News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Huckabee in 2012

Started by sbr, May 15, 2011, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on June 14, 2011, 10:14:42 AM
Well I'm supposedly a libertarian too, so whatever eradication method that was applied here didn't entirely work. :(

I might as well be one too.   :console:

Zoupa

Enlighten me boys. What's the diff between libertardians and anarchists.

Serious question btw.

Gups

There seems to be significant overlap between the two.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2011, 01:34:44 AM

Serious question btw.

Most anarchists want to abolish private property which is a big no-no in libertarian circles. Libertarians generally don't want to abolish government either, simply minimize it's roll.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Libertarians: Reduce the power of the state. Until they need food stamps, then WHERE IS MAH FOOD STAMPS? Then when they recover, resume bitching about government.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2011, 09:31:02 AM
They still seem thick as flies to me. <_<

Yeah but these days all you need to do is want the budget to be balanced and the laws followed to be considered a Libertarian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Serious question btw.

For the pure Libertarians none at all really.

There are 'Minarchist' Libertarians who merely want the State to be as small as possible and those are the guys who participate in politics...for obvious reasons the pure guys find the whole process of elections evil and corrupt and blah blah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

You Euros need to realize that our libertarians are a bit different from yours.  It seems that in Euro-land, libertarians do tend towards anarchism.  But that's not the case over here.  Raz more or less summed it up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I probably should have spelled "Role" correctly. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 15, 2011, 09:41:46 AM
I probably should have spelled "Role" correctly. 

I was going to make a jab about government-funded dinner rolls but decided agin' it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Serious question btw.

They come at it from completely different origins to start with.  Libertarians are an extension of classic liberalism, with it's emphasis on individual rights, and in particular property rights.

Anarchism, when promoted as an actual political philosophy (and not something for drugged out highschoolers to believe in) comes from the political left-wing, and is grounded more in communist / collectivist political thought.

Obviously there is some overlap in the philosophies, but that is the significant difference.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Yeah.  Loony libertarians have a strong undercurrent of 'what's mine is mine and I'll shoot you to keep it', while loony anarchists have a strong undercurrent of 'what's yours is mine and I'll shoot you to take it'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Libertardians believe the government should not be involved in mental retardation. But everyone knows that's impossible.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2011, 10:05:04 AM

Serious question btw.

They come at it from completely different origins to start with.  Libertarians are an extension of classic liberalism, with it's emphasis on individual rights, and in particular property rights.

Anarchism, when promoted as an actual political philosophy (and not something for drugged out highschoolers to believe in) comes from the political left-wing, and is grounded more in communist / collectivist political thought.

Obviously there is some overlap in the philosophies, but that is the significant difference.

There is at least one strand of anarchism that comes from libertarianism, Anarcho-Capitalism like that espoused by Murray Rothbard.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2011, 11:10:41 AM
Yeah.  Loony libertarians have a strong undercurrent of 'what's mine is mine and I'll shoot you to keep it', while loony anarchists have a strong undercurrent of 'what's yours is mine and I'll shoot you to take it'.

That's pretty good Neil.  There's your one point for 2011. :thumbsup:

But you went oh-fer in 2010 so you're still one in the hole.  :(