News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Just came here to say: don't build cardboard houses in areas of the world ravaged by tornados.

Barrister

YOu came back to say that? :yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2021, 01:27:34 PM
YOu came back to say that? :yeahright:

He's been a dickish troll each time he returns.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Thanks for the sage advice, Mr. Empathy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

I mean tornadoes are a huge threat throughout the entire Great Plains. We cannot cover the whole place with stone fortresses. And it is not like tornadoes are going to hit every decade, it is usually pretty rare in one location...you know outside of Kansas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Sometimes cardboard is all you can afford.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Mildest New Year Eve and New Year Day here since records began.  :bowler: ...  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: mongers on January 03, 2022, 09:37:04 AM
Mildest New Year Eve and New Year Day here since records began.  :bowler: ...  :hmm:

It was very unseasonably warm in Vienna, too and in fact the warmest New Year's Eve recorded in Austria, with 18.3C in Lower Austria. I went for an afternoon walk myself, because it was so spring-like. I did regret the decision, though, because plenty of proles were sitting outside in various spots getting drunk already and it was overall busier than I would have liked.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2022, 09:46:29 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 03, 2022, 09:37:04 AM

It was very unseasonably warm in Vienna, too and in fact the warmest New Year's Eve recorded in Austria, with 18.3C in Lower Austria. I went for an afternoon walk myself, because it was so spring-like. I did regret the decision, though, because plenty of proles were sitting outside in various spots getting drunk already and it was overall busier than I would have liked.

Good grief, that's something.

But as you say, the experience is marred by the long shadow of coronavirus considerations.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Got our first snow of the season Thursday afternoon.  About an inch or two, which was enough that I had to shovel. :mad:

Last year I never had to shovel at all.  Worst winter ever.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/climate/argentina-heatwave-weather-forecast-temperatures-v4e2d20cb

QuoteArgentina faces historic heatwave as temperatures soar above 40C

Argentina is facing a historic heatwave with temperatures soaring above 40C across the country, making it the hottest place on Earth for several hours.

Hundreds of thousands of people have been left without electricity after power grids failed in and around the capital city of Buenos Aires.

Many residents have been forced to find relief from the heat away from their homes, while authorities have warned people to stay out of the sun in the hottest part of the day, wear light clothes and stay hydrated.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Heaviest single day snowfall I've seen, I think.

The big 1999 storms left more,but lasted three days.

Didn't bother trying to go anywhere today.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Anyone else have interesting snow day stories? (Mine is pretty boring).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Mine is also boring. The storm left a lot less snow then predicted. We closed the schools for nothing.

On December 27 2012, we had 42cm in a single day. I shoveled for 6 hours before giving up and borrowing my father in law snow blower. We both don't have cars that can transport it. So, I walked the 1.8km separating our houses behind the snow blower 2 times and once without. He drove me back home after I delivered the snow blower. I bought a snow blower the next day from Sears Catalogue.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

You got off lucky - a pretty big dump here in Toronto - 35 cm. Whitby got 52 cm!