And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2015, 12:08:48 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2015, 06:26:05 PM
I just read today, in The Canadian Jewish News, which you should all take out subscriptions to, that Mulcair is married to a Jewish woman and his two kids are Jewish. Feck, he's done more for Judaism than Harper.

You ability to shill is impressive. :worthy:

Since I am not Jewish, and instead go to the same church as Harper, my vote remains secure. -_-

:D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

And then we get a Minister blaming the media for not making it a more urgent matter?  Put aside for the moment that the Minister was factually incorrect in his allegation.  Isnt it the governments responsibility to react to these situations in a timely way without prompting from the media?

I despair.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/chris-alexander-immigration-syria-refugee-crisis-conservatives-1.3213514

crazy canuck

Some new significantly different projections by the Globe as to who has the best chance to form a majority.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-election-forecast-2015/article25377958/

The Conservatives have slipped to 41%.  The NDP have a 53% chance.  The Libs are still at 8%.  This result seems consistent will all the other polls which have shown the room for Conservative vote growth is shrinking and that they are essentially stuck with their core vote.

As I think Viper opined some months ago.  The Conservatives are likely going to have to try to do something more than simply motivate their core to get out and vote if they want to stay in power. 

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2015, 11:48:20 AM
As I think Viper opined some months ago.  The Conservatives are likely going to have to try to do something more than simply motivate their core to get out and vote if they want to stay in power. 
Now that the campaign is in full swing, I think it's simply too late for that.  Anything they attempt would be viewed with cynicism.  Unless they manage to convince everyone they are not only honest in their promise, but that it was their intention all along, the right moment just never came.

I think they lost this one.  Lesson well served for them, but we'll pay the price.  <sigh>
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on September 03, 2015, 12:24:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2015, 11:48:20 AM
Now that the campaign is in full swing, I think it's simply too late for that.  Anything they attempt would be viewed with cynicism.  Unless they manage to convince everyone they are not only honest in their promise, but that it was their intention all along, the right moment just never came.

I think they lost this one.  Lesson well served for them, but we'll pay the price.  <sigh>

I don't know.  The pundits seem to think the real election is going to start next week. 

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 03, 2015, 10:53:30 AM
Is this a more appropriate response?  You be the judge.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/ID/2674906104/

Oops...
The clip we tried to show you isn't available.

Error 4
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

hmm works for me.

Keep trying it.  Given what you know about me you will appreciate the significance of me saying he struck exactly the right chord.  It is well worth seeing.

Josephus

It was a moving, and sincere bit. I don't think he was politicizing it.

Barrister

I'm having trouble seeing Harper win this.  Things just aren't breaking his way.

First we have a recession (even if growth was only -0.1%).

Then we have just the tragic but completely random death of a kid who just so happens to get photographed, who just so happens to have been rejected as a refugee into Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 03, 2015, 09:34:29 PM
It was a moving, and sincere bit. I don't think he was politicizing it.

I agree.  That is what made it the best possible response.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2015, 09:58:53 PM
I'm having trouble seeing Harper win this.  Things just aren't breaking his way.

First we have a recession (even if growth was only -0.1%).

Then we have just the tragic but completely random death of a kid who just so happens to get photographed, who just so happens to have been rejected as a refugee into Canada.

I wish I had your confidence. Like I said earlier, it's all going to come down to how the non-Harper votes break down. Tories could end winning several key ridings just because of the Liberals/NDP votes. We'll see.