News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Timmays to take over by 2019

Started by Martinus, April 10, 2011, 02:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

But where will you take the brood if not America?

And for every Timmay there is a Funkmonk, Garbon and myself. So don't fret so much.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2011, 02:35:36 AM
The term Hispanic sucks ass.

I think it lumps together everyone from south of the border as a generic them. People from Central and South America deserve to be categorized according to their individual country of origin and racial/ethnic background just like people from Europe. An Argentinian of Italian descent, a Guatemalan of Mayan descent and a Dominican of African descent are different people and their degree of assimilation into the United States will be different all other things being equal.

Oh not this ridiculousness again. I'm don't all agree with what you are agitating for, but how did last year's census not do that?*

Looks like only Hispanics and Asians got to select a country of origin...with Asian countries of origin being "races".

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2011, 02:35:36 AMThat's why I find this minority/majority thing absurd, it is predicated on counting Hispanic whites as being forever outside the ''white mainstream", whatever the hell that means. The history of this country indicates the opposite will happen, just as Italian and Southeastern Europeans who were denigrated as being the swarthy other at the turn of the 20th century, Hispanics of white and later on white/native mixture will eventually be absorbed and accepted into the mainstream, while unfortunately those who are black Hispanics won't be. Hopefully that prejudice will be die sooner rather than later, but that day isn't here yet.

So you are positing that "Hispanic whites" will be folded into the "mainstream" while also noting that the prejudice will die out? :unsure:

Similarly, Asians shouldn't be lumped together in one group. Japanese, Koreans, etc are not the same.

But Africans should?

*as an editorial aside, perhaps this splitting of race/origin into thousands of combination will eventually lead us to the realization that race is an outmoded concept. Although for the moment, it seems that while a person is free to check off so many little options, that data eventually gets folded into the old favorite groupings. (http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map - click on any one of the racial grouping tabs)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2011, 09:35:34 AM

Looks like only Hispanics and Asians got to select a country of origin...with Asian countries of origin being "races".

So you are positing that "Hispanic whites" will be folded into the "mainstream" while also noting that the prejudice will die out? :unsure:

Similarly, Asians shouldn't be lumped together in one group. Japanese, Koreans, etc are not the same.

But Africans should?

*as an editorial aside, perhaps this splitting of race/origin into thousands of combination will eventually lead us to the realization that race is an outmoded concept. Although for the moment, it seems that while a person is free to check off so many little options, that data eventually gets folded into the old favorite groupings. (http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map - click on any one of the racial grouping tabs)
I didn't see the '10 census since I was in Korea, I assumed it was similar to the '00 one.

The prejudice I'm talking about is the one against those of African descent.

No, Africans shouldn't. However aside from recent migrants it would be impossible for the vast majority to report the nation of origin of their ancestors given the lack of records.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Yes they should.  Don't be an idiot in the name of equality, Tim.  The African countries are not the equals of the nation-states.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2011, 10:06:55 AM
I didn't see the '10 census since I was in Korea, I assumed it was similar to the '00 one.

Gotcha. But yeah the 2010 census had all of those useless check boxes.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2011, 10:06:55 AM
However aside from recent migrants it would be impossible for the vast majority to report the nation of origin of their ancestors given the lack of records.

So they wouldn't. No big deal to provide the option if you think that it is valuable for the census to ask country of origin.

Oh and for you and Neil, the 2010 census doesn't provide the option to select country of origin if you are a "non-hispanic white". ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2011, 04:03:11 AM
In any case, I'm kinda surprised that for all the "melting pot" analogies going on for decades if not centuries in the US, people of white race (with no mixture of non-"white" genes) still constitute majority of the country's population. It's not as much melting pot, as Ceasar's salad.
I think it is interesting that you buy into this concept of "races."  There is just one race:  the human race.  All the rest of it isn't about genetics, it is about words. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2011, 10:48:58 AM
In any case, I'm kinda surprised that for all the "melting pot" analogies going on for decades if not centuries in the US, people of white race (with no mixture of non-"white" genes) still constitute majority of the country's population. It's not as much melting pot, as Ceasar's salad.
I think it is interesting that you buy into this concept of "races."  There is just one race:  the human race.  All the rest of it isn't about genetics, it is about words.

To an outsider like you, I am sure it seems that way.

Razgovory

In all likely hood, Hispanic will just be considered white in the future.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2011, 04:01:48 AM
The term Hispanic sucks ass.

I think it lumps together everyone from south of the border as a generic them. People from Central and South America deserve to be categorized according to their individual country of origin and racial/ethnic background just like people from Europe. An Argentinian of Italian descent, a Guatemalan of Mayan descent and a Dominican of African descent are different people and their degree of assimilation into the United States will be different all other things being equal. That's why I find this minority/majority thing absurd, it is predicated on counting Hispanic whites as being forever outside the ''white mainstream", whatever the hell that means. The history of this country indicates the opposite will happen, just as Italian and Southeastern Europeans who were denigrated as being the swarthy other at the turn of the 20th century, Hispanics of white and later on white/native mixture will eventually be absorbed and accepted into the mainstream, while unfortunately those who are black Hispanics won't be. Hopefully that prejudice will be die sooner rather than later, but that day isn't here yet.

Would you say that grouping Chinese and Koreans, or Mexicans and Guatemalans together makes less sense than grouping all Europeans together? An honest question.

I think what Timmay is getting at (though I'm not entirely certain) is that while, for example, "Chinese" or "German" both are nationalities and also ethnicities, "Mexican" is a nationality, but not an ethnicitiy, any more than "American" is an ethnicity.  By putting anyone with roots in Latin America into an ethnic group called "Hispanic", you're creating a group that, essentially, is a fiction.

The Brain

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: dps on April 10, 2011, 11:41:27 AM
you're creating a group that, essentially, is a fiction.

But that applies to the whole exercise. :contract:

Neil

Fuck you, hippie.  You unscientific bullshit has been noted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.