News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2011, 08:53:22 PM
Quote from: JonasSalk on April 08, 2011, 08:48:00 PM
Free abortions for minorities; ban abortions for white people. This is the way to fix our Democrat problem.
That crosses the line just a tad, don't you think?

Pretty typical conservative.  You don't have to scratch the surface very hard to find that tasty racist nugget in a Southern Republican.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2011, 09:45:10 PM
Free abortions for minorities; ban abortions for white people. This is the way to fix our Democrat problem.

Pretty typical conservative.  You don't have to scratch the surface very hard to find that tasty racist nugget in a Southern Republican.

But that's not too far from Seedy's rationale.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

QuoteCongressional leaders reach agreement on budget deal
By Paul Kane, Philip Rucker and David A. Fahrenthold, Friday, April , 11:31 PM

Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill have reached an agreement that would avert a federal government shutdown, yielding more spending cuts for Republicans while giving Democrats a key win on an issue related to abortion rights, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's office announced Friday night.

The deal to fund the federal government for the next five months will include $39 billion in spending cuts and will drop language related to Planned Parenthood. Lawmakers still need to approve a short-term stopgap funding bill before midnight, when the federal government will run out of money and cease operations.

The stopgap bill will allow lawmakers time to craft the longer-term, complicated budget for the rest of 2011.

Jo Maney, a spokeswoman for the House Rules Committee, said it could take a day just to write such a bill in the first place. "There's no way. It won't be written," Maney said.

Capitol Hill spent Friday on the brink, with both parties saying they didn't want a shutdown — but also refusing to give the ground that would prevent one.

For much of the day, the two sides seemed widely separated: they seemingly couldn't even agree on what they disagreed about.

In the early afternoon, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) told reporters that negotiations with Democrats were focused mainly on the overall size of budget cuts.

"Most of the policy issues have been dealt with," Boehner said, apparently meaning the disputes over "riders" that would strip out funding from programs unpopular with conservatives. "And the big fight is over the spending."

But, later, Reid (D-Nev.) detailed a very different account of the spending negotiations. Expanding on remarks from Friday morning, Reid said that the two sides had actually agreed on a specific amount of cuts — but that deal was torpedoed by Republican demands to cut funding for the group Planned Parenthood.

"At 4 a.m., I got an e-mail saying, 'We've tried, but they've backed off the number they agreed to,' " Reid said, because of the Planned Parenthood dispute.

Republicans have said all day that they never agreed to a specific number.

As the two parties remained unable to reach an agreement, Obama decided to postpone a family trip to Williamsburg, Va., that was planned for Saturday and Sunday, White House officials said. The first family had been expected to take the trip if a budget deal materialized today.

Administration officials remained tight-lipped on the status of talks Friday afternoon. Obama has not yet called congressional leaders to the White House as he did on Wednesday and Thursday. And the White House so far has opted against joining congressional Democrats in publicly criticizing House Republicans for the impasse.

"The House leadership, with the speaker, have a very clear choice to make. And they don't have much time to make that choice," Reid said after a meeting with Senate Democrats. "They can keep their word, and significantly cut the federal deficit, or they can shut down the American government over women's access to health care. If that sounds ridiculous, that's because it is ridiculous."

Reid said he was already talking with Republican leaders to prepare to rush a spending deal through the often-balky Senate.

But, he said, if a deal was not reached soon, the day was headed for a chaotic ending. Both sides have proposed one-week spending extensions, but with different provisions attached. Reid said that, if it came to that, Congress would be left to a last-minute debate over which to choose.

Reid also said that, during late-night talks at the White House Thursday, Vice President Biden had seemed to lose his composure over the Republicans' insistence on defunding Planned Parenthood.

"Joe Biden wasn't flustered," Reid said, when a reporter described Biden that way. "But he was damn mad."

Even as the two sides traded allegations, there were still small signs of hope.

The Senate's top Republican, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), said on the Senate floor that neither side wanted a shutdown and that he believed "a resolution is within reach."

"I believe there will be an agreement here shortly. I've been in many negotiations over the years. I assure you, these are not unresolvable issues," McConnell said. "So my suggestion . . . is that both sides sit back and give the negotiators a few more hours to work this out."

After a meeting with House Republicans in early afternoon, Boehner told reporters that one key stumbling block-- the amount of money to allocate to the Department of Defense — was "pretty much resolved." But he said nothing about the Planned Parenthood issue.

According to Rep. Howard P. "Buck" McKeon (R-Calif.), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee and a close Boehner ally, the speaker told members he hoped a deal could be reached by the evening.

