News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Adventures in Self-Publishing

Started by Jacob, April 21, 2011, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2011, 05:27:33 PM
The hard part (in addition to writing something that you think is worthwhile), as with most such things, is the marketing. Luckily I have an ace up my sleeve with Languish. If I can get you lot to like what I write I'm sure that, somehow, millions of other people will buy my work as well. It can't fail.
If you want us to like it, it has to involve Anne Franke and the furries.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2011, 05:03:40 PM
On the other hand, if you don't like it, if you just feel like trolling or even if you are inclined to share some well-meaning advice feel free to do so here on languish :)

Your last name is unpronounceable.  It will kill sales.

Tonitrus

If you want to be the next Amanda Hocking, you need to target the teen-girl market.

Throw in some love-sick vampires.  :P

Josquius

How does a short story work on self publishing? :s
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2011, 07:57:26 PM

Your last name is unpronounceable.

Any relations to the Dark Preachers aka. The Cousins?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 21, 2011, 08:08:21 PM
If you want to be the next Amanda Hocking, you need to target the teen-girl market.

Middle-earth Twilight: The Saga of the Fair Maiden, Bella, and The Ranger Jacob?

Elves and vampires. $$$
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2011, 07:57:26 PMYour last name is unpronounceable.  It will kill sales.

I thought about using a pen name, actually, but since I already have a bit of a profile as a writer in the videogame industry I thought I'd stick with my real name. I figured if I'm mainly doing internet publishing anyhow, no one actually has to say my name, they just have to type it.

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on April 21, 2011, 08:58:05 PMAny relations to the Dark Preachers aka. The Cousins?

Yes, absolutely. Søren is my mother's cousin; I've met him many times socially as a kid and it caused some consternation that he didn't show up to my grandmother's funeral. Ole (Folkebevægelsen Mod EF/ Enhedslisten - also my mother's and Søren's cousin) did, however.

The other cousin in "the cousins" - Langballe - is related to Søren away from my family, so to speak, so no relation there as far as I know.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 21, 2011, 05:21:08 PM
Dammit. I was beaten to the punch in self publishing.  :(

So far, my self-publishing has been limited to wrapping it around a brick and throwing it.

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 21, 2011, 08:08:21 PM

I got a plan for that, but if I ever do execute on that I'm pretty sure I'll be using a pseudonym :)

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2011, 08:48:27 PM
How does a short story work on self publishing? :s

What do you mean "how does it work"?

I published it. You can buy it, or not.

That's pretty much it.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2011, 09:09:20 PM

So far, my self-publishing has been limited to wrapping it around a brick and throwing it.

So it's the same as your dating strategy?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2011, 09:16:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2011, 09:09:20 PM

So it's the same as your dating strategy?

Pretty much, yeah.

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on April 21, 2011, 09:07:21 PM
Yes, absolutely. Søren is my mother's cousin; I've met him many times socially as a kid and it caused some consternation that he didn't show up to my grandmother's funeral. Ole (Folkebevægelsen Mod EF/ Enhedslisten - also my mother's and Søren's cousin) did, however.

The other cousin in "the cousins" - Langballe - is related to Søren away from my family, so to speak, so no relation there as far as I know.

I had forgotten about Ole Krarup, brings up good memories of the 'nej til EU' campaigns of the 90s. A good counter to Søren ;) and in any case some interesting people to have in one's family.

merithyn

It's a cute story, but you're in need of an editor. Lots of typos in the piece. (Can you still fix those?)

I liked it, though. Worth the price. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...