[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2011, 09:53:09 PM
A sovereign Quebec is now a possibility.

Meh? A historic defeat for the party of sovereignty = sovereignty *more* popular?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 09:47:32 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 02, 2011, 09:14:39 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2011, 09:11:50 PM
They're doing better than expected in Toronto. (The Cons). Their overall vote percentage hasn't seemed to change much, but they're winning seats. A lot of them may be very close though. Iggy's having a tough ride in his own riding.
I noticed that the Tories were leading inside the 401, which sounded weird to me.

Iggy deserves to lose.  Parachuting candidates are usually pretty bad.
I was hoping for a minority gov't again - but I'm happy if Iggy loses in my riding.
I don't think that a minority government was feasible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on May 02, 2011, 09:53:39 PM
This is good.  As I said Harper will abuse this majority and then we'll be able to flush out the Conservatives.

G.

And a con majority = bad for the Cons?

What next - that this election is really a Lib win?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 09:56:00 PM

Meh? A historic defeat for the party of sovereignty = sovereignty *more* popular?

Sovereignty isn't achieve in Ottawa but in Quebec. An Harper majority will help the cause.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2011, 07:25:29 PM
I voted. It was for the NDP. Testify.

You Quebecois that don't vote Bloc make me sick.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2011, 09:58:02 PM
Sovereignty isn't achieve in Ottawa but in Quebec. An Harper majority will help the cause.
Why would you be a sovereigntist anyways?  Aren't you the kind of of guy who needs Canada to send money to Quebec so that they can support you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 09:56:00 PM

We shall see - personally, seems to me that crushing the bloc is a signal.

Grallon

Sovereignty isn't achieved in Ottawa but in Quebec. An Harper majority will help the cause.

Yes that is so.  On the one hand Harper and his cohort will go on doing what they do - and on the other Quebecers will soon realize this strong NDP contingent won't be able to deliver what they want: a weak federal govt and strong regional states.  When you combine this with the upcoming election of the PQ in 2 years - and you have a nice setup for the next referendum.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Iggy's getting hammered - he's trailing by over a thousand votes.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 10:02:30 PM

As always, the dynamics of sovereignty are so much more difficult to track - despite the everlasting wishful thinking in English Canada - than the vicissitudes of one or the other party.

My archsovereignist relatives voted NDP. It has nothing to do with their fervour, and everything to do with trying to dislodge the logjam that federal politics had become.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 02, 2011, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 10:02:30 PM

As always, the dynamics of sovereignty are so much more difficult to track - despite the everlasting wishful thinking in English Canada - than the vicissitudes of one or the other party.

My archsovereignist relatives voted NDP. It has nothing to do with their fervour, and everything to do with trying to dislodge the logjam that federal politics had become.

I think the wishful thinking is coming from our friends from Quebec - that the smashing of the Bloc is good for sovereignty, and a Con majority is bad for the Conservatives.

Somehow, if the Cons got smashed instead, and the Bloc won ever seat in Quebec, I doubt you guys would be saying the opposite ...

Jacob

A Conservative majority, eh? I guess we'll see what Harper's all about now.

Grallon

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2011, 10:11:07 PM

I think the wishful thinking is coming from our friends from Quebec - that the smashing of the Bloc is good for sovereignty, and a Con majority is bad for the Conservatives.

Somehow, if the Cons got smashed instead, and the Bloc won ever seat in Quebec, I doubt you guys would be saying the opposite ...

Your stiff displeasure is indication enough we are right.  There's nothing like the discomfiture of a Torontonian federalist to soothe our ego.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel