News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wonder Woman tv series

Started by garbon, March 31, 2011, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Superheros today need to be dark and at least slightly plausible.. going camp is just silly... if you are going to do wonder woman you really really need to get rid of the costume
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Not even dark, but plausible yeah.  The Age of Adam West and the Shazam Hour are over.
PDH!

garbon

I don't think Wonder Woman would work as a "serious" series. Her whole background is ridiculous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

At least it isn't Ellen Page.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2011, 07:58:19 PM
I don't think Wonder Woman would work as a "serious" series. Her whole background is ridiculous.

Indeed, same would go for an Aquaman series.

jimmy olsen

The list of superheros without ridiculous backgrounds is rather low, yet that does not stop people from making serious movies/shows about them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 08:01:16 PM
The list of superheros without ridiculous backgrounds is rather low, yet that does not stop people from making serious movies/shows about them.

Well, even Superman is ridiculous.

However...Superman is ridiculous but workable.  Wonder Woman is ridiculous, but silly.

The only reason Wonder Woman is plausible, as a tv series, is big tits.

Tonitrus

But then, the Hercules/Xena series's worked for a while....but this isn't the 90's anymore.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2011, 08:03:14 PM
Wonder Woman is ridiculous, but silly.

:yes:

So if you leave out the camp and make it serious, you've pretty much made a whole new character.

Actually Wonder Woman seems perfect for a Xena-like series.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2011, 08:05:10 PM
But then, the Hercules/Xena series's worked for a while....but this isn't the 90's anymore.

That's exactly what I was going to say. :hug:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 08:01:16 PM

However...Superman is ridiculous but workable.  Wonder Woman is ridiculous, but silly.

Why? Aside from sexism?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

I agree.  Which is why this will bomb whether they make it camp or as gritty as Battlestar Galactica. 
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2011, 08:13:43 PM

Why? Aside from sexism?

Don't discount the importance of sexism.  :P

But really, the magic bracelets and invisible plane do seem a bit goofier than innate superpowers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Don't forget the lasso of truth.

Darth Wagtaros

A Sailor Moon movie would be about as ridiculous. 
PDH!