News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Francorum

The only way I can see a coalition is if the 2nd party is pretty close to the winner (vote and seats). For example: PC 120 seats and 33% of the vote, PL 115 and 32% of the vote.

Personally, I do not care really. I can't stand PC conservative agenda nor I can't stand Liberal tradition to intervene in provincial jurisdictions. The NDP has a similar tradition but they never implement it since they never ran the government. So, of all the three main parties, the NDP would be the worst case. But I will void my vote anyway. I can't support a federalist party.
To rent

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2015, 03:19:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 05, 2015, 02:23:00 PM
From Toronto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=oGiN-_6Qk_E

In all honesty, lots of people probably answered right but he didn't include them.  It's humor, after all.

Funny stuff.  The two girls were outside Ryerson.  hopefully not studying journalism...

My alma mater
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

An interesting piece by Wente in the Globe on Trudeau - our Liberal Reagan?  The drama teacher (actor) who can connect with voters with simplistic lines.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/if-trudeau-is-the-bridge-harper-is-the-wedge/article26664422/?service=mobile

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 05, 2015, 07:39:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 05, 2015, 03:19:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 05, 2015, 02:23:00 PM
From Toronto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=oGiN-_6Qk_E

In all honesty, lots of people probably answered right but he didn't include them.  It's humor, after all.

Funny stuff.  The two girls were outside Ryerson.  hopefully not studying journalism...

My alma mater

So ... are they typical of Ryerson students?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Interesting article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-grenier-polls-oct6-1.3258683

The money quote:

QuoteThe two sets of narratives in the polls that emerged last week appears to be continuing: one shows a close race between the Liberals and Conservatives, and the other shows the Conservatives in a dominant position. What is behind this discrepancy?

Mode of contact with voters does seem to be one source of disagreement.

Polls conducted via interactive voice response (automated telephone calls) are showing much stronger Conservative results, while most online polls and the only live-caller telephone tracking poll is showing the two-headed race between the Tories and the Liberals.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Yeah, I have been wondering about that.  People with landlines are going to be older and more apt to vote conservative.  People who cannot be reached by a land line are younger and probably will vote for one of the other parties.  Proper sampling is a huge headache for polling companies and some have taken the view that polling data is now so inaccurate that it should only be treated as having entertainment value only. 

Grey Fox

or you know, we all have caller ID. Your caller ID should say you are a Polling company & not a random scammer #.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 06, 2015, 02:40:32 PM
or you know, we all have caller ID. Your caller ID should say you are a Polling company & not a random scammer #.

Yeah, that too.  Its not surprising online polling reaches a different part of the population.  I suppose the real question is which demographic will actually get out and vote.  It is there that the Conservatives have a real advantage.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2015, 02:01:08 PM
Yeah, I have been wondering about that.  People with landlines are going to be older and more apt to vote conservative.  People who cannot be reached by a land line are younger and probably will vote for one of the other parties.  Proper sampling is a huge headache for polling companies and some have taken the view that polling data is now so inaccurate that it should only be treated as having entertainment value only.

Automatic dialler polling isn't just done on landlines.  The one call I received came over my iPhone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2015, 05:03:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2015, 02:01:08 PM

Automatic dialler polling isn't just done on landlines.  The one call I received came over my iPhone.

Ok but the comment in the story about the difference between online polling and the polling done by calling is still more reflective of demographic differences.

Malthus

I tried the "vote compass" - after doing the "weigh the issues" feature - I have all three parties as exactly equal!  :lol:

https://votecompass.cbc.ca/home
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Those questions place me as being more socially progressive than either the NDP or Liberals but just a little less economically progressive than either of them.  It does identify me as being a strong Liberal supporter 75% and a bit less support for the NDP 60% and the Conservatives down at 48%.

Josephus

I came at 62 per cent Liberal. The graph had me close to the Liberal view. What skews results, in a sense, for me when i do these things is that I do have a bit of a rightwing view on a few social things.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

66% Conservative, 44% Liberal, 37% NDP, 31% Green.  On the compass thing, I am to the right of and more conservative than the conservatives.