Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2015, 09:57:07 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2015, 08:48:06 PM
How else can I lose my Canadian citizenship?   :ph34r:
Not paying taxes for 5 years should get you de-citizenised ;)

I have: non-resident status that allows me not to pay taxes :contract:

Valmy

Canada commands true patriot love in Mono.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

QuoteStrong UN in Canada's interest, foreign affairs officials advise
Canada should consider 'adjusting' its overall tone to be more effective at the UN, document says
By Rosemary Barton, CBC News Posted: Sep 29, 2015 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Sep 29, 2015 5:00 AM ET

Prime Minister Stephen Harper addresses the UN General Assembly in New York last year. A document prepared for the incoming minister of foreign affairs - whoever that will be after Oct. 19 - suggests Canada pursue a seat on the UN Security Council at its next opportunity.

Advice prepared by department officials for the next minister of foreign affairs says Canada has a "strong national interest in sustaining" the United Nations as a "means of achieving our foreign policy priorities."

The document obtained by CBC News, marked "secret" and dated this month, offers an assessment of the challenges facing the UN, including whether the multilateral organization can cope with the demands placed upon it.

Harper, Trudeau battle over bill to revoke citizenship in foreign policy debate
Exclusive: Canadian military considers integrated response force with U.S.
And it warns a "diminished UN would constrain Canada's ability to advance its priorities."

The Conservative government has at times expressed disdain for the UN, although it remains one of the organization's top 10 financial contributors.

As prime minister, Stephen Harper has chosen at times to skip the annual opening session even while he was in New York, although he addressed it last year as well as in 2010 and 2006. (This is not far out of line with previous prime ministers; Brian Mulroney addressed the General Assembly three out of eight years, Jean Chrétien five out of 10.)

In 2012, then foreign affairs minister John Baird criticized the UN at the General Assembly for spending too much time on itself.

At that time, the Conservatives also decided not to bid again on a Security Council seat after losing in 2010.

The foreign affairs document suggests Canada declare its candidacy for a potential seat on the council as soon as possible, which it notes is realistically not until 2023-24. The document says this would signal a "renewed commitment to the international security agenda."

The memo says this would also allow Canada to shape the effectiveness of the UN in the years ahead.

The document suggests that could be done by leveraging Canada's large financial contribution to encourage better accountability and by targeting some key areas, including increased personnel for UN peacekeeping, more work on disarmament and humanitarian issues and even an attempt to place more Canadians in senior positions within the organization.

'Consider adjusting ... tone'

The document, titled "Analysis and recommendations: Canadian engagement with the United Nations," was prepared by department officials to advise the minister who will assume the foreign affairs portfolio after the Oct. 19 election.

Part of that advice is a recommendation that the government consider "adjusting Canada's overall tone and approach" in order to be an effective player at the UN and to influence issues on the international stage.

The document highlights the many things Canada has working in its favour with a "credible reputation and extensive expertise and knowledge."

While the document does not dictate what Canada should do, it clearly promotes the idea that engagement with the UN is the better foreign policy option.

But it also includes some warnings of what that decision might mean.

It says it will require Canada to be willing to engage with a "range of international actors, including non-like-minded."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-united-nations-foreign-affairs-advice-1.3247865

Hmm, I wonder if someone inside DFAIT had an ulterior motive in leaking this document. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So, the CBC poll tracker has the following projection today:

Conservative: 127
Liberal: 110
NDP: 99
Green: 1
BQ: 1

If that held up, what do you think happens?  By convention Harper would be asked to form a government, and present a Throne speech.  I'd assume Harper presents a fairly moderate and safe throne speech.  Do the Liberals and NDP try to defeat the government?  Last time there was a public outcry and the opposition parties lost their nerve.

If the Throne speech is defeated does Harper ask the GG for a new election?

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2015, 08:15:23 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 28, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
How so? I became a citizen when I was 15 or 16. It never asked me "Do you plan on becoming a terrorist?"
Unless you have a mental breakdown at some point, I doubt someone like you would join a terrorist organization.
Someone who came here as an adult and as been in the country for 5-10 years is a different matter.  Especially if they were agents sent to infiltrate the country and radicalize some of the people.

If, some 40 years later my political views are such that I think violence against the state is necessary, I do not see how I lied some 40 years ago.
It's not just thinking, it's doing it.

FYI, the guy who they are currently talking about deporting came here as a kid, as per CC's Globe editorial
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2015, 11:30:38 AM

If that held up, what do you think happens?  By convention Harper would be asked to form a government, and present a Throne speech.  I'd assume Harper presents a fairly moderate and safe throne speech.  Do the Liberals and NDP try to defeat the government?  Last time there was a public outcry and the opposition parties lost their nerve.

I think the Libs and NDP can ask the GG to form a government, I think. But I don't think they will. I've a feeling they will let Harper run for another year or two. Either way, I've a feeling we'll be doing this again soon
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 29, 2015, 12:19:25 PM
I think the Libs and NDP can ask the GG to form a government, I think. But I don't think they will. I've a feeling they will let Harper run for another year or two. Either way, I've a feeling we'll be doing this again soon

I think that would be nearly unprecedented, unless Harper conceded he couldn't form a government.

the Conservatives, both by virtue of having the most seats, and by being the existing government, would be given the first opportunity to form a government.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2015, 12:36:25 PM
I think that would be nearly unprecedented, unless Harper conceded he couldn't form a government.
It would be unrealistic for Harper to form a government if the Libs and the NDP clearly, officially and publicly announce they are ready to form a coallition for the government.

I don't think they are ready to work together, maybe some MPs could work together, but both Trudeau and Mulcair want the big Chair and that ain't gonna work.  Unless Mulcair is named Governor General for 2 years and then it's Trudeau's turn... :P

I can't see a repeat of last time's scenario, they have learnt their lesson, I think, and they will realize it's too much of a gamble to wait for that.

Only thing I can see, is they will wait a couple of years, examine the polls, overthrow the government and take their chances in an election.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The GG has to do his job. When the Harper government is defeated, ask the #2 in # of seats if they can form a government. If not, then we do this again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2015, 01:46:46 PM
The GG has to do his job. When the Harper government is defeated, ask the #2 in # of seats if they can form a government. If not, then we do this again.

Not necessarily.  The GG can ask the #2 party to form a government, or he can order a new election.  Typically he'll do whatever the current PM asks him to do.

crazy canuck

It's an interesting question.  Whoever wishes to form government has to satisfy the GG they can govern. Can the Conservatives do that?

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on September 29, 2015, 12:19:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2015, 11:30:38 AM

god dammit. I'm tired of elections.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

The incumbents tend to have the advantage when a minority government is brought down right after an election, because the electorate gets tired of the election process - this would give the Cons at least some bargaining power; they would have to agree to throwing the others some serious bones though. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I think the more interesting question is whether the Conservatives can form a minority government even if they have the most seats.  Both the NDP and Liberals have said they will not support such a government.  One of the things the GG has to decide is whether whomever he asks to form government will have the confidence of Parliament - at least for now.  I don't think we have ever had a situation where the other parties have said there are no circumstances in which they will give support to a minority government.  Normally the response is that they will wait to see what legislation is proposed etc.

It is possible that after the election results are in either the Libs or NDP will change their mind about the issue.  But if they don't the GG will have an interesting decision as to who he asks to form a government.  I am glad we have a GG who probably knows more about this than anyone else.  :)

Grey Fox

I would not trust the forming of a government or not to any 74 year olds.

:(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.