The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2011, 02:56:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2011, 02:41:21 PM
I don't know. It seems like a perfect message a "moderate" (a Hawkish voter willing to vote Democrat) ...

There are no such voters in America though.
Irony?

You voted for Obama and you're pretty hawkish.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2011, 05:22:14 PM
Well although Berkut couldn't be bothered to tear into Chomsky, I guess Hitchens had nothing better to do:

http://www.slate.com/id/2293541/

Good article, although it is a little unfair of Hitchens - like Alex Rodribuez showing up my kids little league game and hitting home runs. Sure, you can do it, but it doesn't really mean anything...

I did like his point that Chomsky is actually saying that the Americans are actually WORSE than the Nazis, since the Nazis were not so uncouth as to actually name their weapons "Jews" and "Gypsys"....while apparently we actually do...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 10, 2011, 02:30:17 PM
Wonder what the purpose is in leaking this?

Someone felt the need to state the obvious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jamesww

I'd have thought it goes without saying, if you plan such a risky mission, then there will be all sorts of back up firepower and other options readied. 

To go in on a wing and a prayer, hoping it all goes largely to plan, would seem to be grossly negligent on the part of the planners and commanders.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jamesww on May 10, 2011, 09:22:17 PM
I'd have thought it goes without saying, if you plan such a risky mission, then there will be all sorts of back up firepower and other options readied. 

To go in on a wing and a prayer, hoping it all goes largely to plan, would seem to be grossly negligent on the part of the planners and commanders.

A contingency plan to shoot your way out of an ostensibly friendly country is hardly as commonplace as you make it out.

I can't think of any precedent myself.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2011, 07:09:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2011, 05:22:14 PM
Well although Berkut couldn't be bothered to tear into Chomsky, I guess Hitchens had nothing better to do:

http://www.slate.com/id/2293541/

Good article, although it is a little unfair of Hitchens - like Alex Rodribuez showing up my kids little league game and hitting home runs. Sure, you can do it, but it doesn't really mean anything...

I did like his point that Chomsky is actually saying that the Americans are actually WORSE than the Nazis, since the Nazis were not so uncouth as to actually name their weapons "Jews" and "Gypsys"....while apparently we actually do...

I got agree with Berk. Why waste time even critiquing Chomsky? Fool's errand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2011, 09:31:14 PM

A contingency plan to shoot your way out of an ostensibly friendly country is hardly as commonplace as you make it out.

How many precedents are there for that type of mission at all?

At least that made it far enough to become public?

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on May 10, 2011, 11:16:55 PM

Adolf Eichmann is all I can think of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2011, 11:27:14 PM

And they didn't shoot him right away.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Pakistan is a friendly country in the same way South Vietnam was.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2011, 08:27:52 AM

Pakistan is a friendly country in the same way South Vietnam was.

I am not sure Pakistan is that friendly. In fact, I am pretty sure they are considerably less friendly than South Vietnam was...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2011, 11:27:14 PM

The Entebbe mission?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Entebbe

Though Uganda was "questionable" in its friendliness ...  ;)

Edit: I never knew this. Guy's a hero (and it makes Air France look like a bunch of assholes!)

QuoteFor refusing to depart (and subsequently leave some of his passengers as hostages) when given leave to do so by the hijackers, Captain Bacos was reprimanded by his superiors at Air France and suspended from duty for a period.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

The French don't like it when people fail to retreat or surrender when given the opportunity to do so. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 09:20:49 AM
The French don't like it when people fail to retreat or surrender when given the opportunity to do so. :)

Heh. Nice living up to the meme.  :D

But seriously ... I just can't see how the Air France "superiors" could have the nerve to punish a guy who put his ass on the line for others.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points