News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Some flooding in Massachusetts including a stretch of highway in eastern MA. But doesn't look like we got hit as bad as NY, NJ, PA.

viper37

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/worlds-largest-carbon-capture-plant-will-soon-operate-in-iceland
Great carbon capture plant, taking CO2 from the atmosphere and transforming it in rocks.  Interesting.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2021, 08:23:48 AM
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/worlds-largest-carbon-capture-plant-will-soon-operate-in-iceland
Great carbon capture plant, taking CO2 from the atmosphere and transforming it in rocks.  Interesting.

This is fantastic, ultimately these kinds of things will be key to climate management in the future. I hope this one is a huge success.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Over 80F today in Southern England.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2021, 02:45:52 PM

About the same temps here in North eastern US. September is a beautiful weather month here.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on September 07, 2021, 08:49:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2021, 02:45:52 PM

About the same temps here in North eastern US. September is a beautiful weather month here.

Yep, thanks KRonn for the reminder to actually get out and enjoy it.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

It is now over 80 in my flat. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Last days of Summer so it's 31°C in Paris. Even more in flats just under the roof.

PDH

I love this time of year on the central coast of California.  18:30, 68f/20c with the sun going down behind the ever present offshore layer of fog.  Later tonight the fog will roll in, and morning will be foggy until about 10am.

The old joke goes:  "When does Summer start in Santa Cruz"
The answer:  "After lunch."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Apparently, there'll be a heat wave over Canada sometime this week or the next.  Temperatures up to 25-30C for some parts of the country.  Never seen in October. 

Not very surprisingly, Quebec will instead receive a cold wave during that period with temperatures below 10C.   :glare:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2021, 08:49:26 AM
Apparently, there'll be a heat wave over Canada sometime this week or the next.  Temperatures up to 25-30C for some parts of the country.  Never seen in October. 

What? Été indien/Indian summer is just a Joe Dassin's song?!  :P

Not very surprisingly, Quebec will instead receive a cold wave during that period with temperatures below 10C.   :glare:

Traditions are to be kept I guess. :)

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 30, 2021, 12:47:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2021, 08:49:26 AM

What? Été indien/Indian summer is just a Joe Dassin's song?!  :P
Ah, ah. Very funny :)

Indian Summer isn't that warm usually.  20-25 at the most.

Traditions are to be kept I guess. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, traditions sucks, sometimes :P

crazy canuck

First time I can remember, Vancouver had a brief tornado warning.  No confirmation one appeared over land, but there was a water spout just off the UBC campus.

Thing about the warning was nobody knew about it the next day - and really if anyone did hear about the warning - what would we do?

crazy canuck

Being hit hard today with another atmospheric river.  More precipitation is expected to fall today than the total average for all of November.  And then a windstorm expected tomorrow with 90 km/h winds.

Lots of people are going to be wet and cold sitting in the dark when the power goes out.

Barrister

Not really a WTF, but City of Edmonton has a snowfall warning in place, with 10-20cm expected starting this afternoon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.