News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2015, 07:48:41 AM
No it is over for the Conservatives. The NDP will win. Sorry BB, couldn't last forever.

Patience Grasshopper, the election has really just begun.

crazy canuck

The Globe election predictor now says that if the election were held today there is only a 2% chance that any party would achieve a majority.  This is the first time on party has not had at least a better than 50% chance of having a majority.  The NDP still have the best chance at 48%.  The Liberals have gone up from their single digit chances to 15% and the Conservatives are down to 39%.  The Conservatives and NDP are projected to get the most seats.  This is still a two horse race (despite the national polls) but it looks like the Liberals are going to play the spoilers to the chances of an NDP majority. 

PRC

Anyone here solidified their votes yet or is it still too early?

I'm in Stephen Harper's riding so i'm not sure it will matter, but I will not be voting Conservative this election (I did in the last).  I'm leaning toward the Liberal candidate in my riding (Dr. Brendan Miles) over the NDP candidate (Matt Masters Burgener) despite my feeling that Thomas Mulcair and the NDP would be a better governing party than the Liberals.

Grey Fox

I ain't voting for the Cons, the Greens or for the BQ.

Probably NDP.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on September 09, 2015, 01:54:30 PM

I'm in Stephen Harper's riding so i'm not sure it will matter, but I will not be voting Conservative this election (I did in the last).  I'm leaning toward the Liberal candidate in my riding (Dr. Brendan Miles) over the NDP candidate (Matt Masters Burgener) despite my feeling that Thomas Mulcair and the NDP would be a better governing party than the Liberals.

My vote is pretty solid.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I get the sense that BB, Viper and GF have decided how they will vote.  Not sure about anyone else.  Josephus is trying to decide the best ABC vote for him.  Malthus as usual is noncommittal.  My vote is up for grabs.

viper37

Quote from: PRC on September 09, 2015, 01:54:30 PM
Just met my future MP.  Yeah, my vote has been solidified and my faith reaffirmed ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2015, 01:56:40 PM
I ain't voting for the Cons, the Greens or for the BQ.

Probably NDP.
There's Rhinoceros too, their program ain't as silly as the NDP.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2015, 01:58:15 PM
I get the sense that BB, Viper and GF have decided how they will vote.  Not sure about anyone else.  Josephus is trying to decide the best ABC vote for him.  Malthus as usual is noncommittal.  My vote is up for grabs.
I could maybe have voted Bloc had Duceppe not come back and had they had a leader other than the previous one (the one that replaced Duceppe in the first place but had to quit due to health reasons), I might have.  Now, not a chance.  Libs are barres for life.  The NDP would need to get more serious than the silly fringe parties for me to consider it a viable option.

I don't like how the Cons have governed lately, but they're the least worst alternative.  Short of that, it's a no vote and I don't like it.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2015, 01:58:15 PM

You know me too well  :)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Rex Francorum

I thought to not vote but, instead I will vote and void it. I can't vote for the Conservatives. I am closer to NDP and Liberals but I can't stand their centralization tradition, especially the fucking Liberals. As an independantist, I should logically vote for the BQ but I don't think it serves the cause to have an independance party there. So, there you go, I will void my vote.

However, the campaign is interesting to follow. Can't wait to see the results.
To rent

Grallon

As a independentist I should vote for the Bloc but I too find it has outlived its usefulness.  The filthy Liberals will never get my vote and the NDP is led by a raging francophobe - someone who used to represent Alliance Quebec against Bill 101 so no.  And I can't stand Harper & croonies any longer.  So I'll either void my ballot or simply not vote at all.  I haven't decided yet.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Some glimmers of hope:

1. The revised numbers are in and the government ran a small surplus in 2014.

2. The Conservatives have started running anti-Mulcair radio ads. Now Mulcair is not as easy a target as Trudeau, but let's see if that can't bring the NDs numbers down.

3. Saw on Facebook today: a quiz with the title "Who said it: Justin Trudeau or Zoolander". :lol:

Barrister

Anyways, the Mulcair ad I heard was a bit odd.

It starts out with a dig at him being a career politician, first elected to the Quebec National Assembly in 1994.  Hmm, am I supposed to forget that Harper was first elected in 1993?

Second, in case you missed the first reference to Quebec, it goes on to say he "isn't from around here".

Then at least it goes on to make the more predictable (and true) comments about how he has said things against the oil sands, against Keystone XL, and wants to raise your taxes.