News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Adventures in Self-Publishing

Started by Jacob, April 21, 2011, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on April 22, 2011, 09:48:48 AMthat's more along my line... remind me/us when it's done please :)

Oh absolutely :cheers:

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2011, 01:35:07 PM
... and Meri, I've fixed the things you pointed out, plus a couple of other things I caught (including making capitalization consistent for people's titles).  I've uploaded the changes and, given previous experience, it'll only take about 16 hours (heh) before the changes are reflected in the actual store (you can download the new and improved version as well).

To show my gratitude for you picking up on these, I'll give you a free copy of my next story :)

I actually know a guy who does editing, so I'll see if I can get him to help me out, maybe in exchange for some of my wife's cooking. Since I'm saving up for Tim's mapping services, I can't really afford to pay for professional editors.

Wise move, though my suggestion tends to work about 99% of the time, even if you've read over the story 100 times. That should save you some cash if you pay by the hour.

EDIT: And I've already fixed the mistakes on my copy so no need to re-download it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2011, 04:52:41 AM
"Mud people" :lol:

Oh yeah, Terry Goodkind is a complete fucking loon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2011, 02:18:53 PM

I wish someone had told me that before I bought the books. The first one I thought was quite good light reading, then it went sharply downhill and I unfortunately bought the whole series. A goof example of an author that just invents new shit in every new book.

Razgovory

Quote from: Threviel on April 22, 2011, 03:19:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2011, 02:18:53 PM

I wish someone had told me that before I bought the books. The first one I thought was quite good light reading, then it went sharply downhill and I unfortunately bought the whole series. A goof example of an author that just invents new shit in every new book.

Man, that is really weird shit.  http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Best of luck Jakie!

Will purchase a copy this weekend when have down time.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2011, 04:48:53 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 22, 2011, 01:54:06 AM
I really can't stand fantasy, I'm afraid, but I'll tell Korea to buy it.  Given her reading habits, I doubt it actually matters if it's good or bad.

I mean, I assume it's good, you're a bright guy and an artistic soul, just I can't judge that genre whatsoever; every page of every fantasy book of hers I've ever read has been borderline unreadable, even when it's not being patently offensive in some way, which is of course most of the time.

I love fantasy, but you're correct that most of it is borderline unreadable. There's not much out there that is both well-written and well thought out.

Generally, the more detailed the map, the better the book. A good map shows the writer at least took the time to imagine the world his story is set in. Compare Goodkind vs Martin for example:

I'm trying to think which one's lazier, "Westland" or that Kushiel's Dildo woman who just uses France but calls it Terre d'Ange.

Goodkind is the "Conan the Libertarian" guy, right?

Quote from: Tim OrtizMistborn is awesome! Go fuck yourself! :ultra:

What, seriously?  This is what you finally lash out about? :lol: :hug:

Quote from: JacobThe next story will be about gangsters and prostitutes and things like that, so maybe you'll appreciate that instead.

I like those things, yes.

Suggested title: "Danger in Vancouver." :ph34r:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on April 22, 2011, 03:46:14 PM
Best of luck Jakie!

Will purchase a copy this weekend when have down time.

Oh yeah! With Meri's copy, that will straight up DOUBLE my take.

I'm counting on my mom to buy one as well....

Jacob

Quote from: IdeologueSuggested title: "Danger in Vancouver." :ph34r:

It already has a title, but if it turn into a series (and that is my plan) then "Danger in Vancouver" is actually pretty good for the whole series. I might use it... unless it's an obvious rip-off of something that I'm not aware of?

Liep

Thought one dollar was a decent price to settle my curiosity for this. Also, paypal makes it too easy to buy stuff.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I only buy the 40 oz. bags nowadays.  Value!
Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on April 22, 2011, 04:31:03 PM
Wait, it's just a dollar?

Not even! 99 cents!

Yeah, the plan is to write a bunch of interconnected short stories in a few genres (the stories being interconnected within their genres only, of course). After a while some of the key characters in the short stories may turn appear in a longer novel, depending on 1: how compelling I find them and 2: how compelling other people seem to find them.

I'm doing the Prince Arkenbright stories (light-hearted fantasy about a prince on quest for his one true princess) and the "Danger in Vancouver" series (Chinese gangsters in Vancouver, possibly branching out to other types of miscreants as well). I've got some other things I'm considering, including a series of mostly true tales from the world of video game development.

I figure starting with short stories is a better approach because 1: They're easier to finish than a full length novel, 2: It's easier (I hope) to persuade people to drop $0.99 for a short story than $4.99 or $6.99 (or more) for a full length novel, and 3: If somebody buys a few short stories in a particular genre I write, they're more likely to spring for a more expensive full length novel in that genre should I write one.

That's the theory anyhow. We'll see how it pans out.

katmai

i was gonna buy it now, but confused as to which option to buy!

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son