"He said he was hopeful that he could come back in a couple of hours and bring us back together and have a deal," McKeon told reporters.

The two sides are fighting over a relatively small piece of the $1 trillion-plus federal budget. Reid has said that negotiators were near an agreement to cut $38 billion from current spending levels — $5 billion more in cuts than they had discussed last week.

Federal agencies have begun preparing more than 800,000 federal workers nationwide for a possible closure, letting them know whether they should show up for work on Monday morning if the government runs out of funds.

The White House said Obama spoke in separate phone calls to Boehner and Reid on Friday. The two-sentence statement did not say how the administration viewed the progress of the talks, adding only that "discussions between the two leaders and the White House aimed at reaching a budget agreement are continuing."

Obama remained out out of public view, huddling with advisers.

Planned Parenthood is the nation's largest abortion provider. The organization receives millions of federal dollars for non-abortion services for low-income people, including breast exams and Pap smears, cholesterol and blood pressure screenings, family planning and contraceptives.

But conservatives have questioned the integrity of the group, and argued that — even if federal funding doesn't pay for abortions — it frees up other money that could.

In lieu of a provision defunding Planned Parenthood, Republicans this week proposed an alternative that would change the way federal Title X funding for women's health programs is distributed, according to senior congressional aides.

Currently, Title X funding is provided in federal grants to women's health organizations, including Planned Parenthood. Under the Republicans' alternative proposal, federal Title X funds would be sent to states in the form of block grants and it would be up to state governments to distribute those funds to health groups.

A senior Republican aide dismissed Reid's criticism of this idea as empty "sound and fury," saying that rather than denying women's health funding, Republicans wanted to allow states to distribute the money as they see fit.

With the impasse unresolved, Boehner urged the Senate and Obama to approve a one-week budget extension that passed the GOP-controlled House on Thursday. It includes full funding for the Defense Department as well as $12 billion in cuts to other agencies.

But the measure has no chance of passing the Democratic-controlled Senate, in part because it contains a restriction on funding for abortions in the District. Obama has said he would veto the legislation.

Reid said he would propose his own measure to fund the government for one week more. That proposal, Democratic leaders said, would include $2 billion in overall spending cuts, and fund the U.S. military for the remainder of the fiscal year.

If Senate Republicans filibuster Reid's bill, and the government shuts down, Democrats will be able to blame the GOP.

The fight appears to have come down to a test of political will between Boehner on one side and Reid and Obama on the other. Neither side wants to be perceived as the one who caves. And both see an advantage in waiting until the last minute to strike an agreement.

But what if the two sides miscalculate, and a shutdown comes?

Both lawmakers and the White House could be tarred with an even more damaging perception: These are the people who couldn't manage to keep the government open.

Democrats and Republicans are both eager to move past this argument and get to other disagreements with far greater impact, including debates over whether to allow the U.S. Treasury to borrow money beyond the current $14.3 trillion debt limit and over the GOP's ambitious proposed budget for 2012.

Congressional leaders consider the current talks a dry run for the battles to come.

"Understand that this proc­ess that we're in is likely to be repeated a number of times this year," Boehner told reporters Thursday. "I think everyone is taking their time, trying to get this right."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2011, 10:45:17 PM

But that's not too far from Seedy's rationale.

Republicans don't like women and minorities, and minority women is a double-whammy they just can't abide.

Jacob

There're some sort of shenanigans going on with things like garbage collection in DC because of this as well, isn't there?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2011, 09:12:33 PMWhat's wrong with what I said?  :unsure:

Everything.

But "whore pills" stands out.

katmai

Have you forgotten how misogynistic this place is Jake?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Is it really, though?  Some have schticks to such effect, just like some have homophobic schticks.  However, do we really have a significant number of posters who are truly misogynistic?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on April 09, 2011, 12:05:54 AM
Is it really, though?  Some have schticks to such effect, just like some have homophobic schticks.  However, do we really have a significant number of posters who are truly misogynistic?

We have many gays.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on April 09, 2011, 12:54:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 09, 2011, 12:05:54 AM

We have many gays.
:lol:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The only way you can construe Jonas' comment as racist is if you consider a free abortion to be a hostile act.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2011, 02:00:39 AM

The only way you can construe Jonas' comment as racist is if you consider a free abortion to be a hostile act.

wut
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2011, 02:00:39 AM
Even if he had said "mandatory abortion" he would sill have been talking about the "Democrat problem" and it wouldn't have been racist.

Let's not cry wolf, m'kay?  Plenty of actual faux racism to decry here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!