Wonder Woman tv series

Started by garbon, March 31, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 31, 2011, 08:27:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 08:13:43 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2011, 08:03:14 PM
Well, even Superman is ridiculous.

However...Superman is ridiculous but workable.  Wonder Woman is ridiculous, but silly.

Why? Aside from sexism?

Don't discount the importance of sexism.  :P

But really, the magic bracelets and invisible plane do seem a bit goofier than innate superpowers.
She has plenty of natural superpowers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman#Post-Crisis
Wonder Woman's body is a mystical creation made from the clay surrounding Themyscira. Through divine means, her disembodied soul was nurtured in and retrieved from the Cavern of Souls.[24] Once the soul was placed into the body, it immediately came to life and was blessed with metahuman abilities by six Olympian deities.

Demeter, the goddess of agriculture and fertility, blessed Diana with strength drawn from the Earth spirit Gaea, making her one of the physically strongest heroes in the DC Universe.[25] She has been observed assisting in preventing large chunks of the Moon from crashing onto the Earth,[26] supporting the weight of bridges,[27] or hefting entire railroad trains.[27] Although stated as at least somewhat physically weaker and slower than, for example, Power Girl, Diana's superior warrior training more than makes up for it, and through this advantage she is able to overpower either Kara,[28] or her counterpart Supergirl.[29]

While not invulnerable, she is capable of withstanding great concussive force,[25] shrugging off high-powered rifle fire with some pain but little injury,[30] being knocked through a building, and even surviving a warp-core explosion.[31] She is durable enough to survive the rigors of space until she runs out of breath. While her superhuman strength affords her great resistance to blunt-force trauma, her skin can be cut by weapons if they are sharp enough. Her muscles do not produce lactic acids, giving her great stamina. This allowed her to once battle a clone of Doomsday.

Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, blessed Diana with great beauty and a loving heart.

Pallas Athena, the goddess of wisdom and war, granted Diana great wisdom, intelligence, and military prowess. Athena's gift has enabled Diana to master over a dozen languages (including those of alien origin), multiple complex crafts, sciences and philosophies, as well as leadership, military strategy, and armed and unarmed combat. She can mimic voices, although it is more difficult for her to mimic a man's voice. More recently, Athena bound her own eyesight to Diana's, granting her increased empathy.[32]

Artemis, goddess of the hunt, animals, and the Moon, graced Diana with the Eyes of the Hunter and Unity with Beasts. The Eyes of the Hunter ability gives Diana a full range of enhanced senses, including enhanced sight and hearing. Unity with Beasts grants her the ability to communicate with all forms of animal life and to calm even the most ferocious of beasts.[27]

Hestia, goddess of hearth and home, granted Diana "sisterhood with fire, that it might open men's hearts to her." This power has been shown to control the "Fires of Truth," which Diana wields through her lasso, making anyone bound by it unable to lie. This ability also grants her resistance to both normal and supernatural fire.[citation needed]

Hermes, the messenger god of speed, granted Diana superhuman speed and the ability to fly. By concentrating, Diana can mystically defy the laws of gravity and propel herself through the air to achieve flight. She is capable of flying at speeds approaching half the speed of light.[25] She is swift enough to deflect bullets, lasers, and other projectiles with her virtually impenetrable bracelets. Her brain can process information at an incredibly fast rate.

Diana possesses the ability to relieve her body of physical injury and toxins by becoming one with the Earth's soil and then reforming her body whole again.[33] During John Byrne's run, it was stated that this is a ritual so sacred that it is used only in the most dire of circumstances.[34]

She is able to astrally project herself into various lands of myth.[35] Her physical body reacts to whatever happens to her on the mythical astral plane, leaving her body cut, bruised, or sometimes strengthened once her mind and body are reunited. She can apparently leave the planet through meditation, and did this once to rescue Artemis while she was in hell.

As for the invisible plane it's not really that  big a deal these days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_plane#Current_history

I'd think her magic lasso of BDSM would be a much bigger objection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasso_of_Truth
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I guess Dark Angel was a series featuring a "superoheroine" in a sort of gritty setting/plot but even it got by a lot on campy humor.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 08:13:43 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2011, 08:03:14 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 08:01:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2011, 07:58:19 PM
I don't think Wonder Woman would work as a "serious" series. Her whole background is ridiculous.
The list of superheros without ridiculous backgrounds is rather low, yet that does not stop people from making serious movies/shows about them.

Well, even Superman is ridiculous.

However...Superman is ridiculous but workable.  Wonder Woman is ridiculous, but silly.

Why? Aside from sexism?

Sexism to defend Wonder Woman?

I'm pretty sure the number of comic superhero females that don't utilize a heavy exploitation of sex appeal is very tiny.  And while sure, the males are often done in the same way...they're also not wearing banana-hammocks and trying to appeal to a fan base of  teenage girls and their masturbation fantasies.

lustindarkness

I approve of this thread. :perv: + :nerd::)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2011, 09:03:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the number of comic superhero females that don't utilize a heavy exploitation of sex appeal is very tiny.  And while sure, the males are often done in the same way...they're also not wearing banana-hammocks and trying to appeal to a fan base of  teenage girls and their masturbation fantasies.
I'm just saying that male Superheros with ridiculous back stories are given a pass, but women aren't. I don't remember all this crying about ridiculous back stories when "Thor" got green lit, just bitching that one of the Norse gods was played by a black guy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 11:02:09 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2011, 09:03:37 PM

I'm just saying that male Superheros with ridiculous back stories are given a pass, but women aren't. I don't remember all this crying about ridiculous back stories when "Thor" got green lit, just bitching that one of the Norse gods was played by a black guy.

The back story is the least offensive part...actually not at all.  Nothing more silly about WW's Greek mythology background than Superman's alien one.  In fact, arguably less so.

I'm thinking more name/costume/theme.  In that sense, Thor is rather silly too, especially the comic portrayal.

Superman actually, would be rather silly if made today, but he gets a pass for being an American classic.

Viking

The Thor costume from the movie is a toned down version of the comic book one, the wonder woman one isn't. Thor went dark in the imagery. I personally think the free will issue related to the lasso might make for some interesting plotlines for a character that is a lawyer. Regarding her costume though, it does look like one of her boobs might pop out at any time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Actually the Wonder Woman costume is pretty close to the current one in the comics.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on March 31, 2011, 06:43:50 PM
if you are going to do wonder woman you really really need to get rid of the costume
I'm on board with that. :perv:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on April 01, 2011, 03:37:57 AM
Actually the Wonder Woman costume is pretty close to the current one in the comics.

Indeed:

And they should include some bondage scenes, for old times sake:

Tonitrus

Um, from the pics below...no.

Comic looks alright.

Tv show looks like gaudy 70/80's prostitute costume.

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 01, 2011, 08:12:23 PM

Comic looks alright.

?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Tonitrus likes to pay prostitutes to dress up as Wonder Woman?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on April 01, 2011, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 01, 2011, 08:12:23 PM

Comic looks alright.

?

I don't think they really look alike at all?  That wasn't clear?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2011, 08:31:22 PM
Tonitrus likes to pay prostitutes to dress up as Wonder Woman?

Do you happen to know any?