News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Huckabee in 2012

Started by sbr, May 15, 2011, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

What bullshit is that?  Generally an employer who hates his employees is not an effective employer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2011, 04:14:29 PM
What bullshit is that? 

"Generally an employer who hates his employees is not an effective employer."

I don't think this one has been used but it's a good example of the concept.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2011, 04:03:09 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2011, 01:57:08 PM
Christie definitely is a bully, and a bit too loose with the facts even for a Republican.

I don't want a guy who nods lovingly and feels the pain of the teachers' union.  I want a guy who calls them out on their bullshit.

Again with the teachers' unions.  Yi must've been molested by one or something.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2011, 04:37:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2011, 04:14:29 PM
What bullshit is that? 

"Generally an employer who hates his employees is not an effective employer."

I don't think this one has been used but it's a good example of the concept.

I certainly get a "hate" vibe from Republicans concerning Unions.  But if the Teacher's union said that they believe Republicans love them everything would then be hunky-dory?  Is that your answer?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2011, 05:05:34 PM
I certainly get a "hate" vibe from Republicans concerning Unions.  But if the Teacher's union said that they believe Republicans love them everything would then be hunky-dory?  Is that your answer?

No.  For everything to be hunky dory the teachers' unions would have to say "we get really nice salaries right now and enormous pensions, and we can't be fired, but unfortunately the state representatives we bought and paid for are in the minority right now so please support our efforts to keep the status quo, not because it has anything to do with the quality of education your children recieve but because we will be unhappy if we lose any of that."  Then there would be no bullshit to call out.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2011, 05:16:41 PM

No.  For everything to be hunky dory the teachers' unions would have to say "we get really nice salaries right now and enormous pensions, and we can't be fired, but unfortunately the state representatives we bought and paid for are in the minority right now so please support our efforts to keep the status quo, not because it has anything to do with the quality of education your children recieve but because we will be unhappy if we lose any of that."  Then there would be no bullshit to call out.

they get really nice salaries?

Eddie Teach

Not compared to pharmacists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2011, 06:47:41 PM

No, and they can be fired.  Don't know about what pensions he refers to - most teachers seem to get standard public employee pensions.  But Yi never lets facts get in the way of his rants.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2011, 06:47:41 PM

71K goes pretty far in Wisconsin.  65K goes pretty far in Georgia.  86K goes pretty far in upstate New York.

sbr

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on May 28, 2011, 08:16:37 PM
Link?
Here's the Adirondack Central School System link for wages:
http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/new-york/teacher-salary-in-adirondack-central-school-district/
Here's a list of who actually makes what in New York State http://www.seethroughny.net/StatePayroll/tabid/69/Default.aspx?BRANCHID=6

Search for Adirondack Central Schools, and you will find that 5 teachers make $85,000 or more, out of 113.

I suppose $86,000 does go pretty far, but less than 5% of teachers in ACSS make that much.

I could go on, but these are mere facts, and would serve only to disrupt a pretty amusing rant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

No.  For everything to be hunky dory the teachers' unions would have to say "we get really nice salaries right now and enormous pensions, and we can't be fired, but unfortunately the state representatives we bought and paid for are in the minority right now so please support our efforts to keep the status quo, not because it has anything to do with the quality of education your children receive but because we will be unhappy if we lose any of that."  Then there would be no bullshit to call out.

Okay, Rev. Moon.  I'll pass that along.  Of course Missouri Teachers don't have collective bargaining, so I don't know how much good it will do.  Oddly, we still have budget deficits.  One school district has gone to teaching only four days a week now, but that probably won't effect the quality of education those students receive.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2011, 04:03:09 PM
I don't want a guy who nods lovingly and feels the pain of the teachers' union.  I want a guy who calls them out on their bullshit.
He's not calling out the union - or even union officials - he's having a go at his constituents who are just teachers.  Now you can respectfully disagree and argue your case, but I get the sense he's doing it to bolster his national political credentials and for theatre.  I don't think that's a decent way for a Governor to deal with his constituents and I think given his position it's the behaviour of a bully.

Plus I think he'll hit a Gillian Duffy and say something to t
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2011, 08:27:25 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 28, 2011, 08:16:37 PM
Link?
Here's the Adirondack Central School System link for wages:
http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/new-york/teacher-salary-in-adirondack-central-school-district/
Here's a list of who actually makes what in New York State http://www.seethroughny.net/StatePayroll/tabid/69/Default.aspx?BRANCHID=6

Search for Adirondack Central Schools, and you will find that 5 teachers make $85,000 or more, out of 113.

I suppose $86,000 does go pretty far, but less than 5% of teachers in ACSS make that much.

I could go on, but these are mere facts, and would serve only to disrupt a pretty amusing rant.
Looking at your link, even the 10th percentile teachers are making roughly the median household income in Boonville, and housing prices there seem quite low.  Teaching would definitely be a good living there.  Mind you, that's not a bad thing, since Oneida County doesn't have a lot going for it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.