News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Saw a thing the other day about Napa and how this is a real threat to them. Apparently wineries can no longer be insured there. And even when wineries don't burn, the prevalence of smoke can affect the flavour of the wine.

PDH

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2021, 12:35:47 PM
Saw a thing the other day about Napa and how this is a real threat to them. Apparently wineries can no longer be insured there. And even when wineries don't burn, the prevalence of smoke can affect the flavour of the wine.

If the grapes haven't been harvested they are often ruined by the heavy smoke.  As the vines are cut back every year, this is usually just a one year problem.  Of course, with the wild new weather here it has burned 3 out of 5 years in Napa and Sonoma Counties.  Not being able to get insurance makes this even more problematic...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Those scenes of minor (compared to everything else that has been happening) flooding in London today are crazy. I thought our road had turned into a small river/was glad I'd made it home before the rain began.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Hurricane Henri hit us Sunday, downgraded to a tropical storm. It had me a bit worried as it moved further east and closer to where I am. But it turned out to be not much at all in my area. Light to moderate rain and not much in the way of heavy winds. It actually mostly cleared up early afternoon.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 13, 2021, 08:35:36 AM
Is that what you are hoping for, or are you describing a worst case scenario?
Do I look like I support Maxime Bernier?It's obviously a worst case scenario.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

So hundreds of COVID patients in the hospital are going to die because of power loss, right?

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1431914803505795074
Quote from: The Weather ChannelHurricane #Ida is officially a dangerous Category 4 Hurricane. Maximum sustained winds are at 140 mph. Be aware of life threatening storm surge, potentially catastrophic wind damage, and flooding rainfall.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: National Hurricane Center
29m
5 AM CDT August 29 -- Hurricane #Ida is still intensifying, with the most recent data from the
@NOAA_HurrHunter
aircraft indicating maximum sustained winds are up to 145 mph.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1431919921961787395?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1431919921961787395%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

We're fucked

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1431934499143647241
600 AM CDT Update: #Ida continues to strengthen and now has maximum sustained winds of around 150 MPH with higher gusts, and a minimum pressure of 935 mb (27.61 inches) http://hurricanes.gov

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Double fucked

https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1431938809290268675
BREAKING: Hurricane #Ida now has winds that may be flirting with the Category 5 level.

Aircraft reconnaissance has found evidence of surface winds perhaps approaching 160 mph in the northeast eyewall.

Air temperature spikes about 15 degrees in core.

Worst case-scenario event.

1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2021, 04:43:32 AM
So hundreds of COVID patients in the hospital are going to die because of power loss, right?

Hopefully not.  Diesel generators are a thing.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2021, 06:24:25 AM
We're fucked

We?  I'm pretty fucked but I thought you lived on the other side of the world.

jimmy olsen

I have empathy for my fellow man

https://twitter.com/jake_bittle/status/1431949679244324869

QuoteThe eye of #Ida is going to slam right into Port Fourchon, the port complex that services almost twenty percent of the nation's oil supply.

1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

FYI New Orleans kinda got wrecked and is looking at weeks if not months without power.  Suburbs in Jefferson parish are looking at weeks without power or water.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_ef41b052-0998-11ec-9c32-97779ca0847b.html

ulmont

mongers

Sudden flooding in New Jersey, is DG going to be OK?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Man, Philly really got fucked up by that storm.  My parents are at their shore house but their neighbors said the water between the houses got 4 inches deep, and my hometown was bracketed by two tornadoes that I guess did tons of damage.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points