News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Huckabee in 2012

Started by sbr, May 15, 2011, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Was Bill Clinton's avoiding the draft and smoking pot decisions to propel him into the Whitehouse?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2011, 12:42:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 26, 2011, 06:45:27 PM
You'd be amazed at how little private funding drives technology these days.

You mean like Twitter, Google and Microsoft?
But what about other miracles of the last decade or two?  Can a company even the size of Google come up with GPS?  Or Internet, for that matter?

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2011, 01:44:37 PM

But what about other miracles of the last decade or two?  Can a company even the size of Google come up with GPS?  Or Internet, for that matter?

I am not saying there is no role for government.  I am saying it is not the only thing that "drives technology these days".

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 01:25:24 PM
Was Bill Clinton's avoiding the draft and smoking pot decisions to propel him into the Whitehouse?

No, nor were his other shenanigans.  But by his own account he had his eyes firmly set on becoming president since he met JFK.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Yeah, or space trav-- oh, oops, never mind :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Somehow I don't see private travel to the Moon in the cards, at least not for a while.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2011, 02:56:09 PM
Somehow I don't see private travel to the Moon in the cards, at least not for a while.

And that's a bad thing why, exactly?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Moon is boring.  Not much up there. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on May 27, 2011, 02:56:59 PM

And that's a bad thing why, exactly?
Without moon travel, we wouldn't have the Apollo 13 movie.

derspiess

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

The moon?  No, not anytime soon.  But space is space!

Razgovory

Only 60 years behind the Reds.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 02:58:44 PM
Moon is boring.  Not much up there. 

No green moon men?  No hot chicks whose only non-human trait is antennas coming out of their heads?  :weep:

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 03:06:15 PM

And look how far ahead of us they are today!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on May 27, 2011, 03:09:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 27, 2011, 03:06:15 PM

And look how far ahead of us they are today!

Who is this "us"?  I'm not part of a private space company.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on May 27, 2011, 02:53:20 PM

Yeah, or space trav-- oh, oops, never mind :P
The only manned voyage to anywhere in space was funded by a national government, as have most, if not all, of the unmanned voyages.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.