The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 09:26:33 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 09:20:49 AM
The French don't like it when people fail to retreat or surrender when given the opportunity to do so. :)

Heh. Nice living up to the meme.  :D

But seriously ... I just can't see how the Air France "superiors" could have the nerve to punish a guy who put his ass on the line for others.
Insurance related reasons?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2011, 08:35:40 AM
I am not sure Pakistan is that friendly. In fact, I am pretty sure they are considerably less friendly than South Vietnam was...
I am quite sure that Pakistan is not at all friendly.  The very definition of a marriage of convenience, in fact.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 11, 2011, 10:24:04 AM
The French don't like it when people fail to retreat or surrender when given the opportunity to do so. :)

But seriously ... I just can't see how the Air France "superiors" could have the nerve to punish a guy who put his ass on the line for others.
Insurance related reasons?

Heh, that would make a sort of sense ...

A quick googling turns up no source for this "reprimand", though it gets repeated a lot - it may just be a bit of urban mythology. If so, it is a damaging bit for Air France ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

I can understand their logic - his actions placed more lives in danger (his own and his crews) making a potential rescue that much harder, and for not good purpose.

That being said, I still think he was right and courageous to do so. But I can see why Air France may have felt that they needed to make at least a token reprimand - after all, I bet they have established policy about what should be done in those circumstances, and I bet it is pretty much "If any hostage offers to let anyone go, you take them up on that offer, period."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2011, 08:27:52 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2011, 09:31:14 PM
Quote from: jamesww on May 10, 2011, 09:22:17 PM
I'd have thought it goes without saying, if you plan such a risky mission, then there will be all sorts of back up firepower and other options readied. 

To go in on a wing and a prayer, hoping it all goes largely to plan, would seem to be grossly negligent on the part of the planners and commanders.

A contingency plan to shoot your way out of an ostensibly friendly country is hardly as commonplace as you make it out.

I can't think of any precedent myself.

Pakistan is a friendly country in the same way South Vietnam was.

I am not sure Pakistan is that friendly. In fact, I am pretty sure they are considerably less friendly than South Vietnam was...

I'm pretty sure South Vietnam fought against the Viet Cong and NVA and didn't harbor any of them, so yeah, you're right.

While were making analogies, I'd say it's like the UK sheltering Hitler a mile from Whitehall during WWII.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 11, 2011, 11:55:34 AM
I'm pretty sure South Vietnam fought against the Viet Cong and NVA and didn't harbor any of them, so yeah, you're right. 
This is a joke, tight?  I mean, the Viet Cong were South Vietnamese, so wouldn't have been fighting against themselves.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 10:37:10 AM
I am quite sure that Pakistan is not at all friendly.  The very definition of a marriage of convenience, in fact.
I am quite sure that countries cannot be friendly, because friendliness requires one to be able to feel an emotion, and a country is merely a legal fiction incapable of feelings.

Some Pakistanis are friendly to the US, some are not.  Some who are not friendly act as though they are, and some who are act as if they are not; this is because they almost all act in self-interest no matter what they feel.

Bottom line:  talking about what "Pakistan is" is pretty much a waste of time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quotefriend·ly
   /ˈfrɛndli/ Show Spelled [frend-lee] Show IPA adjective, -li·er, -li·est, adverb, noun, plural -lies.
–adjective
characteristic of or befitting a friend;  showing friendship: a friendly greeting.
like a friend;  kind; helpful: a little friendly advice.
favorably disposed; inclined to approve, help, or support: a friendly bank.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2011, 02:17:44 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 10:37:10 AM
I am quite sure that countries cannot be friendly, because friendliness requires one to be able to feel an emotion, and a country is merely a legal fiction incapable of feelings.

Some Pakistanis are friendly to the US, some are not.  Some who are not friendly act as though they are, and some who are act as if they are not; this is because they almost all act in self-interest no matter what they feel.

Bottom line:  talking about what "Pakistan is" is pretty much a waste of time.

So-- you're pretending not to know that they're talking about the South Vietnamese & Pakistani governments, right? :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2011, 11:52:10 AM

I can understand their logic - his actions placed more lives in danger (his own and his crews) making a potential rescue that much harder, and for not good purpose.

That being said, I still think he was right and courageous to do so. But I can see why Air France may have felt that they needed to make at least a token reprimand - after all, I bet they have established policy about what should be done in those circumstances, and I bet it is pretty much "If any hostage offers to let anyone go, you take them up on that offer, period."

Yeah, but what is a hostage's offer worth under these circumstances?  ;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2011, 02:50:25 PM
Btw, the Hofbrauhaus Maibock is awesome this year :thumbsup:
Haven't been up there this year.  We were supposed to go up there and to IKEA with a friend of Princesca's but never got around to it. :(

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2011, 02:39:50 PM
So-- you're pretending not to know that they're talking about the South Vietnamese & Pakistani governments, right? :unsure:
So - you are pretending that governments are not made up of many people, who have often conflicting agendas, especially in cases where governments are extremely weak as in Pakistan and South Vietnam, right? :unsure:

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017