Where does "The South"(tm) begin in the U.S.?

Started by Syt, April 20, 2009, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on April 21, 2009, 09:56:36 AM
The Southern accent is usually over-exaggerated in movies and TV.  In addition, the type of Southern accent varies, unsurprisingly, over even the states always considered part of the South.  The most common movie/TV accent is more of a South Mississippi thing.

Well also back in the day the accents were alot more pronounced then they are now.  Recordings from Southerners from the 30s to the 60s are pretty hilarious.  It could be they are trying to be authentic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2009, 09:58:14 AM
Well also back in the day the accents were alot more pronounced then they are now.  Recordings from Southerners from the 30s to the 60s are pretty hilarious.  It could be they are trying to be authentic.

I think they don't know any better, but I'll concede the point.

Here's Huey Long from the 30s:
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/mp3clips/politicalspeeches/hueyplongsharethewealth.mp3

And Dolly Parton with Porter Wagoner in 1973 (there's a little intro conversation):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gwv3QmlHx8&feature=PlayList&p=DA00FF0C0CBA9A2B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18

Strix

Quote from: ulmont on April 21, 2009, 09:56:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2009, 09:52:24 AM
I mean, I heard of the drawl, but thought it is not as pronounced.

The Southern accent is usually over-exaggerated in movies and TV.  In addition, the type of Southern accent varies, unsurprisingly, over even the states always considered part of the South.  The most common movie/TV accent is more of a South Mississippi thing.

The accent from the Tidewater region in VA is quite amusing and very hard to understand if you haven't experienced southern accents previously.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Lettow77

Southern accents do indeed vary, although they have unifying factors and an overall sense of cohesion.

They are, like Southern culture, in decline however- in certain cities especially. You really need to take refuge in the countryside to hear proper accents.

I have lived here all my life, never having left, and do not believe I posess much of an accent at all despite an impeccable Southern pedigree.  :cry:

I think Grallon said I sounded british?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

dps

Quote from: Strix on April 21, 2009, 09:55:07 AM
Talk amongst yourselves about the meaning of the lyrics "I wish I was in Dixie"

"Way down south in the land of cotton."

More evidence that WV isn't in the south--we don't grow cotton there.  I think that leaves out Kentucky, too, but I'm not sure about that.

Lettow77

West Virginia isnt Southern, but Southern identity isnt tied to Cotton. They dont grow much of it in North Carolina, for example, which is still a solidly Southern state. (even in the face of its late unpleasantness..)

West Virginia is Appalachian, as is sections of Kentucky, TN, & (oddly enough, given the name), Arkansas.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: dps on April 21, 2009, 04:56:27 PMMore evidence that WV isn't in the south--we don't grow cotton there.  I think that leaves out Kentucky, too, but I'm not sure about that.

Incorrect, cotton was cultivated in Kentucky, especially in western Kentucky, though I don't think it is anymore.  The biggest cash crops in Kentucky were however tobacco and hemp. The county I live in used to basically be one giant hemp farm. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Strix on April 21, 2009, 09:55:07 AM
I'll throw a weird concept into the mix....it's called the Mason-Dixon line and begins around the southern border of PA.
That might have been useful once upon a time, but I know that when I lived in Fairfax County Virginia I was not in the South, and now that I am in Fauquier County I am.

So the line is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line these days.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

I find the Southern accent on a woman super hot. :mmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2009, 08:00:45 PM
Depends on the south and the woman.  Go to a Walmart south of Mason-Dixon and spend the rest of your life trying to remember what it is like to have an erection.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2009, 08:27:01 PM
Depends on the south and the woman.  Go to a Walmart south of Mason-Dixon anywhere and spend the rest of your life trying to remember what it is like to have an erection.

:)

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2009, 08:00:45 PM

You are welcome to them.  :x

West Texas is very HOTT...East Texas, which is supposedly Southern, sounds horrid.  But supposedly out on the East coast the women have hott accents...but I wouldn't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2009, 09:36:58 PM
You are welcome to them.  :x

West Texas is very HOTT...East Texas, which is supposedly Southern, sounds horrid. 

In my experience, East Texas is a neverending series of roadside "antique shops" selling vintage hubcaps and plumbing looted from construction sites. Take a cruise down 59 if you don't believe me. Nothing "HOTT" can possibly come out of there.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on April 21, 2009, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 21, 2009, 08:27:01 PM
Depends on the south and the woman.  Go to a Walmart south of Mason-Dixon anywhere and spend the rest of your life trying to remember what it is like to have an erection.

:)
Is this a subtly mocking emoticon or an agreeing one?  Not totally sure....
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."