Where does "The South"(tm) begin in the U.S.?

Started by Syt, April 20, 2009, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinraith

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2009, 02:03:33 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 20, 2009, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2009, 01:54:42 PM
Draw a line from the northeast corner of Missouri straight across the middles of IL, IN and OH to Pittsburgh and include everything below that line too.

:huh: That'd make Cincinnati (and possibly Indianapolis, it'd be close) southern. That's just... silly. Ohio isn't southern, hell northern KY isn't even southern.

I disagree. Southern Ohio/Indiana are as southern as Virginia. More southern than northern Virginia.

Which is why I wouldn't really include northern Virginia in the south anymore, except perhaps by historical tradition.

I mean look at that line you're drawing. You're eliminating half the midwest.

garbon

Who cares? All the states near that region are horribly tainted even if not in The South.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2009, 02:05:41 PM
Who cares? All the states near that region are horribly tainted even if not in The South.

Yeah but you feel that way about every state outside of Cali.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

vinraith

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2009, 02:07:07 PM

Ironic, isn't it?

garbon

No I don't.  I know I said it before on old Languish, you got your west coast (+Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico) and your Northeast (starting with New York); then you can pick up a few cities here and there like Chicago and DC.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: vinraith on April 20, 2009, 02:08:06 PM

Ironic, isn't it?

Yeah, I've always thought it was funny how New Yorkers and Californians pride themselves on being cosmopolitan--and while they are the most cosmopoitan places in the country when it comes to backgroud, when it comes to attitudes, their resident are actually just about the most provential people you can find.

Caliga

STATES THAT ARE ENTIRELY PART OF THE SOUTH: Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia

STATES THAT ARE PARTLY SOUTHERN: Texas (east Texas), Oklahoma (eastern Oklahoma), Missouri (Ozarks, bootheel), Illinois (southern i.e. "Little Egypt"), Indiana (southernmost tier of counties), Kentucky (all except for northern Kentucky, around Cincinnati, and debatably Louisville), West Virginia (most of the state south of the panhandle), Virginia (the south and west of the state, plus the Tidewater), Maryland (eastern shore), Delaware (southernmost county), Florida (northern part of the state, from the panhandle across to Jacksonville)

I would certainly argue that Raleigh is in the south, though it may be less "southern" than surrounding areas due to large numbers of Yankee transplants, which is true for a couple of other places in the south, most notably Atlanta.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: dps on April 20, 2009, 02:14:16 PMYeah, I've always thought it was funny how New Yorkers and Californians pride themselves on being cosmopolitan--and while they are the most cosmopoitan places in the country when it comes to backgroud, when it comes to attitudes, their resident are actually just about the most provential people you can find.

Well, I can say from experience that people in Boston are definitely more racist than people here.  :cool:

citizen k

from wikifailia:
Quotethe Mason-Dixon Line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the Northern United States and the Southern United States (Dixie)

another factor that defines the South:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2009, 03:17:10 PM
Well, I can say from experience that people in Boston are definitely more racist than people here.  :cool:

I saw Glory Road.  Kentuckians are racist Confederate flag wavers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2009, 03:22:25 PMI saw Glory Road.  Kentuckians are racist Confederate flag wavers.

I didn't see that movie, so that makes it not true.

Caliga

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2009, 03:22:25 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2009, 03:17:10 PM

I saw Glory Road.  Kentuckians are racist Confederate flag wavers.
Ironic given that most fought for the Union.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2009, 03:24:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2009, 03:22:25 PMI saw Glory Road.  Kentuckians are racist Confederate flag wavers.

I didn't see that movie, so that makes it not true.

I presume the reason you didn't see it was because you hate black people.