[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Ahh Ignatieff is talking - I wonder if he's gonna announce his resignation.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Drakken

Quote from: Grallon on May 02, 2011, 10:15:08 PM

G.

He'll get stabbed in the ribs by an angry mob of Liberal cronies if he doesn't, it's the closest to Caesar he'll ever get.

Neil

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 02, 2011, 10:08:37 PM
My archsovereignist relatives voted NDP. It has nothing to do with their fervour, and everything to do with trying to dislodge the logjam that federal politics had become.
You know, this is something that I've noticed from actually reading up on what the NDP were saying lately.  They've really played some of the elements of the Tea Party movement.  Not so much the fiscal conservatism or the right-wing lunacy, but more the 'existing parties are evil' thing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Drakken on May 02, 2011, 10:15:57 PM
Quote from: Grallon on May 02, 2011, 10:15:08 PM
He'll get stabbed in the ribs by an angry mob of Liberal cronies if he doesn't, it's the closest to Caesar he'll ever get.
He's saying that he'll serve in whatever role the party wants him.  Since he won't be in the House of Commons, I think that he doesn't really have any chance of staying on as leader.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on May 02, 2011, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 10:11:07 PM

I think the wishful thinking is coming from our friends from Quebec - that the smashing of the Bloc is good for sovereignty, and a Con majority is bad for the Conservatives.

Somehow, if the Cons got smashed instead, and the Bloc won ever seat in Quebec, I doubt you guys would be saying the opposite ...

Your stiff displeasure is indication enough we are right.  There's nothing like the discomfiture of a Torontonian federalist to soothe our ego.

G.

I suppose your ego needs soothing this night.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Somehow, if the Cons got smashed instead, and the Bloc won ever seat in Quebec, I doubt you guys would be saying the opposite ...

If the Bloc had won every seat in Quebec, we would have witnessed a different campaign in Quebec, so I don't know what I would have said. Obviously, you have been following the campaign in Quebec quite closely...

For my part, I'll simply say that I do not really understand why the Conservative won in the greater Toronto area. I'll defer to your expert judgement on that other part of the country. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 10:22:29 PM

Why? He already wrote he did not vote.

But I suppose it is a sign that sovereignty is dying within Grallon. At least that is how one has to read it.

Neil

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 10:23:40 PM
I thought Iggy's speech quite dignified.

As was the rest of his campaign, I thought. Even more so when compared to Harper's.

Neil

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 02, 2011, 10:24:23 PM
Why? He already wrote he did not vote.

But I suppose it is a sign that sovereignty is dying within Grallon. At least that is how one has to read it.
That's how I read it.  Grallon's getting old, and passion for politics is a young man's game.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 02, 2011, 10:23:13 PM

If the Bloc had won every seat in Quebec, we would have witnessed a different campaign in Quebec, so I don't know what I would have said. Obviously, you have been following the campaign in Quebec quite closely...

For my part, I'll simply say that I do not really understand why the Conservative won in the greater Toronto area. I'll defer to your expert judgement on that other part of the country.

My point is that no matter what the vote, you guys would - and do - say exactly the same thing: "this will be good for sovereignty".

The Bloc wins all the seats? Good for sovereignty. The Bloc wins no seats? Good for sovereignty. The Cons win a majority? Good for sovereignty ...

Grallon

No Malthus - you do not understand.  Not for a lack of intelligence - but for a lack of empathy.  I've often said Canada is built on the denial of what Quebec is and your interpretation of my reactions is an illustration of that.  The Bloc had become a... road bloc to Quebec's progression.  It needed to go.  And now the opposition between the 2 countries existing in this federation will become even more tangible.  A majority of Canadians chose the Conservatives on the right - while a majority of Quebecers chose the left with the NDP.  You can't get any more obvious than that.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Fireblade

QuoteTaken:   Leading in:    Percent:
Conservative 144            22                39.96
NDP             83              22                30.86
Liberal          24              9                  19.38
Bloc              0               3                   5.54
Green            0               1                  3.51

lololol suck it frogs.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 10:26:36 PM
The Bloc wins all the seats? Good for sovereignty. The Bloc wins no seats? Good for sovereignty. The Cons win a majority? Good for sovereignty ...

Not quite. Some of it is quite probably wishful thinking. I do not, for instance, equate a strong Cons. government with something being good for sovereignty. I did not say that the Bloc's debacle was something good for sovereignty. What I did write was that one should not automatically track the fate of sovereignty as a political option with the fate of the BQ or the PQ. That is apparently something which is quite hard to fathom in the Rest of Canada, because we always hear, right on cue, on each defeat of the PQ, or - formerly, on each variation of the BQ's vote - "this time, sovereignty is really done for, right?". There are many more variables at play here.