Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 15, 2021, 02:09:09 PM
Winter has come.

Your darn right it has.  Today it won't even get above 70f/21c.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Had a little snow two days back.

Jacob

More seriously, 275 people were trapped between two mudslides on the highway since last night. The entire town of Merritt (pop 7,000) is being evacuated as the sewage treatment plan is basically underwater and non-functional.

KRonn

Has heavy but very fast moving rainstorms come through southern New England. About eight tornados touched down mostly in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Strongest one was EF1, not very powerful, causing some damage but thankfully no injuries. I had a tornado watch come through my area south west of Boston  and through southeast Massachusetts into Martha's Vineyard. The weather was monitoring the conditions and keeping us well informed. Tornados are very rare around here.

Jacob

Video of patio furniture being blown off 30-story buildings in Vancouver: https://twitter.com/i/status/1460350521198342146

Also, one of the bridges into downtown is closed because a barge has become unmoored and is drifting that way (the barge in the video I linked in the previous thread, in fact)

Barrister

The good part about that dump of snow we got at the start of the week is that the local ski hill in towns is opening!  Planning to take the kids Friday night in fact.

So we got annual passes last year for the first time which was a life-saver - with Covid it was one of the very few activities we could do.  We got passes again this year, but I'm not as sure how often we'll be using them, what with hockey going full-blast.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Cold, Windy and wet here.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

It is cold enough today that I've put socks on at home. :o

edit: Actually real cold, I finally switched out of shorts. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Storm Arwen knocked down my fence. Actual snow lying which is rare down near the sea.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2021, 07:19:58 AM
It is cold enough today that I've put socks on at home. :o

edit: Actually real cold, I finally switched out of shorts. :blush:

Sometimes I wear shocks in bed.  :bowler:

This morning I was surprised the heating came on as it was only set to 10.5C *

* I think the temperature reader on the thermostat is wildly inaccurate, it seems to read 3C or so too low.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

First day of snow here. 3-4 centimeters.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Little late in the year to have tornado sirens...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017