News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Ah, and that monarchy stuff.  It's as offensive to me as the Confederate flag.  Same symbolism, that of cultural superiority of one group over another.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Given the options um...damn...

I can see where you are coming from.

I think you should vote for the Conservatives. They suck ass in every conceivable way but suck slightly less than the others. That is how I make most of my choices in Texas elections :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 01:47:49 PM
Ah, and that monarchy stuff.  It's as offensive to me as the Confederate flag.  Same symbolism, that of cultural superiority of one group over another.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 01:47:49 PM

What we need here is a picture of the Queen raping Jacques Bonhomme with a strap-on.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I really don't get the hatred of the British monarchy. I'm here now paying for their upkeep and I can't really care one way or another.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 01:56:25 PM
I really don't get the hatred of the British monarchy. I'm here now paying for their upkeep and I can't really care one way or another.
You do it of your own free will.  It is your choice, it is not imposed on you.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 02:11:34 PM

I moved to the UK of my free will. I don't pay taxes of my free will - those are taken automatically.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Doesn't the British government still make money off the monarchy? I know they get public money but the government gets to use all their stuff in return and supposedly come out ahead. I guess they could just take all their stuff if they wanted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 26, 2015, 02:11:34 PM

Hey I didn't choose to live in a presidential republic either. But it is not really imposed on you anymore than that is on me. You just need to get the rest of the voters to change the constitution. Done.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 02:22:19 PM
Doesn't the British government still make money off the monarchy? I know they get public money but the government gets to use all their stuff in return and supposedly come out ahead. I guess they could just take all their stuff if they wanted.

It depends on how you factor the monarchy's impact on tourism revenue.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 02:22:19 PM

It depends on how you factor the monarchy's impact on tourism revenue.

This video suggests that the government makes more money just off being able to use the monarchy's stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

Malthus

The hatred of the monarchy thing is hard to understand. The notion that the monarchy is, collectively, "like" the confederate flag is pretty risible.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 02:38:11 PM
This video suggests that the government makes more money just off being able to use the monarchy's stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

Interesting. :hmm:

Tonitrus

Queens sticking together.  :rolleyes:    :P

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2015, 05:10:23 PM

Queens sticking together.  :rolleyes:    :P

Sister be doing it for themselves. :cool: