News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Huckabee in 2012

Started by sbr, May 15, 2011, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 08:07:19 PM
What did Clinton do that was so terrific as Governor?
Education, tax reform, health care reform, reduction in teen pregnancies, economic growth/unemployment reductions, and welfare reform.  Plus his work nationally as chair of the National Governor's Association, forging a number of bipartisan positions on all those issues.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2011, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2011, 07:55:21 PM
What character do Huntsman and Rubio bring? Being mostly unknown? :unsure:
Don't be too harsh.  Rubio has been a national politician for several months now.  Clearly, he has the experience to be a President.  He even wrote a book!
:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

I could maybe vote for the New Jersey Tubbo if he ran.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2011, 08:08:19 PM
I think you underrate the importance of the President having some standing in his own party (a weakness for Romney in many places to be sure).  Obama's "character" didn't seem to help much when members of his own party had better standing in Congress.
True.  Bush was much more effective as a party leader than Obama has been.

Bush had the Hammer.  Obama has Steny Hoyer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2011, 08:22:08 PM
Education, tax reform, health care reform, reduction in teen pregnancies, economic growth/unemployment reductions, and welfare reform.  Plus his work nationally as chair of the National Governor's Association, forging a number of bipartisan positions on all those issues.

Okay, thank you.  I actually didn't know all that.  I was wasn't very old in the 1980's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 27, 2011, 08:22:08 PM

And before that, he successfully cockpunched utilities on behalf of the consumer as Attorney General.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2011, 08:53:38 PM

Guy is impressive, and smart.  Which is why he won't run in 2012.  If he doesn't have a heart attack and die, he has a good chance in 2016.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 08:57:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2011, 08:08:19 PM
I think you underrate the importance of the President having some standing in his own party (a weakness for Romney in many places to be sure).  Obama's "character" didn't seem to help much when members of his own party had better standing in Congress.
True.  Bush was much more effective as a party leader than Obama has been.
Bush had the Hammer.  Obama has Steny Hoyer.
And Cheney was a heavyweight in the administration.  Compare that to a guy who got caught cribbing speeches from Neil fucking Kinnock.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Give him a few years, if God will.  It's easy to make a splash and create waves, it's harder to put together a record of accomplishments.  Maybe his accomplishments will back up his bluster, but we can't know that now.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2011, 09:29:40 PM
Give him a few years, if God will.  It's easy to make a splash and create waves, it's harder to put together a record of accomplishments.  Maybe his accomplishments will back up his bluster, but we can't know that now.

He's one to keep an eye on.  He'll have a hard job ahead of him as most Govs will for the next few years.

garbon

Huntsman has the background for the job (governor, ambassador, Trade Representative, White House staff). Nothing about his character seems to make him a standout, but he certainly is someone for whom an argument could be made (unlike Rubio).

Oh he's certainly a different case than a junior senator from Florida. However, I'm not sure that he has the "character" factor if many Americans have no idea who he is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Huntsman has the background for the job (governor, ambassador, Trade Representative, White House staff). Nothing about his character seems to make him a standout, but he certainly is someone for whom an argument could be made (unlike Rubio).
I want to clarify that I don't think Rubio should run yet but based on what I've seen I think he'll be a really strong 2016 candidate.

QuoteOh he's certainly a different case than a junior senator from Florida. However, I'm not sure that he has the "character" factor if many Americans have no idea who he is.
That's what the primary season's for :mellow:

QuoteGuy is impressive, and smart.  Which is why he won't run in 2012.  If he doesn't have a heart attack and die, he has a good chance in 2016.
I'm unsure about Christie.  I liked him until I found out he has staff filming those Youtube 'magic moments'.  That makes him seem a bit of a bully to me, I don't think that's how a Governor should treat his constituents.  Also how would he play outside the Northeast?  This could be totally wrong but he seems very much of his area and I don't know how well that style would go down in, say, Iowa or Nevada.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 28, 2011, 04:18:42 AM
That's what the primary season's for :mellow:

Nah the primary season is a time to listen to irrelevant attack ads and have absolutely no idea what the candidate stands for. Actually that's the whole election cycle. :thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Christie definitely is a bully, and a bit too loose with the facts even for a Republican.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2011, 01:57:08 PM
Christie definitely is a bully, and a bit too loose with the facts even for a Republican.

I don't want a guy who nods lovingly and feels the pain of the teachers' union.  I want a guy who calls them out on their bullshit.