Where does "The South"(tm) begin in the U.S.?

Started by Syt, April 20, 2009, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

I comprehend that it is hope despite history seemingly overturning what I value at every time. While it seems to me that the world is leaving me behind, Lee holds that it is merely as a tide, on such a long scale as to be out of our ken.  I dont believe it, and have no faith in the future, but I do have faith in Lee, so I can accept what he says as a comfort although I do not believe it myself.

Although, at least I didint quote bebop. (Were I to do so, I would most assuredly give proper deference to Radical Edward.)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

QuoteTexas tends to consider itself Texan, rather than Southern.

"Fellow-Citizens, in the name of your rights and liberties, which I believe have been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the nationality of Texas, which has been betrayed by the Convention, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the Constitution of Texas, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of my own conscience and manhood, which this Convention would degrade by dragging me before it, to pander to the malice of my enemies ... I refuse to take this oath."

-Sam Houston refusing to betray Texas to the Confederate traitors
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

He was indeed a very high profile dissenter. However, the rest of the South had those too. Tennessee gave those people Farragut, Virginia gave them the rock of Chickamauga. An entire section of VA withdrew its consent from the Confederacy; East TN attempted but failed to do the same. The closest Texas had to that was unrest in the north of the state, a natural extension of there being almost no authority in that region.

Houston himself merely thought the South couldent win. I too can quote the man-
'There comes a time a man's section is his country...I stand with mine. I was a conservative citizen of the United States...I am now a conservative citizen of the Southern Confederacy.'

The outpouring of blood on Texas's behalf in its struggle for independence was mirrored with interest by Texas for the Southern states as a whole during the war.  the Texas legislature voted for secession by an overwhelming majority, and high estimates place opponents ot secession within the state at large as around a fourth- mostly of yankee or foreign birth.

Few nascent nations find such strong support from their populace as Texas did regarding the path to secession and independence.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Queequeg

Oh really?  how'd the whole independence thing work out, Lettow?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2009, 05:40:12 PM
Anywhere west of 9' W and south of 50' N , to be on the safe side. :bowler:

When I lived in Germany (54°N) we considered everything south of Hamburg as Northern Italy/Alpine foothills. :contract:

East of Lübeck Asia commenced.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Weatherman

Martinus

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 20, 2009, 08:19:49 PMThe South's cultural borders are shrinking.
The Southern culture is an oxymoron.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2009, 08:54:08 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 20, 2009, 08:51:37 PM
is it just me or a tard fight a brewing?

I'd like a white wine spritzer.

Have you tried Aperol spritzer? Aperol, Prosecco, Soda, Ice. Has become very popular in Austria (imported from Italy).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2009, 05:51:09 PM
Heh.  Actually it's the northern part of the state that is more like the south.  In fact it's called "Little Dixie".  The Ozarks were a Union stronghold here (people were to poor to own slaves).  Areas with lots of Germans (like where I live) went Union. 

Just because a region of the south supported the Union doesn't mean the people there aren't southerners.... as Lettuce mentioned the folks in East Tennessee were Unionists too, but having been there plenty of times I think I can say with authority you can barely get more Southern than an East Tennessean.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Brazen

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Well now he knows that I look like Patrick Swayze (not cancer-ridden Patrick Swayze :x , Dirty Dancing-era).  As does Lettow.