News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wonder Woman tv series

Started by garbon, March 31, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Less it is less gaudy with all the special tv lighting, it looks like a halloween costume.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Well the pics that Garbon posted to start thread are different from the one  Larchie used.

They changed the pants because of the calls of Halloween costume.

And Toni is clearly delusional if he doesn't see the similarity from the current costume and the one debuted in comics by grumbler's favorite writer.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Savonarola

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 31, 2011, 08:38:39 PM
A Sailor Moon movie would be about as ridiculous.

There was a live action Sailor Moon series.  I've seen some episodes and that might actually be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  I don't remember the Wonder Woman TV show all that well, but I'm sure it was nowhere near that ridiculous.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

I don't understand how you could make a movie based on an anime.  Where are you going to find a cast of 13 year old girls with double E breasts and legs four feet long?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 12:52:49 PM
I don't understand how you could make a movie based on an anime.  Where are you going to find a cast of 13 year old girls with double E breasts and legs four feet long?

The resemblances generally stop at weird-colored-hair.  See: Death Note, Battle Royale.
Experience bij!

Syt

I watched the live action Casshern movie in HD once. Never did a movie leave me so physically exhausted. All style, no substance, and 140 minutes of video clip style fast editing.

Was gorgeous to look at, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2011, 12:52:49 PM

Disney has an army of them they created by eugenics.  The early models (Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears) proved unstable but soon they'll have all the bugs worked out and the world will be theirs.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

She's cute, but the costume is still awful.  And it should have been written by Joss Whedon :D

Open letter to David E. Kelly
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 08:13:43 PM
Why? Aside from sexism?

Wonder Woman, more than the other heroes from the era, is a product of the time of her creation (1940's America.)  A Super Heroine was something completely different than anything anyone had seen; women in action movies or serials were the love interest or the spunky gal sidekick.  She had to be from a completely different culture than any that existed on earth, but making her from outer space would have made her too much like Super Man.  The Amazon back story, in my opinion, works out well since she has to defy the traditions of her own culture by coming to the world of men and also defy the authority figure; her mother the queen.  This is a crucial part of her character since she's an outsider in the world of men and must continually defy the norms of that culture.

There are some goofy stories, but as a whole golden age Wonder Woman works well.  Filthy Nazi spies were constantly threatening America and Wonder Woman had a knack for rooting them out.  Bruce Wayne pretends to be a wastrel, Clark Kent pretends to be a coward, but Diana Princess has brains, moxy and gams; her alter ego is free to be true to herself since no one would expect anything more out of a woman.  This further helped her since a woman is usually regarded as unthreatening by the filthy Nazis.  She works as a secretary who is in love with her boss (as all fictional secretaries in the era were, it was a rule) but her boss is in love with Wonder Woman setting up an odd love triangle.

The problem that she faces now is that society has changed in the past 65 years; being a super heroine alone isn't so remarkable.  She's not in the world of men in the sense she was in the golden age; that then draws attention to the silliness of her background story.  Comic books have also evolved since then and the more realistic powers other heroes have (so far as comic book super heroes can be realistic) draws attention to the silliness of hers. 

In my opinion it would work best if they would set the new series during the Second World War the way the first season of the original series was.  Setting it in present day may prove more problematic, but maybe they can set up enough suspension of disbelief to make it work.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on April 04, 2011, 05:36:07 PM

The problem that she faces now is that society has changed in the past 65 years; being a super heroine alone isn't so remarkable.  She's not in the world of men in the sense she was in the golden age; that then draws attention to the silliness of her background story.  Comic books have also evolved since then and the more realistic powers other heroes have (so far as comic book super heroes can be realistic) draws attention to the silliness of hers. 
Aside from the lasso what's so silly about her powers? She's one of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

You write real purty for an engineer Sav.

Razgovory

Well, all superheroes are silly.  I mean look at Superman.  He's an alien (yet looks human).  He one of the last survivors of his race, but since that race was a space faring one presumably lots of them should have survived.  Yet they don't.  The yellow sun is traditionally what makes Superman super, so why wouldn't there be a mass migration to solar systems with yellow suns?  It's not something you should really worry to much about cause it's a comic book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on April 04, 2011, 05:34:32 PM
She's cute, but the costume is still awful.  And it should have been written by Joss Whedon :D

Open letter to David E. Kelly

I don't get all the Joss Whedon love.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2011, 05:39:22 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 04, 2011, 05:36:07 PM

Aside from the lasso what's so silly about her powers? She's one of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe.

Well there is the invisible airplane.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"