News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The point is treating some Canadians differently based on a characteristic they have different from the majority.  In the case of the deportation of Japanese Canadians it was race.  In this case it is the fact of dual citizenship.

There is no principled reason for doing this.  You have to always go back to an ends justifies the means analysis.

Btw, the moderator for this debate is much better than the last English debate.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2015, 07:07:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2015, 06:13:17 PM
Lets use another example.  A war breaks out with an Asian country.  The government of the day believes, wrongly, that all Canadians who are immigrants or the children of immigrants from that Asian country are untrustworthy and should be rounded up and deported.

ZOMG what an enormous straw man!

Unlike the WWII detention of Japanese Canadians (and unlike the WWI detention of Ukrainian Canadians) what we're discussing is people actually convicted of the offence of committing terrorist offences against their supposedly adopted Canada.  There's no assumptions involved here.

And Canadians who are "actually convicted of the offence of committing terrorist offences against their supposedly adopted Canada" should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No one's disagreeing. What we're disagreeing with is how some Canadians are less Canadians than others. A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Well to be the most Canadian you have to be fluent in both official languages -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

I have no idea that Canadian citizenship can be revoked for breaking laws.  My stupid assumption is that once I become a citizen, there is no going back  :lol: 

How else can I lose my Canadian citizenship?   :ph34r:

Grey Fox

For a bunch of lefties, we sure don't seem to trust our government with the amount of slippery slope arguments we've got going on.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2015, 07:51:30 PM
Well to be the most Canadian you have to be fluent in both official languages -_-

Sorry, won't bother learning French.  I spent the last few decades learning English and I am still not too good at it.  I am not going to spend an equal amount of time and effort on a language that I will barely use.  If there is a language that I really need to learn, it will be Japanese. 

Barrister

Huh - I had a robo-pollster call me.  I of course answered as follows:

-firm Conservative voter
-thought the F-35 was an important purchase
-thought Niqabs were degrading to woman, but could care less about wearing them in citizenship ceremonies
-could care less that Mulcair has French citizenship
-I thought "no tax" laws were silly, but wouldn't change my vote

Nothing about citizenship for terrorists though. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

After tonight's Monk debate I think that will be the subject of the next call.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on September 28, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
How so? I became a citizen when I was 15 or 16. It never asked me "Do you plan on becoming a terrorist?"
Unless you have a mental breakdown at some point, I doubt someone like you would join a terrorist organization.
Someone who came here as an adult and as been in the country for 5-10 years is a different matter.  Especially if they were agents sent to infiltrate the country and radicalize some of the people.

If, some 40 years later my political views are such that I think violence against the state is necessary, I do not see how I lied some 40 years ago.
It's not just thinking, it's doing it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2015, 06:13:17 PM
Lets use another example.  A war breaks out with an Asian country.  The government of the day believes, wrongly, that all Canadians who are immigrants or the children of immigrants from that Asian country are untrustworthy and should be rounded up and deported.
that's not the same, as BB pointed out.  They haven't committed any crimes, there has been no judgement.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

There is a better solution to all of this.

Not give away Canadian citizenship so easily.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2015, 09:39:29 AM
There is a better solution to all of this.

Not give away Canadian citizenship so easily.

Too late  :whistle:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2015, 08:48:06 PM
How else can I lose my Canadian citizenship?   :ph34r:
Not paying taxes for 5 years should get you de-citizenised ;)