Attitudes / Reactions To Domestic Violence, Within Your Social Group and Country

Started by mongers, August 11, 2011, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

This issue came up elsewhere, so I thought I'd open a thread dealing with wider subject of domestic violence in your country.

When someone within your social class or group of friends uses domestic violence or the threat of it, and this becomes know, how do people typically react and how do you behave towards the perpetrator ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Most people tend to mind their own business.  And chicks that let themselves get beat usually allow it for various textbook abandonment issues, stupidity or because they like the drama.

Siege

In my culture a man that hits a woman is the lowest scum of the earth.
He will also get beat the shit out by his wife's brothers, and his brothers will not stop the beating becuase he deserves it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

I represented one.  Uh, bit of a waste of carbon, dumb as a sack of hammers, but he wasn't guilty.

A friend of mine from school may be in an abusive marriage (it's obviously emotionally abusive, but there's not been any direct signs of physical abuse--psychological signs are a different story).  I really had no idea what to do about it short of recommend she not live with the guy, and maybe go back in time and not have three kids with him.  She wasn't a close friend, and I never met her husband.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

This is one of the biggest problems in Scandinavian culture, IMO. There's a lot of don't ask, don't tell going on.

Cops that beat their wives is especially vicious, since there's a culture of protecting the miscreants and while wifebeating is usually prosecuted relatively harshly when it's actually reported, this is not the case when the offender is a cop.

Slargos

Quote from: Siege on August 11, 2011, 06:00:47 PM
He will also get beat the shit out by his wife's brothers, and his brothers will not stop the beating becuase he deserves it.

One of the few saving graces of the arabs.

Of course, I've only physically intervened once when a woman was manhandled by her boyfriend, and it ended up with her attempting to kick me in the balls. Started with punching me in the nose and got a glancing blow on the nads before I could shake my surprise off and raise my fist to correct her.

Fortunately, my buddies pulled me away before I could give her a taste of knuckle sandwich, which I guess was pretty lucky all things considered. I suppose in retrospect she probably had it coming and I should've just let the guy police the bitch at his own leisure..

The notion that you shouldn't hit women no matter what is moronic.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 06:11:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2011, 06:00:07 PM
Most people tend to mind their own business.  And chicks that let themselves get beat usually allow it for various textbook abandonment issues, stupidity or because they like the drama.

All good sound, experienced reasoning, but I started the thread as I was also thinking about a particular instance and a far as I know nothing like that has yet happened to her. 

However I now know about his form, she doesn't, but because of the rather 'fucked up' shared history she and I have, I am extremely reluctant to give her the information, it could well be not believed, could well cause problems and I'm not 100% sure he's still is or was with her.  :hmm:

Dude, some bitches simply be tripping.

Unless you know for a fact that she's being abused, don't let the manipulative whorebag drag you into her drama.

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 06:11:49 PM

Of course, I've only physically intervened once when a woman was manhandled by her boyfriend, and it ended up with her attempting to kick me in the balls. Started with punching me in the nose and got a glancing blow on the nads before I could shake my surprise off and raise my fist to correct her.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother helping unless I was in a violent mood anyway, ever since I got a boxcutter pulled on me while a pair of castrati Mormon witnesses watched and didn't do anything, and the cop who finally showed up evidently didn't want assault paperwork to clutter up his day.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Denial is a possibility if you tell her what you think about him.

But, as I said on facebook, there is a moral onus on you to tell her what you know, regardless of how much you dislike her.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 06:11:49 PM

Fortunately, my buddies pulled me away before I could give her a taste of knuckle sandwich, which I guess was pretty lucky all things considered. I suppose in retrospect she probably had it coming and I should've just let the guy police the bitch at his own leisure..

The notion that you shouldn't hit women no matter what is moronic.

Domestic violence calls are dreaded by cops as the victim will go after the cops sometimes. Pookie loves her, fo sho.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 06:03:21 PM
I represented one.  Uh, bit of a waste of carbon, dumb as a sack of hammers, but he wasn't guilty.

A friend of mine from school may be in an abusive marriage (it's obviously emotionally abusive, but there's not been any direct signs of physical abuse--psychological signs are a different story).  I really had no idea what to do about it short of recommend she not live with the guy, and maybe go back in time and not have three kids with him.  She wasn't a close friend, and I never met her husband.

Er, how are you representing one when you haven't passed the bar?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 06:15:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 06:03:21 PM

Er, how are you representing one when you haven't passed the bar?

South Carolina Appellate Rule 401.  Criminal practice clinic.
Kinemalogue

Slargos

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 06:15:41 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 06:13:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2011, 06:11:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2011, 06:00:07 PM

All good sound, experienced reasoning, but I started the thread as I was also thinking about a particular instance and a far as I know nothing like that has yet happened to her. 

However I now know about his form, she doesn't, but because of the rather 'fucked up' shared history she and I have, I am extremely reluctant to give her the information, it could well be not believed, could well cause problems and I'm not 100% sure he's still is or was with her.  :hmm:

Dude, some bitches simply be tripping.

Unless you know for a fact that she's being abused, don't let the manipulative whorebag drag you into her drama.

Nope the situation is probably the reverse of this, If I've got it wrong the only person you sentence refers to is probably me.   :hmm:

I am very tired atm and not really thinking clearly, but I am really confused now, I will admit.  :D