Main Menu

Wonder Woman tv series

Started by garbon, March 31, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 05:50:45 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2011, 05:39:22 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 04, 2011, 05:36:07 PM

The problem that she faces now is that society has changed in the past 65 years; being a super heroine alone isn't so remarkable.  She's not in the world of men in the sense she was in the golden age; that then draws attention to the silliness of her background story.  Comic books have also evolved since then and the more realistic powers other heroes have (so far as comic book super heroes can be realistic) draws attention to the silliness of hers. 
Aside from the lasso what's so silly about her powers? She's one of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe.

Well there is the invisible airplane.
These days it's just a spoil of war from some aliens or evil alternate dimension batman depending on the story. She almost never uses it because she can fly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Why wonder woman instead of supergirl?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2011, 06:23:05 PM

These days it's just a spoil of war from some aliens or evil alternate dimension batman depending on the story. She almost never uses it because she can fly.
[/quote]

And none of that sounds silly to you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 06:49:19 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2011, 06:23:05 PM

And none of that sounds silly to you?
Of course not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 04, 2011, 05:34:32 PM
She's cute, but the costume is still awful.  And it should have been written by Joss Whedon :D

Open letter to David E. Kelly

I don't get all the Joss Whedon love.
He makes even teh stupidest and lamest concepts fun and entertaining - and occasionally dramatic. In a good way.
PDH!

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 05:47:57 PM
Well, all superheroes are silly.  I mean look at Superman.  He's an alien (yet looks human).  He one of the last survivors of his race, but since that race was a space faring one presumably lots of them should have survived.  Yet they don't.  The yellow sun is traditionally what makes Superman super, so why wouldn't there be a mass migration to solar systems with yellow suns?  It's not something you should really worry to much about cause it's a comic book.

The point I was trying to make wasn't that Wonder Woman's origin was more silly than another super heroes; rather that as gender roles have changed the character of Wonder Woman isn't as extraordinary as she was during the golden age.  This makes the character weaker and draws attention to her flaws.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Aside from the lasso what's so silly about her powers? She's one of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe.

The Lasso of Truth is specifically what I had in mind as well as the invisible jet.  The bracelets too, they may not appear silly at fist; but that Amazons play "Bullets and Bracelets" where they take turn shooting guns at one another highlights why the concept is ludicrous.

I seem to be operating from a flawed premise here, though.  What is it that you find so appealing about Wonder Woman, Tim?  I mean more so than another strong woman heroine like Super Girl or Hawk Girl?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on April 04, 2011, 07:42:18 PM

The Lasso of Truth is specifically what I had in mind as well as the invisible jet.  The bracelets too, they may not appear silly at fist; but that Amazons play "Bullets and Bracelets" where they take turn shooting guns at one another highlights why the concept is ludicrous.

I seem to be operating from a flawed premise here, though.  What is it that you find so appealing about Wonder Woman, Tim?  I mean more so than another strong woman heroine like Super Girl or Hawk Girl?
Love Greek mythology, so I love her back story. She's also willing to kill people unlike Batman and Superman.

Super Girl's just a female knockoff of Superman, Power Girl is literally Super Girl from another dimension, Hawk Girl... seriously? :rolleyes:

I like Zatanna and Black Canary. Not really a fan of other DC girls.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

What's wrong with Hawkgirl/woman? :mad:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 05, 2011, 01:09:03 AM
What's wrong with Hawkgirl/woman? :mad:
I just think the concept is lame.

1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 04, 2011, 07:08:24 PM
He makes even teh stupidest and lamest concepts fun and entertaining - and occasionally dramatic. In a good way.
I don't think there is anyone better at dialogue in the business.  His plotting and storytelling aren't the same caliber, alas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 11:15:19 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 04, 2011, 07:08:24 PM
I don't think there is anyone better at dialogue in the business.  His plotting and storytelling aren't the same caliber, alas.
Yeah, pair him with JMS and it would be gold.
PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 31, 2011, 06:31:56 PM
I predict this will be almost as good as the Birds of Prey series.

:yes:
:p

frunk

For Whedon I think I lot of it is focus.  When he concentrates on an episode or series it can be brilliant beyond just the dialogue.  A great example is the Buffy episode Hush which has very little dialogue but is thoroughly entertaining even if a bit predictable.  Unfortunately he has a tendency to get distracted and let his ideas get away from him.