of physical abuse--psychological signs are a different story).  I really had no idea what to do about it short of recommend she not live with the guy, and maybe go back in time and not have three kids with him.  She wasn't a close friend, and I never met her husband.

Nope, per section (d)(4) of the rule.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 11, 2011, 06:20:51 PM
The bar is a racket. You did the work, you should get paid.

I'm not sure I'd want someone to represent me who hasn't proven he knows what he's doing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 11, 2011, 06:20:51 PM
The bar is a racket. You did the work, you should get paid.

I was paid in experience. :smarty:

Yes, I'd rather be paid in money.

Quote from: RazI'm not sure I'd want someone to represent me who hasn't proven he knows what he's doing.

Yeah, you do get what you pay for.  Although we had a supervising (real) attorney, of course.  Couldn't even show up to court without him.

Actually don't know what we'd have done if he'd gotten into a car accident or something. :shrug:  We'd already continued the case for six months when my client got arrested in another county on the eve of his original trial. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 06:18:02 PM

Think of it as the senior internship for lawyers, with oversight.  Gotta practice on somebody.

Ideologue

Also, the clients for the CPC are all indigent.  So their options are pro se, the regular public defender, or (if they're special and got lucky) us.

I can about guarantee that he was better off with us than a PD.  Not a knock on them, but I had one client, the PD has, I dunno, a hundred.

Like Money sez, you gotta practice on somebody.  Like I said, they're indigent; so think of it like cadavers at a medical school.
Kinemalogue

dps

Pretty much everyone I know who has ever talked about the subject detests wife beaters, but other than giving the victim the standard advice to leave the guy and press charges, no body wants to get involved.  And the advice is given basically pro forma, because everyone who has become aware of a domestic violence situation and tried to give the victim advice or help out has found out that there's nothing that you really can do, because the victims won't follow the advice and help themselves.

derspiess

To answer the OP, I've never known anyone or of anyone involved with domestic violence. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2011, 06:26:13 PM

Think of it as the senior internship for lawyers, with oversight.  Gotta practice on somebody.

I was hoping they would practice on corpses.  Like doctors.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 08:41:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2011, 06:26:13 PM

I was hoping they would practice on corpses.  Like doctors.

QuoteLike Money sez, you gotta practice on somebody.  Like I said, they're indigent; so think of it like cadavers at a medical school.

WTF.  Don't steal my material.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

OttoVonBismarck