Where does "The South"(tm) begin in the U.S.?

Started by Syt, April 20, 2009, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2009, 03:26:58 PMIronic given that most fought for the Union.

Alot of people here don't seem to realize this, actually.  I see a fair number of Confederate bumper stickers on cars (ok, let's be honest: trucks with oversized tires) in my home county, and Quantrill and his Confederate raiders actually burned the county courthouse in our county.  In fact, he was ambushed and killed here even.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2009, 03:26:58 PM
Ironic given that most fought for the Union.

You doubt the accuracy of a film that portrays Don Haskins as a good looking skinny guy?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2009, 03:28:33 PMI presume the reason you didn't see it was because you hate black people.

:rolleyes: I love the blacks.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2009, 03:29:06 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2009, 03:26:58 PMIronic given that most fought for the Union.

Alot of people here don't seem to realize this, actually.  I see a fair number of Confederate bumper stickers on cars (ok, let's be honest: trucks with oversized tires) in my home county, and Quantrill and his Confederate raiders actually burned the county courthouse in our county.  In fact, he was ambushed and killed here even.
40% of the white population did fight for the Confederacy and their descendants are still there. I'm going to take a guess and say a fair number doesn't equate to 40%.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2009, 03:17:10 PM
Well, I can say from experience that people in Boston are definitely more racist than people here.  :cool:

What does that have to do with anything?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2009, 01:00:24 PM
Quote from: charliebear on April 20, 2009, 12:56:31 PM
South begins at the Michigan/Ohio border.  That's all "down south" to us.  Then there's "really down south" and of course "deep south."

Pfft.

Everyone in Yukon knows that the "south" starts at 60 degrees latitude. :rolleyes:
Beeb is a southerner to me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2009, 03:22:25 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2009, 03:17:10 PM
Well, I can say from experience that people in Boston are definitely more racist than people here.  :cool:

I saw Glory Road.  Kentuckians are racist Confederate flag wavers.

:D  That movie didn't go over too well with Kentuckians in my office.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: citizen k on April 20, 2009, 03:20:56 PM
another factor that defines the South:

I like that map, particularly because it bolsters my contention that West Virginia isn't part of the south, but I still prefer the grits test.

Ed Anger

5 quatloos that Tim posts that fucking Soda map.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

stjaba

Re: Florida

Most people say the South stops around Gainesville or Ocala(ie just Northern Florida), which is a good approximation, but not entirely accurate. The northern part of the state is southern, but the South extends into the southern interior of the state. The coasts and cities and suburbs are obviously excluded, but there's rural Southern parts of the state pretty far south.

MadImmortalMan

What's the deal with Esmeralda County in Nevada? There's only like 900 people in the whole place. Must be some sort of Baptist summer camp in the desert there...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2009, 05:37:51 PM
What's the deal with Esmeralda County in Nevada? There's only like 900 people in the whole place. Must be some sort of Baptist summer camp in the desert there...

The one that caught my eye was the one county in Nebraska that's over 50% Baptist.  In a county of under 1000 people, one family can make a huge difference in the demographs.  Of course, that county in Nebraska could also be under 1000, but it's less likely than one in the desert.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2009, 03:00:47 PM
Missouri (Ozarks, bootheel),

Heh.  Actually it's the northern part of the state that is more like the south.  In fact it's called "Little Dixie".  The Ozarks were a Union stronghold here (people were to poor to own slaves).  Areas with lots of Germans (like where I live) went Union. 

General Lyon is my hero.  If he hadn't died so early he'd have led the US to victory in 63. :cry:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

The core of the South is Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina. Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, Texas and Virginia are also Southern. Kentucky, Oklahoma, Missouri constitute the fringes of Southern civilisation, where one might reasonably find a Southern holdout.

Notes: East TN, Ozarks are mountain folk without loyalties to the South. An indiginous problem.
southern florida, northern virginia are saturated with yankees without loyalties to the south. A foreign problem.
Texas tends to consider itself Texan, rather than Southern. This attitude of independence is part of their Southern identity.

Increasingly, Georgia and North Carolina are receiving an influx of damnyankees, a problem that plagues the entire South to a lesser degree. It is hoped this will not expand- We lost Missouri to this two centuries ago, and we have lost considerable parts of Florida and Virginia in this century gone by. The South's cultural borders are shrinking.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Can you truly comprehend that quote in your signature? I doubt it. :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point