News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Huckabee in 2012

Started by sbr, May 15, 2011, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

I was amused when all the Republicans voted against ending subsidies to the largest oil companies, claiming it would be "raising taxes".

Yeah, we can't be ending subsidies - that would be like raising taxes and thus increasing the size of the government and creating market distortions! :lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2011, 10:56:31 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2011, 09:48:55 AM
In what way? 

Stupid ideas such as birtherism. Birtherism was basically harmless, but incredibly stupid. The concern over fiat money seems to be going mainstream among republicans--see Pawlenty--before that was something for fringe candidates such as Paul. Some republican states are passing laws for alternative currencies.

Silly tax reform overhauls like the "fair tax" are getting a lot of traction on the Republican side.

The toxic reaction to anything "obamacare" related is overdone.

The latest idea to replace medicare with vouchers is a rare feat in that it combines horrible politics with horrible policy.

The general desire to sharply cut spending in a recession, but of course not on the military, isn't very sound.

Those are the first things that come to mind. I'm probably leaving a few off.

Thanks for sharing.  I was asking Yi for his opinion  :bowler:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2011, 04:10:35 PM

Aren't we all Yi?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 25, 2011, 03:05:43 PM
I was amused when all the Republicans voted against ending subsidies to the largest oil companies, claiming it would be "raising taxes".

Well, technically the measure would have eliminated tax breaks.  When you lose tax breaks, then your tax liability does go up.  So it's not dishonest to call that raising taxes.

QuoteYeah, we can't be ending subsidies - that would be like raising taxes and thus increasing the size of the government and creating market distortions! :lol:

Cut all the other energy subsidies as well I 'd be in favor of ending them for oil companies. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 25, 2011, 11:57:10 AM
We'll find out. Pawlenty is currently in Iowa talking about getting rid of ethanol and farm subsidies,

That made me finally take notice of him.  I've liked what I've heard, so far. 

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2011, 04:19:51 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2011, 04:10:35 PM

Aren't we all Yi?

I feel like I don't know Yi any more :weep:

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2011, 04:20:19 PM
Cut all the other energy subsidies as well I 'd be in favor of ending them for oil companies.
No, that's not a good idea.  Creating tax subsidies for industries that need incentive to expand for social reasons (solar satellites, fission reactors or fusion reactors) when to do so might not otherwise be profitable is a worthwhile use of the government's ability to set tax rates.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2011, 05:06:34 PM
No, that's not a good idea.  Creating tax subsidies for industries that need incentive to expand for social reasons (solar satellites, fission reactors or fusion reactors) when to do so might not otherwise be profitable is a worthwhile use of the government's ability to set tax rates.

Nah, no thanks.  But if you guys want to subsidize that stuff, feel free.

grumbler

I don't understand.  Are you arguing that two wrongs make a right?  If the government needs money why not eliminate the oil subsidy even if you don't eliminate all subsidies?

It never made sense to me to tolerate something bad because we cannot eliminate all evil.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2011, 05:53:38 PM
Nah, no thanks.  But if you guys want to subsidize that stuff, feel free.
No, you'll subsidize that.  And you'll subsidize oil, and ethanol, and pretty much everything else.  There is no political support to cut much of anything in your country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 25, 2011, 10:22:05 AM
That factors into your support for Obama?  Obama himself has thrown Bush under the bus every chance he's had.

Yes.  To end a feud someone has to make the first gesture.  That person is ME.:punk:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2011, 08:02:19 PM
Yes.  To end a feud someone has to make the first gesture.  That person is ME.:punk:

Your beautiful black President thanks you for your support.  Welcome back to sanity, my brother.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2011, 08:04:45 PM
Welcome back to sanity, my brother.

If you move out to Seattle now you might be in time to vote for Kucinich.

alfred russel

If you jack up oil company taxes you aren't going to hurt much--at current prices they aren't going to cut back production. But this idea they are weaseling out of taxes isn't accurate: exxon had an effective tax rate of 45% last year, chevron 40.3%, and conoco phillips 42.2% (I think those are the 3 largest american producers). Compared with the rest of the fortune 500 they are paying quite a bit.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 24, 2011, 07:51:05 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 24, 2011, 05:49:50 PM
:weep:

Now I've no horse in this race.  Though I like Huntsman.  Really need to roll-on to when Rubio's running :wub:

And I'd rather see Bachmann in the White House than Romney <_<
WTF?

Romney would be a pretty moderate president. Bachmann is batshit insane.

I can get people liking Huckebee, he seems like a nice guy, but Backmann? She's a shrill ignorant harpy.

I've liked Bachmann ever since she bitch-slapped Chris Matthews on election night last year.

Though for some odd reason I keep wanting to call her "Barbara" Bachmann :huh: