News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wonder Woman tv series

Started by garbon, March 31, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Whedon certainly is very good at finding and cultivating talent. Especially hott babes.

Did you know his father and grandfather were also TV writers? Dad wrote Rockford Files and granddad wrote for Donna Reed and the Dick Van Dyke Show.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 06, 2011, 03:40:08 PM

Did you know his father and grandfather were also TV writers? Dad wrote Rockford Files and granddad wrote for Donna Reed and the Dick Van Dyke Show.
had no idea, and I don't even know these shows :D

I've started watching english tv only in my teens, c.a. 1986, IIRC, and that was mostly comics at first, then Star Trek since I had problems understanding the rest of the tv shows.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2011, 03:35:30 PM
I disagree with made up your implied assertion that Joss Whedon produces poorly written shows and that would be the only, or main cause for their early disapearance from tv.
Fixed your post.  This stawman is far from my position.

QuoteThe success or failure of a TV show goes beyond the simple good or bad writing of the show.  Voyager ran for 7 years on TV.  That's 2 more than B5.  There never was any threat of cancelling Voyager.  It must mean that Voyager is better written than any other sci-fi series, save for TNG, DS9 and Stargate SG1.
An interesting argument, but I doubt that it holds water, since the success or  failure of a TV show goes beyond the simple good or bad writing of the show, as you noted when you started this bit of oxymoronic "reasoning."

QuoteYou make simplistic assumptions based on your personal and very restrictive preferences.  I don't think I remember seeing you appreciate a tv show since B5 ended.  There are other writers in the universe beside JMS, you know ;)
I dare say the evidence is crystal-clear which of us is making simplistic assumptions about which shows are "better-written than any other sci-fi series, save for TNG, DS9 and Stargate SG1."  Your crappy memory is not my responsibility, so don't blame me for what you cannot remember.  Given that my own argument is that Whedon writes better characters and dialogue than JMS, I'd say you have your head up your ass and are looking at this thread through your bellybutton.

If you ever get you head out of your ass, you might want to use it to consider if maybe Whedon has some flaws like everyone else.  Three flops in a row are not unheard-of in the business, but maybe are some cause for re-examination of basic assumptions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2011, 06:32:10 PMsince the success or  failure of a TV show goes beyond the simple good or bad writing of the show

Exibit B: Grace Under Fire lasted 5 seasons.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on April 01, 2011, 06:16:28 AM
Indeed:

What shocks me here is that the comic book WW actually looks more physically capable than the actress.  WW looks like a standard comic book heroine, whereas the actress has pipe-cleaners for arms.  It's interesting because I remember the Image revolution in the 90s and watching comic book art produce women that seemed too skinny to function, while maintaining their huge busts.  It seems like real life has one-upped comic books in that regard.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

That arm in the photo looks like a bad air brushing job. Her arm doesn't look as toothpick like in the photos that I'd posted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2011, 06:32:10 PM
If you ever get you head out of your ass, you might want to use it to consider if maybe Whedon has some flaws like everyone else.  Three flops in a row are not unheard-of in the business, but maybe are some cause for re-examination of basic assumptions.
that's beside the point.  I love JMS, but since Babylon 5, he hasn't produced any interesting tv series or movies.  I'm going to see Thor mainly because he's the writer.

So, what are these tv shows you liked since B5 ended?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Admiral Yi

Seeb, if her waist were any smaller she'd have to eat peas one at a time.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on April 06, 2011, 07:34:56 PM
that's beside the point.
It seems to be your point.  If we aren't talking about Joss Whedon, what are we talking about?

QuoteI love JMS, but since Babylon 5, he hasn't produced any interesting tv series or movies.
JMS hasn't tried to produce any TV sries or movies in years. He is too busy writing.  that's what he is;  a writer.   He's done Changeling, Thor, Ninja Assassin, World War Z, a coupla Murder She Wrote scripts, something that looks pretty campy called Underworld: New Dawn, and some other stuff.  He is definitely an A-list writer, whether you want him to be or not.

QuoteSo, what are these tv shows you liked since B5 ended?
Your memory is so crappy you'd forget what I told you even if I had the inclination to perform on demand.  Look at some of the threads on TV shows, and you will find my comments.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jamesww

I must be too old, but I remember wonder woman as being a bit naff, the only plus points being, well the plus points.  :D

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2011, 06:28:49 AM
He is too busy writing.  that's what he is;  a writer.   He's done Changeling, Thor, Ninja Assassin, World War Z, a coupla Murder She Wrote scripts, something that looks pretty campy called Underworld: New Dawn, and some other stuff.  He is definitely an A-list writer, whether you want him to be or not.
First, when I said "produced", I meant it in the larger sense, i.e. including writing most of the script, not simply having the title "Producer".

World War Z and Underworld have not been made into films yet.
Thor is not yet released and I did told you I would see it because he's writing the script.
Murder She Wrote is boring.
I haven't seen Changeling but I hear it's good.
Ninja Assassin was a fun bd flick, nothing extraordinary.

I never said he wasn't a good writer, I said he ain't the only good writer in the universe, and I disagreed with your statement that Whedon's shows got cancelled because of poor writing.  If that's not what you meant when you said "there is a reason why all his shows get cancelled", than explain, instead of dodging the questions asked.

Your memory is so crappy you'd forget what I told you even if I had the inclination to perform on demand.  Look at some of the threads on TV shows, and you will find my comments.
as I suspected, you are, again, arguing for the sake of arguing, without any kind of arguments.

garbon

Murder She Wrote :wub:
Changeling :wub:

Though not sure if any of those listed titles really marks one as an A-list writer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2011, 02:58:06 PM
Murder She Wrote :wub:
I liked the episode where someone got killed in Cabot Cove and Jessica solved the murder. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points