Where does "The South"(tm) begin in the U.S.?

Started by Syt, April 20, 2009, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 21, 2009, 07:32:02 AM
Well now he knows that I look like Patrick Swayze (not cancer-ridden Patrick Swayze :x , Dirty Dancing-era).  As does Lettow.

I liked you in Roadhouse.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 21, 2009, 05:04:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2009, 05:51:09 PM
Heh.  Actually it's the northern part of the state that is more like the south.  In fact it's called "Little Dixie".  The Ozarks were a Union stronghold here (people were to poor to own slaves).  Areas with lots of Germans (like where I live) went Union. 

Just because a region of the south supported the Union doesn't mean the people there aren't southerners.... as Lettuce mentioned the folks in East Tennessee were Unionists too, but having been there plenty of times I think I can say with authority you can barely get more Southern than an East Tennessean.

Also the State never join the Confederacy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

It sure tried to though (e.g. Sterling Price).  I still think the argument is irrelevant... whether or not a state joined the Confederacy, or portions of it tried/did not try, does not automatically define its Southern-ness.  Personally I think the following factors are more important: accent, cuisine, attitudes (political/religious).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

Quote from: Syt on April 21, 2009, 01:08:29 AM
Have you tried Aperol spritzer? Aperol, Prosecco, Soda, Ice. Has become very popular in Austria (imported from Italy).

:huh:  ...do you drink spritz?! 5 years ago it was impossible to find outside my hometown  :lmfao:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 21, 2009, 07:32:02 AM
Well now he knows that I look like Patrick Swayze (not cancer-ridden Patrick Swayze :x , Dirty Dancing-era).  As does Lettow.
Limp.  :x

Martinus

Speaking of North and South, do people in the South REALLY have such an annoying accent?  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2009, 09:43:32 AM
Speaking of North and South, do people in the South REALLY have such an annoying accent?  :huh:

I do not remember the specific accents used in that series...but yes they tend to have very annoying accents.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2009, 09:44:49 AM

I do not remember the specific accents used in that series...but yes they tend to have very annoying accents.

Fuck all y'all.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 21, 2009, 09:44:49 AM

I mean, I heard of the drawl, but thought it is not as pronounced.

It's like "Meydem, wooyld you leyk some weyn?"

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Strix

I'll throw a weird concept into the mix....it's called the Mason-Dixon line and begins around the southern border of PA.

Talk amongst yourselves about the meaning of the lyrics "I wish I was in Dixie"
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

It varies quite a bit depending on where you are, of course... the South is a very large region.  Bigger than Poland ;)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on April 21, 2009, 09:52:24 AM
I mean, I heard of the drawl, but thought it is not as pronounced.

The Southern accent is usually over-exaggerated in movies and TV.  In addition, the type of Southern accent varies, unsurprisingly, over even the states always considered part of the South.  The most common movie/TV accent is more of a South Mississippi thing.

Valmy