News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2015, 09:46:45 AM
So emasculate the federal government and what - suddenly Quebec will elect 60+ Conservative MPs?  I don't think so.  And that platform isn't going to appeal to anyone in the other 9 provinces.
Ok. don't change anything.  Any change is bad.  Keep doing exactly what you are doing, any and all problems, imaginary of course, will fix themselves alone without requiring anything.  The polls are great, the PC has 33% of the vote, and by election time, I'm sure they'll get another majority, all the polls indicate they are climbing steadily everywhere in Canada, after all.  It's not like there are signs, in Ontario, in Alberta, in Quebec, that the Conservatives way of thinking is losing ground to other currents.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Btw, BB, was the United Kingdom gutted in 1867?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Vancouver introduced regulations for stores selling medical pot.  There are about 100 such stores in Vancouver right now.  The problem is that although there is a legal right to use medical pot in Canada the Federal regulations have created a system where the supply of medical pot cannot meet the demand.  As a result we have a thriving grey market which seeks to meet that legal demand by providing product from illegal sources.

The Federal regulation in this area is wholly inadequate and creates a system which is unsafe for patients (no regulation of the product being sold) and a boon to organized crime that supplies the grey market.  Vancouver needed to do something to regulate the store fronts to at least keep them away from schools etc.  So what was the Federal Government response - to condemn the city for introducing regulations to attempt to fill the void left by the Federal government. 

The Conservatives continue to do themselves no favours in this part of the Country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/vancouver-votes-to-regulate-marijuana-dispensaries/article25099466/

Barrister

NDP announces they will double the greenhouse levy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ndp-will-double-carbon-levy-by-2017-1.3127469

Look, I think that's a defensible policy, by itself.

But when you combine it with:

-increasing corporate taxes 20%
-royalty review
-increasing minimum wage almost 50%
-and, oh yeah, the province is already in recession

I really wonder what these guys are thinking?  They seem to be rushing to implement as much of their agenda as fast as possible, damning the consequences...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Since the present carbon tax in Alberta is very low I would imagine they are thinking it is time to update the policy.  I applaud that move.  All provincial governments should do the same thing since it is clear we are getting no leadership from the Feds on this issue.  Also it is an effective policy for creating the economic conditions to help Alberta become something other than a one trick pony.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 12:30:07 PM
I really wonder what these guys are thinking?  They seem to be rushing to implement as much of their agenda as fast as possible, damning the consequences...

Maybe they figure they will not have much time before your people come storming back.

QuoteAlso it is an effective policy for creating the economic conditions to help Alberta become something other than a one trick pony.

Bioware cannot sustain the entire province on its own. They need to attract some a more diverse collection of RPG developers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2015, 03:19:45 PM
Since the present carbon tax in Alberta is very low I would imagine they are thinking it is time to update the policy.  I applaud that move.  All provincial governments should do the same thing since it is clear we are getting no leadership from the Feds on this issue.  Also it is an effective policy for creating the economic conditions to help Alberta become something other than a one trick pony.

Yes, kneecapping the oil and gas industry will mean the province is a lot more diversified.

It would also be a lot poorer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 03:23:25 PM
Bioware cannot sustain the entire province on its own. They need to attract some a more diverse collection of RPG developers.

:D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 03:38:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2015, 03:19:45 PM

Yes, kneecapping the oil and gas industry will mean the province is a lot more diversified.

It would also be a lot poorer.

Kneecapping?

I think you missed your calling as a lobbyist  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 12:30:07 PM
NDP announces they will double the greenhouse levy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ndp-will-double-carbon-levy-by-2017-1.3127469

Look, I think that's a defensible policy, by itself.

But when you combine it with:

-increasing corporate taxes 20%
-royalty review
-increasing minimum wage almost 50%
-and, oh yeah, the province is already in recession

*cackles with glee*

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2015, 10:43:06 AM
Vancouver introduced regulations for stores selling medical pot.  There are about 100 such stores in Vancouver right now.  The problem is that although there is a legal right to use medical pot in Canada the Federal regulations have created a system where the supply of medical pot cannot meet the demand.  As a result we have a thriving grey market which seeks to meet that legal demand by providing product from illegal sources.

The Federal regulation in this area is wholly inadequate and creates a system which is unsafe for patients (no regulation of the product being sold) and a boon to organized crime that supplies the grey market.  Vancouver needed to do something to regulate the store fronts to at least keep them away from schools etc.  So what was the Federal Government response - to condemn the city for introducing regulations to attempt to fill the void left by the Federal government. 

The Conservatives continue to do themselves no favours in this part of the Country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/vancouver-votes-to-regulate-marijuana-dispensaries/article25099466/

I wonder how many of those patients really need them for purely medical reasons, and there is no viable alterntive  :lol:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 25, 2015, 05:36:15 PM
I wonder how many of those patients really need them for purely medical reasons, and there is no viable alterntive  :lol:
there are other, viable alternatives.  But pot users being pot users, they complain it is not as good.  Meaning, it doesn't give a buzz like pot.  So, some stupid doctors decided to listen to them.  There are always people like that, with a bleeding heart. And now, we subsidize drug users for their hobby while we cut on other needed drugs because we can't afford everything.

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2015, 06:08:34 PM
There's a subsidy?
In Quebec, and maybe other provinces, there is a public insurance for legal drugs.
In any case, your private premiums, wich can be partly deduced from your income tax, take into account the costs of all medications offered in the country.

So, I end up paying for pot users so they get their fix.  And I have to either suffer in silence or pay an outrageous price for the drugs I need because they often are not covered.