News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So my Mom has gone crazy. Raz on the March!

Started by Razgovory, April 03, 2011, 10:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 11:27:41 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2011, 11:25:43 AM
It is impossible to know the situation based on what has been presented.  Why is it so important to you that you be able to assign blame? Let it go, FFS.

What was important was trying to communicate what I was trying to say, which I have a hard time doing, not trying to assign blame.  Meri seems to understand what I was getting at so I guess I was successful.  Anyway I was done.
So your statement that
QuoteI bet if she had sat down and discussed this in a responsible way with her Hubby and Raz they could have worked it out in a respectful way that did not cause harm to either party.  The fact she did not do that is very unfortunate.
is not assigning blame or judging her?  Sure seems like it to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 11:13:48 AM
As I have said, I disagree with HOW she's handled things, but certainly not why. Not knowing the financial picture, all I can say is that while her leaving is going to cause serious financial repercussions, one certainly understand what she's done. That being said, I doubt Raz will ever understand.

Oh, I understand.  I simply have a difference in opinion.  I'm not of the opinion that familial bonds should be broken simply because it's inconvenient.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 11:31:06 AM
However, that decision being made, taking the cash isn't the issue at all - leaving without discussing the matter first is.

Bingo.  That is what I was trying to say.  It is the apparent breach of trust that was the issue for me.  The money was just the manifestation.

Well, I was simply stating that arguing about the money is missing the point. The situation would be no different in my mind if she'd taken off without a dime.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2011, 11:32:59 AM

Oh, I understand.  I simply have a difference in opinion.  I'm not of the opinion that familial bonds should be broken simply because it's inconvenient.

She left her husband, not her children. Mom moving away doesn't end the relationship with her adult children anymore than the adult children moving away does. It simply changes the dynamics.

And as a woman who's left her husband, I can tell you that there's more to her leaving your dad than it was just "inconvenient".
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2011, 11:27:54 AMHer reasoning is that she wants to be a politician in Illinois and she doesn't think she can be one in Missouri (she had a short political career here, but lost her last election). 
What about Illinois politics is special and unique?  Also, how does medical billing and coding lead to a career in politics?  Also, where does 'union' fit into all of this?

Should I even be asking these questions?  It seems like there's no way they will have logical connections to one another...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 11:35:18 AM
Well, I was simply stating that arguing about the money is missing the point. The situation would be no different in my mind if she'd taken off without a dime.

It's very easy to think logically and maturely about a situation like this when you're not in it. However, when suffering from depression, guilt, and a variety of other concerns while trying to extricate oneself from a relationship, it's not as easy. Sometimes a person has to just act in order to get it done, and then worry about the aftermath.

I feel sorry for everyone in this situation. A broken marriage, no matter the age of the children, is not easy to deal with, and ultimately, everyone is going to be hurt, angry, upset, and scared about the future. Yes, even the one who left to follow her dream. (And I'm sorry, but you're never too old to dream, Raz.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 11:40:25 AM
What about Illinois politics is special and unique?

Even I know the answer to this one...  :pirate
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2011, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 11:27:41 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2011, 11:25:43 AM
It is impossible to know the situation based on what has been presented.  Why is it so important to you that you be able to assign blame? Let it go, FFS.

What was important was trying to communicate what I was trying to say, which I have a hard time doing, not trying to assign blame.  Meri seems to understand what I was getting at so I guess I was successful.  Anyway I was done.
So your statement that
QuoteI bet if she had sat down and discussed this in a responsible way with her Hubby and Raz they could have worked it out in a respectful way that did not cause harm to either party.  The fact she did not do that is very unfortunate.
is not assigning blame or judging her?  Sure seems like it to me.

Um I said assigning the blame was not important (after all that was what you asked me) not that I did not think some of her actions, as presented, were wrong.  Why I was in this conversation for so long was trying to explain why I thought so and being frustrated I seemed to be doing so poorly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2011, 11:43:46 AM
What about Illinois politics is special and unique?

Even I know the answer to this one...  :pirate
I believe the fee to enter Illinois politics is more than $500. :contract:

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2011, 11:27:54 AMHer reasoning is that she wants to be a politician in Illinois and she doesn't think she can be one in Missouri (she had a short political career here, but lost her last election). 
What about Illinois politics is special and unique?  Also, how does medical billing and coding lead to a career in politics?  Also, where does 'union' fit into all of this?

Should I even be asking these questions?  It seems like there's no way they will have logical connections to one another...

She perceives Illinois as a bastion of liberal enlightenment, where apparently she'll quickly get a Union job and through that become an elected official again. 

At least you know where where the crazy in my family comes from.

Ironically, whiles she's been in Illinois she's been caring for her friend who is very ill (she had one of those surgeries where they remove a great deal of her stomach to control her weight, and there's been complications.  Incidentally my mother was really keen on trying to get the procedure herself, but I talked her out of it because there were strong chances of complications).  She's also been caring her friend's senile mother as well.  Which is much more then she was doing her with us, where she didn't really do much for my father or me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2011, 11:47:14 AM
I believe the fee to enter Illinois politics is more than $500. :contract:
I was about to make more or less the same joke in response to the Beeb. :(

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 11:43:08 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 11:35:18 AM

It's very easy to think logically and maturely about a situation like this when you're not in it. However, when suffering from depression, guilt, and a variety of other concerns while trying to extricate oneself from a relationship, it's not as easy. Sometimes a person has to just act in order to get it done, and then worry about the aftermath.

I feel sorry for everyone in this situation. A broken marriage, no matter the age of the children, is not easy to deal with, and ultimately, everyone is going to be hurt, angry, upset, and scared about the future. Yes, even the one who left to follow her dream. (And I'm sorry, but you're never too old to dream, Raz.)

Certainly. Leaving without discussing it isn't optimal, but I'm hardly going to be harsh in my judgment of this - as I said, I can certainly understand why one would not want an undoubtedly painful confrontation.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 11:38:52 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2011, 11:32:59 AM

She left her husband, not her children. Mom moving away doesn't end the relationship with her adult children anymore than the adult children moving away does. It simply changes the dynamics.

And as a woman who's left her husband, I can tell you that there's more to her leaving your dad than it was just "inconvenient".

In theory, yes.  In practice, some people take offense in intentionally causing emotional stress in loved ones for personal gain.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2011, 11:50:11 AM
She perceives Illinois as a bastion of liberal enlightenment, where apparently she'll quickly get a Union job and through that become an elected official again. 
:lol: Medical billers, like transcriptionists, often work from home for very low wages, and I'd be surprised if they are organized.  Then again, much of that work is going to India so maybe they ARE organized, and that's why the work is being outsourced overseas.

MadImmortalMan

Only dinosaur doctors use transcription services anymore. It's a buggywhip industry.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers