News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Huckabee in 2012

Started by sbr, May 15, 2011, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on May 26, 2011, 12:05:24 PM
I've liked Bachmann ever since she bitch-slapped Chris Matthews on election night last year.

An accomplishment that's only marginally more difficult than breathing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on May 25, 2011, 05:59:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2011, 04:20:19 PM
Cut all the other energy subsidies as well I 'd be in favor of ending them for oil companies.
I don't understand.  Are you arguing that two wrongs make a right?  If the government needs money why not eliminate the oil subsidy even if you don't eliminate all subsidies?

It never made sense to me to tolerate something bad because we cannot eliminate all evil.
What are the subsidies actually for, with the oil companies? Lots of companies get some kind of subsidy, I think even some tax accounting methods might be considered subsidies? I just think that every time there's a spike in oil prices the current White House occupant, and various politicians, ramp up the same old stuff against the oil comps. Congressional hearings, keeping a watch for oil company price gouging, stop the speculators, etc. Clinton, Bush, now Obama all have done the same. And never anything seems to be found, or nothing very substantial. Seems as much a show as anything substantial to satisfy the public, make it look like the pols are doing something.

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on May 26, 2011, 01:20:22 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 26, 2011, 12:05:24 PM
I've liked Bachmann ever since she bitch-slapped Chris Matthews on election night last year.

An accomplishment that's only marginally more difficult than breathing.

True, but for whatever reason few people he has on his show seem willing to challenge him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2011, 08:33:29 PM
If you jack up oil company taxes you aren't going to hurt much--at current prices they aren't going to cut back production. But this idea they are weaseling out of taxes isn't accurate: exxon had an effective tax rate of 45% last year, chevron 40.3%, and conoco phillips 42.2% (I think those are the 3 largest american producers). Compared with the rest of the fortune 500 they are paying quite a bit.

I was under the impression that these tax breaks were primarily for small independent operators and didn't apply to companies like COP, CVX and XOM.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

The oil company issue is probably driven by the fact that gas prices go up immidiately after oil prices go up but never seem to come down in the same way.  Also, for some reason all gas stations have the same price and increase in concert with one another - at least around here.

Highly efficient market or something else at work?

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2011, 02:04:01 PM
The oil company issue is probably driven by the fact that gas prices go up immidiately after oil prices go up but never seem to come down in the same way.  Also, for some reason all gas stations have the same price and increase in concert with one another - at least around here.

Highly efficient market or something else at work?
Yeah, the gas price thing doesn't make sense.  Every time someone explains it to me, they always rely on 'the prices stay high because the more expensive oil is just working its way through the system', but that doesn't jive with the way that gas prices spike in concert with the increase in oil prices, not as the refined product reaches consumers.

The gas station thing isn't really an issue since most of them are chains anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/05/electoral-consequences-of-rapture.html

Gingrich has completely tanked with Republican voters, providing real confirmation that his campaign rollout has been a total disaster. Only 38% of GOP voters have a favorable opinion of him and there are now more, at 45%, with an unfavorable one. I doubt anyone has ever been nominated for President who ever had negative favorability numbers within their own party less than a year out from the primary season.

It does make you wonder if he actually wants to win.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Cut all the other energy subsidies as well I 'd be in favor of ending them for oil companies. 

Deal.  Glad to have you on board.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I love ethanol subsides. nom nom nom.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2011, 03:58:05 PM

Always been there :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Your lack of support for technological advancement has been noted.  Please stop throwing your wooden shoes into our machines, thanks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on May 26, 2011, 04:35:03 PM
Your lack of support for technological advancement has been noted.  Please stop throwing your wooden shoes into our machines, thanks.

Listen all of y'all it's a sabotage!  :punk:

But seriously, we're all for privately funded technological advancement.  We can no longer afford so many government-financed boondoggles, though.

derspiess

Re: gas prices, the wife & I were talking just yesterday about how ridiculously cheap gas used to be.  Ten years ago, she could fill up her Miata for less than $10 :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 26, 2011, 04:43:04 PM
Re: gas prices, the wife & I were talking just yesterday about how ridiculously cheap gas used to be.  Ten years ago, she could fill up her Miata for less than $10 :lol:

I remember there was a specific gas station I would go to because the gas was 89 cents a gallon.  Ah 1995.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on May 26, 2011, 04:41:30 PM
But seriously, we're all for privately funded technological advancement.  We can no longer afford so many government-financed boondoggles, though.
You'd be amazed at how little private funding drives technology these days.  Even if you ignore the fact that our society has shaped itself in such a way that fundamental scientific advancement is looked down upon, the tools which advance modern science are extremely expensive.  Government grants and tax incentives are pretty important.