News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on April 12, 2011, 11:04:34 AM
If there was any relationship between the budget decision process and the setting of the debt ceiling it would have meaning.  As it is they set the budget, it blows past the debt ceiling, they raise the debt ceiling.  Instead if they considered the debt ceiling when making the budget...
There really should be no relationship.  The debt ceiling is a bureaucratic formality, unrelated to policy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2011, 11:01:05 AM
How much leverage is the debt ceiling, though?  Isn't not raising the debt ceiling pretty much the self-destruct button for the US economics?  Do you really get much leverage from threats so grave that they're not credible?

If you convince others that you're willing to see the US economically self-destruct as long as you promote your ideological views, then it can be credible.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 12, 2011, 11:04:48 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 12, 2011, 10:01:35 AM
I'm hardly overly sarcastic. I get the impression that you feel the Dems gaining power were the answers, that you hang onto the notion of one party being good, the other bad. I look at both parties as bringing us to the problems we have now, and I'm not going to cheer lead either one. And both parties are responsible for making things right, but neither has shown itself to get too far beyond the talking points. Especially when they give lip service and talking points, which Obama seems to be the King of. He needs to go some to prove himself. He's been too aloof, unengaged. Had nothing on the budget, now talks reform of entitlements. Let's see what he actually comes up with.
This is a far different argument than "I'm sure he'll clear everything up, and come out with some clear, concise and concrete ideas that we can all embrace."  It suffers from the disadvantage of being mature, sensible, and meaningful, but your first one had the advantage of being moronic.

Leave the sarcasm for those who can do it well.
Fair enough. I've given Obama leeway on Libya, as I know it's a tough decision. I'll give him leeway on the budget but not if it's the same old stuff that hasn't served us well for far too long now. We need answers and leadership, which is what I've been saying. Congress is trying but each side bludgeons the other; it gets ridiculous. If Obama comes out with something akin to reforms of the most difficult Federal programs I'll probably be happy as that will give a starting point for debate. I honestly don't know if he has it in him to take the tough road, but I think we need it on the budget issues. He'll get lambasted by those who disagree, but if he explains his stance for reform I think he'll get strong support, as most Americans view the budget issues as one of the most pressing problems.

DGuller

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 12, 2011, 11:30:41 AM
How much leverage is the debt ceiling, though?  Isn't not raising the debt ceiling pretty much the self-destruct button for the US economics?  Do you really get much leverage from threats so grave that they're not credible?

If you convince others that you're willing to see the US economically self-destruct as long as you promote your ideological views, then it can be credible.
Oh, shit, we're fucked.  :(

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2011, 11:36:10 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 12, 2011, 11:30:41 AM

Oh, shit, we're fucked.  :(

Not really. We can easily pay the debt service. Other things would go without, but that won't.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2011, 06:37:17 AM
I think what he's saying is that Obama's backtracking on the concept of a vote from over 5 years ago, and because of that, he's a lying dirty negro.  Obama, not Yi.

I'm saying Obama experienced a teachable moment.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2011, 12:11:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2011, 06:37:17 AM
I think what he's saying is that Obama's backtracking on the concept of a vote from over 5 years ago, and because of that, he's a lying dirty negro.  Obama, not Yi.

:face:

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2011, 10:49:57 PM
How is it bullshit? How do you think the country got electricity and telephone service? The Government made companies provide it. Broadband is just as valuable a tool today if not more then the telephone was 70 years ago.

Funny thing is that a lot of people without broadband don't want it: http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1518486~d1c991314bb8cc21e1f2f9380bfd0996/RuralUrban.jpg

IMO the ones who want it but can't get it are not worth the expense.  If there is enough demand, cost-effective solutions will appear for them, particularly as wireless broadband becomes more ubiquitous & less costly. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Since everyone experiences those all of the time, that seems a rather trite conclusion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 12, 2011, 12:39:46 PM
Funny thing is that a lot of people without broadband don't want it: http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1518486~d1c991314bb8cc21e1f2f9380bfd0996/RuralUrban.jpg

IMO the ones who want it but can't get it are not worth the expense.  If there is enough demand, cost-effective solutions will appear for them, particularly as wireless broadband becomes more ubiquitous & less costly. 

What if they live in a rural area?  Sort of hard to work up demand when not many people live in the area.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2011, 01:03:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 12, 2011, 12:39:46 PM

What if they live in a rural area?  Sort of hard to work up demand when not many people live in the area.

Also may not be cost effective, especially in the case of electricity where a great deal of infrastructure is needed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 12, 2011, 12:42:18 PM
Since everyone experiences those all of the time, that seems a rather trite conclusion.

Politicians are never, ever allowed to change their positions.  Particularly black politicians Teabaggers hate.

Admiral Yi

Politicians are allowed to change their minds, even black politicians Teabaggers hate.  I generally see it as a sign of maturity that a person can say they were in the wrong and that their perspective has changed.

What is less commendable, even for black politicians Teabaggers hate, is to have that moment of ephiphany right at the moment when it is in your political self-interest to do so.  Obama has had 5 years to reflect on that particular vote, but it wasn't until he was on the other end of the game of nuclear chicken that he discovered it's a bad choice.

CountDeMoney

I dunno...if I were a politician, particularly a black one Teabaggers hate, I'd have had a change of heart regarding the debt ceiling vote I cast in 2006 after seeing the 2008 meltdown and following carnage which I would be dealing with today, even as a black politician Teabaggers hate.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2011, 06:16:03 PM
I dunno...if I were a politician, particularly a black one Teabaggers hate, I'd have had a change of heart regarding the debt ceiling vote I cast in 2006 after seeing the 2008 meltdown and following carnage which I would be dealing with today, even as a black politician Teabaggers hate.

Which gets us to where we were previously.  If you were a politician, particularly a black on Teabaggers hate, why would the 2008 meltdown have caused your thinking about voting against lifting the debt ceiling to change?