The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Josephus on May 17, 2011, 10:43:20 AM
Who cares about the rotor tail?

I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on May 17, 2011, 10:43:20 AM
Who cares about the rotor tail?
It's part of the stealth system on the helo. And I think the article says that this helo stealth technology wouldn't even be known if not for this crash.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2011, 10:34:15 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 17, 2011, 10:28:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2011, 10:24:36 AM
Who cares about Kerry? :x
I've been very sour on him. He's my State Senator but I've never had much regard for him. Still don't really, but he does have his positive sides which I give him some credit for.

That doesn't answer my question...and he was my state senator at one point as well. :contract:
Well, I'm sure many Dems care about Kerry's doings and such.  ;)   

So you had the pleasure of Kerry serving you in Congress!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I lost all respect for Kerry when he tried to get a cheesesteak with SWISS CHEESE in Philadelphia. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2011, 12:54:47 PM
I lost all respect for Kerry when he tried to get a cheesesteak with SWISS CHEESE in Philadelphia. :wacko:

He used a napkin also. That is what his shirt is for.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

ORLY?  I didn't know that.  Kerry respeck -10. :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2011, 12:58:32 PM
ORLY?  I didn't know that.  Kerry respeck -10. :mad:

You know that elitist prick had a napkin or a wet-nap nearby.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

He probably had a staffer whose sole job is holding the wet-naps.

mongers

Interesting piece about Saudi Arabian reaction to OBL death, including people who knew him.

Jamal Khashoggi, who had travelled extensively with Bin Laden in Afghanistan, attended the talk and afterwards asked his old friend how he could be so certain of the future.

"He recited a verse from the Koran," recalls Jamal.

"The verse means the one who practises jihad for God, for Allah, God will show them the right path. I wasn't comfortable about it. He had given himself the position of 'I am seeing things because God is directing me towards it'. That was the first time I felt that Osama began to have an inflated ego."
For Jamal Khashoggi, there is something apt about the fact that Bin Laden was killed at this time, in the midst of much upheaval in the Middle East.

"His organisation, ideas and thoughts reached a dead end," he said.

"They all failed in Tahrir Square.
He could have done much better for himself, for his family, for his religion if he had remained a moderate."

Full article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-middle-east-13419741

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2011, 01:02:25 PM

And he probably tried to order in French.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

dps

Quote from: Caliga on May 17, 2011, 01:02:25 PM

Forget the wet-naps;  if I were a Senator, I'd just wipe my hands on my staffers' shirts.

Well, not really, but it's fun to pretend.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!