Where does "The South"(tm) begin in the U.S.?

Started by Syt, April 20, 2009, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: charliebear on April 20, 2009, 12:56:31 PM
South begins at the Michigan/Ohio border.  That's all "down south" to us.  Then there's "really down south" and of course "deep south."

:mad:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2009, 01:31:06 PM
How many times must I say it?

If you're in North America and you're not in Alaska, Yukon, NWT or Nunavut, you're a damn dirty southerner. :contract:

Sorry but Canada, let alone northern Canada, is hardly a reference point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on April 20, 2009, 01:41:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2009, 01:28:13 PM
Virginia south of the 703 aea code.  West Virginia: ambiguous.  Then the Ohio River line.  The part of Missouri where they say Missourah.  Arkansas.  Maybe east Texas.

The south is anywhere people commonly eat grits;  therefore West Virginia is not part of the south.

I'd say maybe southern WV is in The South, though obviously Charleston & above is hardly Southern.  I'd call WV a border state, like Kentuckeh.

In high school I went out with a girl whose family was from "Missippee" (never did quite figure out why they dropped a syllable but whatever).  She didn't consider Tennessee part of the South :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

On a related note, to refer back to an old thread which I can't be arsed to dig up now, after seeing "North & South" I definitely think John Brown was a hero.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on April 20, 2009, 01:50:03 PM
To refer back to an old thread which I can't be arsed to dig up now, after seeing "North & South" I definitely think John Brown was a hero.

Stop kissing up to CdM.

Syt

This is what Wikifailia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

QuoteModern definition The states in dark red are almost always included in modern day definitions of the South, while those in medium red are usually included. Maryland and Missouri are sometimes considered Southern, while Delaware is only rarely considered part of the South. West Virginia is often considered Southern, because it was once part of Virginia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

vinraith

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2009, 01:48:42 PM
Quote from: dps on April 20, 2009, 01:41:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2009, 01:28:13 PM
Virginia south of the 703 aea code.  West Virginia: ambiguous.  Then the Ohio River line.  The part of Missouri where they say Missourah.  Arkansas.  Maybe east Texas.

The south is anywhere people commonly eat grits;  therefore West Virginia is not part of the south.

I'd say maybe southern WV is in The South, though obviously Charleston & above is hardly Southern.  I'd call WV a border state, like Kentuckeh.

That seems reasonable to me. There's a tendency to conflate Appalachian with southern, when in reality they're two different flavors of cripplingly poor and ignorant.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2009, 01:50:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 20, 2009, 01:50:03 PM
To refer back to an old thread which I can't be arsed to dig up now, after seeing "North & South" I definitely think John Brown was a hero.

Stop kissing up to CdM.
Well, all I know is that Kansas could use another massacre.

MadImmortalMan

Draw a line from the northeast corner of Missouri straight across the middles of IL, IN and OH to Pittsburgh and include everything below that line too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

I have to say the inclusion of Oklahoma just boggles my mind.  It is culturally, economically, geographically and every other meaningful sense tied to Nebraska, Kansas, Eastern Colorado, and the Panhandle of Texas.  To consider it as Southern as Kentucky is nonsense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

vinraith

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2009, 01:54:42 PM
Draw a line from the northeast corner of Missouri straight across the middles of IL, IN and OH to Pittsburgh and include everything below that line too.

:huh: That'd make Cincinnati (and possibly Indianapolis, it'd be close) southern. That's just... silly. Ohio isn't southern, hell northern KY isn't even southern.

vinraith

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2009, 01:55:43 PM
I have to say the inclusion of Oklahoma just boggles my mind.  It is culturally, economically, geographically and every other meaningful sense tied to Nebraska, Kansas, Eastern Colorado, and the Panhandle of Texas.  To consider it as Southern as Kentucky is nonsense.

Very odd. Oklahoma is definitely a plains state. Texas is sort of a sideways border state...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: vinraith on April 20, 2009, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2009, 01:54:42 PM

:huh: That'd make Cincinnati (and possibly Indianapolis, it'd be close) southern. That's just... silly. Ohio isn't southern, hell northern KY isn't even southern.

I disagree. Southern Ohio/Indiana are as southern as Virginia. More southern than northern Virginia.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2009, 02:03:33 PM
I disagree. Southern Ohio/Indiana are as southern as Virginia. More southern than northern Virginia.

Oh please.  Hoosiers are the epitome of northern rednecks.  If they are Southerners so are Iowans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."