News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 02, 2015, 07:26:57 AM
I wonder, if that happen, will Harper finally buy some fucking Boats?!

The contracts have already been awarded and the shipyards here are moving toward construction.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 02, 2015, 09:21:41 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2015, 09:16:08 AM
Canada should free-ride on the US/NATO.  Just keep a boat or two in case Denmark wants your islands.  The rest of the military can go. 

Don't listen to Mono he has second class Canadian citizenship :angry:
Yeah.  Listening to him, we'd get hoardes of chinese invading Northern BC and Yukon.  We need a strong navy!  And aircraft to support them! :mad:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2015, 10:11:04 AM

The contracts have already been awarded and the shipyards here are moving toward construction.

More! Nuclear powered ice breakers! Deep sea ports in Alert and somewhere else in Nunavut! More!

If Harper comes out & proposes all of that I'm voting CPC. Make it happen, BB.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 02, 2015, 12:26:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2015, 10:11:04 AM

More! Nuclear powered ice breakers! Deep sea ports in Alert and somewhere else in Nunavut! More!

If Harper comes out & proposes all of that I'm voting CPC. Make it happen, BB.

A deep sea port in Alert is insane.  It's the northernmost tip of Ellesmere.  Here's a shot of the entire "town"

Harper had previously announced plans to build a deep-sea port in Nanisivik, which, if it had been followed-though on, would have been good enough.  Alternatively, building proper port facilities at Iqaluit would be nice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Port facilities at Iqaluit and some helicopter base, maybe a small port facility at Nanisivik for rescue operations would be nice.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I thought last night's debate was helpful.  Justin was not able to discuss economic matters but instead had to stick to his talking points even when they made little sense.  For example he could not explain why there was still a need to run a deficit through stimulus spending when the economy is now expanding.  There might be a good reason but he didn't know the argument to make.  All he could say is that the middle class needs help.

There are two main problems.  By that logic stimulus spending would always be appropriate because by definition the middle class needs support.  This sounds eerily similar to the logic of the bad or days of Liberal deficit spending under Trudeau.

But more importantly the economic problems we may face in the future may create a need for stimulus spending. 

Josephus

Actually he has made the argument before. Interest rates have never been lower, why not borrow money?. Things don't only need building during bad times. Now's a good time for that. You don't only invest in bad times. That's pretty much the argument that moved me over to his side.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

That is at least an argument.  Problem is he didn't make it to answer the question.  He is just a front man mouthing the lines he is given.  How is he going to make the numerous decisions a PM needs to make on a day to day basis?

In relation to your argument, the analysis I have read about the Liberal infrastructure plan is that after the spending the Conservatives have already committed in prior budgets there really isn't much difference in the spending commitment made by the Liberals.  I agree that if there is an important public work that needs funding borrowing to fund it is probably a good idea.  But that is not the Liberal plan.  They are just going to spend billions over a short period and hope it is used well.  Our infrastructure needs require long term funding.  Not this kind of short term binge spending.

crazy canuck

And then I hear more about the Conservative drug policy.

I am very conflicted.

Edit: so let's try this.  Languishites, give your best arguments for why I should vote for the party of your choice.  Don't try to appeal to my own economic self interest.  My vote will go to the party who has the best policies for the Country.

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2015, 12:42:25 PM
And then I hear more about the Conservative drug policy.

I am very conflicted.

Edit: so let's try this.  Languishites, give your best arguments for why I should vote for the party of your choice.  Don't try to appeal to my own economic self interest.  My vote will go to the party who has the best policies for the Country.

You are a part of the country.  The country is made up of people like you.  Your economic interests and the state's interests are not at odds with one another.  So what is good for you is good for the country.  Now calculate your tax burden under each of the party's plans.  Then declare the Conservatives to be your lifelong partners. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2015, 12:42:25 PM

You should vote Bloc because Duceppe appears the least insane this time around... oh, there is no candidate over there.  Damn :(

Josephus

I'm gonna let other tell me whom to vote for as well. But not Languish.

I go here:

http://www.strategicvoting.ca/

Valmy

All those sweet sweet wasted left wing votes must make BB very happy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2015, 09:55:21 AM
Actually he has made the argument before. Interest rates have never been lower, why not borrow money?. Things don't only need building during bad times. Now's a good time for that. You don't only invest in bad times. That's pretty much the argument that moved me over to his side.

The rebuttal is the principle still comes due.  So you either need to roll over the debt when interest rates might not be as low as they are now, or you have to pay it back, which would be austere and contractionary.