Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 28, 2012, 09:31:43 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 27, 2012, 04:37:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 27, 2012, 12:13:47 PM
I'd like run you people over with my snowblower.

I have an 8 feet wind built snow tower between my door & the world, help!

In the end, I walked to my in-laws (a little over a mile away) and borrowed their snowblower.

Hmmmm...checks out GF
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

The Toronto storm caused so much havoc for us that we had to delay testing for three nights as the customer tries to get all their trains back to the right yards. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2022, 11:56:09 AM

In the end, I walked to my in-laws (a little over a mile away) and borrowed their snowblower.

Hmmmm...checks out GF

Did you remember reading it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

It's supposed to get below freezing this weekend; which is rare, but not unheard of.  (We can't grow sugarcane or pineapple on a commercial basis in this part of Florida because we do occasionally get freezes.)  While it isn't supposed to get that cold in south Florida they're expected to get  falling iguana weather.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Spring is here, definitely need to get into the garden and do some mass cutting back before everything starts growing again. :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2022, 07:01:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2022, 11:56:09 AM

Hmmmm...checks out GF

Did you remember reading it?

Yeah I vaguely remembered you mentioning that at the time...and you putting the exact day made it easy to go back and get the post :P

It sure has been cold here this February....I mean for Texas. It seems like we used to go years between days under 0C/32F the last two years we have had that about once a week. Very odd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2022, 01:21:00 AM

It sure has been cold here this February....I mean for Texas. It seems like we used to go years between days under 0C/32F the last two years we have had that about once a week. Very odd new climate.

FYP.

To differential our climate changed weather, I'm considering referring to conditions in the past as 'the old weather'

mongers

Spring here as the daffs and snowdrops are out in numbers.  :bowler:

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on February 22, 2022, 02:54:41 PM

I'm cursing at you in Torontonian envy. 😄

... weather is still shit here, and covered in ice and snow.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Here's a recent pic of the bridge over the Humber near my house - the river overflowed its banks, breaking up all the ice, which then re-froze:

https://imgur.com/a/oTstXRr

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 22, 2022, 04:04:54 PM

I hesitate to tell you that I had my shirt off basking in the sun on our back deck this afternoon.  Got cold when the sun passed behind the trees though...

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2022, 06:05:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 22, 2022, 04:04:54 PM

I hesitate to tell you that I had my shirt off basking in the sun on our back deck this afternoon.  Got cold when the sun passed behind the trees though...

Now that is just being nasty!  :cry:

... it was above zero today, actually. Naturally, it rained all day, so now there are puddles of slush and mud everywhere, amid eroded snow banks.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on February 22, 2022, 04:09:21 PM
Here's a recent pic of the bridge over the Humber near my house - the river overflowed its banks, breaking up all the ice, which then re-froze:

https://imgur.com/a/oTstXRr

Good grief, to me that looks like the end of the world.  :(

I'd better not tell you that I may or may not have been sitting in the garden reading with the cat on my lap this afternoon; I may or may not have been wearing just my house clothes and not a coat.  :bowler:

Tonitrus

Snow in Portland, Oregon today...a first in about 80 years this late.

Barrister

There's a winter storm warning out for Winnipeg.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?mb9

They're predicting snowfall of 30-50cm, with winds of 60-70 kph.

From the warning itself:

QuoteDo not plan to travel - this storm has the potential to be the worst blizzard in decades. Stock up on needed supplies and medications now. Power outages are likely, rural areas in particular should be prepared for extended outages.

And here's a news article about how this could be the worst storm since 1997:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/snow-day-winnipeg-school-storm-blizzard-1.6416733

I wasn't actually in Winnipeg for the 1997 blizzard.  I was at a Model UN conference, I think in Wisconsin.  But what I do remember was being trapped in the US because the border was closed.  8 or 10 of us holed up in the one hotel room we could find that was open in Grand Forks, ND (which had also been hit) waiting for the border to open up again.

And then I also remember the massive flood that the 1997 storm kicked off.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.