News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2011, 05:47:03 PM
According to a White House spokesman Obama now considers his 2006 vote to not lift the debt ceiling a mistake.

Woops.
So, by "woops" are you implying that Obama doesn't consider the vote to be a mistake?

Yicrypted posts take too much time to break down into English and just invite misunderstandings.  Please post in just plain English if you want to get an idea across.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

I think what he's saying is that Obama's backtracking on the concept of a vote from over 5 years ago, and because of that, he's a lying dirty negro.  Obama, not Yi.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2011, 06:37:17 AM
I think what he's saying is that Obama's backtracking on the concept of a vote from over 5 years ago, and because of that, he's a lying dirty negro.  Obama, not Yi.
I still don't understand.  Is Yi assuming the vote itself to be "woops"-worthy, or is it the admission that it was a mistake that was woops-worthy?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Maybe the woops isn't even related to the previous sentence at all?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

Relax folks. President Obama is going to give a speech on his budget plans this Wednesday, tomorrow. I'm sure he'll clear everything up, and come out with some clear, concise and concrete ideas that we can all embrace.   :unsure:

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on April 12, 2011, 08:00:08 AM
Relax folks. President Obama is going to give a speech on his budget plans this Wednesday, tomorrow. I'm sure he'll clear everything up, and come out with some clear, concise and concrete ideas that we can all embrace.   :unsure:
Being cynically sarcastic is like taking a shit.  It's healthy to let a solid one go once in a while, but constant dribbling is something to be avoided.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2011, 09:09:14 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 12, 2011, 08:00:08 AM
Being cynically sarcastic is like taking a shit.  It's healthy to let a solid one go once in a while, but constant dribbling is something to be avoided.
Baloney. There's good reason to be sarcastic. That is, for those of us not drunk on the Obama kool aid.   ;)

Caliga

Don't you mean Obama.... krunk juice? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on April 12, 2011, 09:29:36 AM
Baloney. There's good reason to be sarcastic. That is, for those of us not drunk on the Obama kool aid.   ;)
This has nothing to do with good reason or the kool aid.  Constant dripping sarcasm is neither helpful, useful, or amusing.  It's dreary and fatalistic.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2011, 09:35:11 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 12, 2011, 09:29:36 AM
This has nothing to do with good reason or the kool aid.  Constant dripping sarcasm is neither helpful, useful, or amusing.  It's dreary and fatalistic.
I'm hardly overly sarcastic. I get the impression that you feel the Dems gaining power were the answers, that you hang onto the notion of one party being good, the other bad. I look at both parties as bringing us to the problems we have now, and I'm not going to cheer lead either one. And both parties are responsible for making things right, but neither has shown itself to get too far beyond the talking points. Especially when they give lip service and talking points, which Obama seems to be the King of. He needs to go some to prove himself. He's been too aloof, unengaged. Had nothing on the budget, now talks reform of entitlements. Let's see what he actually comes up with.

MadImmortalMan

Everybody votes against raising the debt ceiling whenever possible.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

How much leverage is the debt ceiling, though?  Isn't not raising the debt ceiling pretty much the self-destruct button for the US economics?  Do you really get much leverage from threats so grave that they're not credible?

frunk

If there was any relationship between the budget decision process and the setting of the debt ceiling it would have meaning.  As it is they set the budget, it blows past the debt ceiling, they raise the debt ceiling.  Instead if they considered the debt ceiling when making the budget...

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on April 12, 2011, 10:01:35 AM
I'm hardly overly sarcastic. I get the impression that you feel the Dems gaining power were the answers, that you hang onto the notion of one party being good, the other bad. I look at both parties as bringing us to the problems we have now, and I'm not going to cheer lead either one. And both parties are responsible for making things right, but neither has shown itself to get too far beyond the talking points. Especially when they give lip service and talking points, which Obama seems to be the King of. He needs to go some to prove himself. He's been too aloof, unengaged. Had nothing on the budget, now talks reform of entitlements. Let's see what he actually comes up with.
This is a far different argument than "I'm sure he'll clear everything up, and come out with some clear, concise and concrete ideas that we can all embrace."  It suffers from the disadvantage of being mature, sensible, and meaningful, but your first one had the advantage of being moronic.

Leave the sarcasm for those who can do it well.

Bayraktar!