News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Adventures in Self-Publishing

Started by Jacob, April 21, 2011, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on April 21, 2011, 09:24:18 PM
It's a cute story, but you're in need of an editor. Lots of typos in the piece. (Can you still fix those?)
Really? You mean, beyond Canadian spelling eh?

Oh fuck.

But yeah, I can fix it.

... if you tell me what you mean. There were some stylistic choices and all, you know... but if I don't know what you mean I can't really gauge if that's what you're talking about (in which case I'll say "no typos! It's deliberate!") or whether I really did miss a bunch of things (curses).

QuoteI liked it, though. Worth the price. :)

Thanks!

You're my first customer!  :hug:

Ideologue

I really can't stand fantasy, I'm afraid, but I'll tell Korea to buy it.  Given her reading habits, I doubt it actually matters if it's good or bad.

I mean, I assume it's good, you're a bright guy and an artistic soul, just I can't judge that genre whatsoever; every page of every fantasy book of hers I've ever read has been borderline unreadable, even when it's not being patently offensive in some way, which is of course most of the time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on April 22, 2011, 01:54:06 AM
I really can't stand fantasy, I'm afraid, but I'll tell Korea to buy it.  Given her reading habits, I doubt it actually matters if it's good or bad.

I mean, I assume it's good, you're a bright guy and an artistic soul, just I can't judge that genre whatsoever; every page of every fantasy book of hers I've ever read has been borderline unreadable, even when it's not being patently offensive in some way, which is of course most of the time.

Vegetarianism was very rare in that era. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Mistborn is awesome! Go fuck yourself! :ultra:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2011, 03:26:22 AM

Mistborn is awesome! Go fuck yourself! :ultra:

The reasons for swearing at Ide are legion, but I don't think this rates very highly.  :P

Eddie Teach

I love fantasy, but you're correct that most of it is borderline unreadable. There's not much out there that is both well-written and well thought out.

Generally, the more detailed the map, the better the book. A good map shows the writer at least took the time to imagine the world his story is set in. Compare Goodkind vs Martin for example:

No surprise that the rest of Goodkind's work is half-assed as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Slargos

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2011, 04:52:41 AM
"Mud people" :lol:

:lol:

Can't believe I'd missed that. Any more than I can believe that he had.  :lol:

Josquius

QuoteI love fantasy, but you're correct that most of it is borderline unreadable. There's not much out there that is both well-written and well thought out.

Generally, the more detailed the map, the better the book. A good map shows the writer at least took the time to imagine the world his story is set in. Compare Goodkind vs Martin for example:
hmm....not so sure there. I love a good map but...a map which is too well developed kind of ruins the mystery ajnd setting if your characters are off exploring new lands or the like.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Well, the important thing isn't so much that you can see the map but that the author has taken the time to envision the world he's set his work in. If the world is either empty or made up as the author goes along it tends to be more jarring.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2011, 05:03:40 PM
The next story I'm putting up (just as soon as my friend finishes the cover for me) is a more serious story (still fiction though); it's about Chinese gangsters in Vancover (I've done a bit of research on the subject these last many years).
that's more along my line... remind me/us when it's done please :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

I appreciate the support :)

The next story will be about gangsters and prostitutes and things like that, so maybe you'll appreciate that instead.

Jacob

... and Meri, I've fixed the things you pointed out, plus a couple of other things I caught (including making capitalization consistent for people's titles).  I've uploaded the changes and, given previous experience, it'll only take about 16 hours (heh) before the changes are reflected in the actual store (you can download the new and improved version as well).

To show my gratitude for you picking up on these, I'll give you a free copy of my next story :)

I actually know a guy who does editing, so I'll see if I can get him to help me out, maybe in exchange for some of my wife's cooking. Since I'm saving up for Tim's mapping services, I can't really afford to pay for professional editors.