News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2011, 11:22:08 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2011, 10:49:57 PM
How is it bullshit? How do you think the country got electricity and telephone service? The Government made companies provide it. Broadband is just as valuable a tool today if not more then the telephone was 70 years ago.
I've never seen evidence that Federal rural electrification or telephone subsidies made sense from an economic standpoint. The studies I have seen indicate that the service would have been provided anyway as costs came down.  I suspect the same is true of cable TV (which was never federally subsidized, as far as I know, and reaches rural areas around here) and broadband.

So when would rural areas get electricity?  1970?  1980?  There are lots of areas around here that get neither broadband or cable.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

How is it bullshit? How do you think the country got electricity and telephone service? The Government made companies provide it. Broadband is just as valuable a tool today if not more then the telephone was 70 years ago.
I've never seen evidence that Federal rural electrification or telephone subsidies made sense from an economic standpoint. The studies I have seen indicate that the service would have been provided anyway as costs came down.  I suspect the same is true of cable TV (which was never federally subsidized, as far as I know, and reaches rural areas around here) and broadband.
I think it was the social utility that was the driving force.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

I know of substantial rural areas that do not get cable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2011, 09:04:13 AM

Someone hundreds of miles out in the Yukon I think may still qualify as "wilderness" and not "rural".

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 10, 2011, 02:45:33 PM
Someone hundreds of miles out in the Yukon I think may still qualify as "wilderness" and not "rural".
I think Whitehorse can be described as 'rural'.  It's a small town.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2011, 02:47:54 PM

I agree.  I was thinking more of smaller places outside of WH, not including the stops along the Al-Can.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2011, 02:47:54 PM
According to the Yellow Pages there are two cable TV companies serving Whitehorse.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/Cable+Television+Companies/Whitehorse+YT
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hansmeister

Apparently Obama is going to give a new speech on reducing the deficit on Wednesday.  I guess he is going to ask for a Mulligan on his extremely unserious budget proposal from last month.

My oh my how fast things change.

Admiral Yi

According to a White House spokesman Obama now considers his 2006 vote to not lift the debt ceiling a mistake.

Woops.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2011, 05:47:03 PM
According to a White House spokesman Obama now considers his 2006 vote to not lift the debt ceiling a mistake.

Woops.

I'm sure the crash of 2008 changed a lot of opinions on how to deal with the economy.  Except for you and Hans, of course.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2011, 06:31:38 PM

Woops.

I'm sure the crash of 2008 changed a lot of opinions on how to deal with the economy.  Except for you and Hans, of course.

By quoting my post then typing your own you're suggesting there's some connection between the two, right? :hmm:

Neil

Woops.
The people who wanted to privatize social security before the crash aren't the sorts of people we should be listening to when it comes to economics.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2011, 06:41:19 PM

Woops.

By quoting my post then typing your own you're suggesting there's some connection between the two, right? :hmm:

I don't answer loaded Yi questions.  That's an IYiD just waiting to detonate.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2011, 07:59:07 PM
I don't answer loaded Yi questions.  That's an IYiD just waiting to detonate.

Run away!  Run away!

dps

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2011, 09:04:13 AM

I suspect that Canada is different than the U.S. in that regard, then.  Here, many rural areas and small towns got cable before the cities, because the cities tended to have multiple broadcast stations and you didn't need cable to pick them up.