News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I don't think most policies stem out of you wanting to be a UKIP member. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2015, 12:49:48 PM
I don't think most policies stem out of you wanting to be a UKIP member. :D

I am pro-EU and pro-immigrant.  I just understand a bit of the emotional thing and so can get where the Quebec guys are coming from.  Having empathy and agreeing are pretty different things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2015, 11:49:32 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 11:20:39 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2015, 10:06:14 AM
As for "do not write laws with it" - well, the irony of a person from Quebec posting with approval a billboard that would be illegal in Quebec for exactly this reason ought to be apparent, no? 
so you would not have a problem if Ontarian laws were written in a Chinese dialect?  You would simply learn that dialect to adjust to the life and that'd be it?

I have no problem wth billboards being written in the Chinese language, no. They are common here. I have simply adjusted to it.

http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/528145709-billboard-chinatown-chinese-writing-toronto
"do not write laws with it" is what was written, wich you took literally, while it obviously means that laws shouldn't be written based on the content on some 2 thousand year old book (give or take a few centuries).

You are being obtuse for the point of being obtuse.

I still see how is it an intolerable to act to ask someone to uncover his/her face to be identified.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2015, 11:47:09 AM
"But [language] is not an incurable disease.  If by law everyone is required to [speak English], why should a [person from Quebec] be exempted from it?  If his [language] is more important than his security or the security of everyone around him, he is a [...] fanatic and I don't want him working for me."

Yet if an Anglophone came out with such a statement, you roundly condemn him. And frankly, I would agree with your condemnation. 

Point me to the article of laws where english is the mandatory language everywhere at all time please :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2015, 11:58:08 AM
Well, I'm of the opinion that there aren't two kinds of citizen - only one.  :)
you are making two kind of citizens.  Those who can substract themselves to rules and good conduct because they are of X religion and those who have to habide by the rules and good conduct because they can't claim their religion forbids it.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2015, 01:49:38 PM
As for "do not write laws with it" - well, the irony of a person from Quebec posting with approval a billboard that would be illegal in Quebec for exactly this reason ought to be apparent, no? 
so you would not have a problem if Ontarian laws were written in a Chinese dialect?  You would simply learn that dialect to adjust to the life and that'd be it?

I have no problem wth billboards being written in the Chinese language, no. They are common here. I have simply adjusted to it.

http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/528145709-billboard-chinatown-chinese-writing-toronto
"do not write laws with it" is what was written, wich you took literally, while it obviously means that laws shouldn't be written based on the content on some 2 thousand year old book (give or take a few centuries).

I still see how is it an intolerable to act to ask someone to uncover his/her face to be identified.

Laws should not be based on someone's religion, I agree - because religion is a personal matter, even if the majority of people believe in it.

By the same token, laws should not dictate what language someone writes on their billboard - that, too, is a personal matter, even if the majority of people do not understand it.

That's why I approve of having Chinese people being able to put up Chinese billboards, even though I do not read Chinese.

I have nothing against making religious people conform where there is a reasonable reason to do so; neither does the law. I am against making religious people conform because it makes you, or anyone, feel good. If a Sikh wants to wear a turban playing soccer, let them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

Are you finally discovering Malthus' nature when it comes to this?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 02:39:06 PM
How absurd.

Eh different cultural values.  We don't do the laïcité thing here generally.  Well ok we do have proponents.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2015, 02:44:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 02:39:06 PM
How absurd.

Eh different cultural values.  We don't do the laïcité thing here generally.  Well ok we do have proponents.

This is verging on totalitarian.  You can't teach your kids certain things?  Can't display religious objects in public? Can't make religious statements in public? Religious belief can't motivate actions?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

These days I struggle to be proud of anything related to France.

Laicité though. Laicité will be the one thing every frog can be proud of, a humanist legacy to the world once the country has fallen apart :frog:

The entrails of priests and the throat of kings.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2015, 02:58:29 PM
This is verging on totalitarian.  You can't teach your kids certain things?  Can't display religious objects in public? Can't make religious statements in public? Religious belief can't motivate actions?

If you say so.  I don't think it covers your own kids, but don't use your position as a teacher or something to prosthelytize to children is the idea.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2015, 01:58:29 PM

Laws should not be based on someone's religion, I agree - because religion is a personal matter, even if the majority of people believe in it.

By the same token, laws should not dictate what language someone writes on their billboard - that, too, is a personal matter, even if the majority of people do not understand it.

That's why I approve of having Chinese people being able to put up Chinese billboards, even though I do not read Chinese.

I have nothing against making religious people conform where there is a reasonable reason to do so; neither does the law. I am against making religious people conform because it makes you, or anyone, feel good. If a Sikh wants to wear a turban playing soccer, let them.

I am not sure any French speaking Quebecer would have a problem with a chinese sign(except maybe those Language cops) but what we know is the minute we stop everything gets turned back to being in English all the time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

I am all for "laïcité" as far as it means seperation of church and state. But that doesn't appear to be where it ends, as far as some are concerned.

QuoteSupporters argue that Laïcité by itself does not necessarily imply any hostility of the government with respect to religion. It is best described as a belief that government and political issues should be kept separate from religious organizations and religious issues (as long as the latter do not have notable social consequences). This is meant to protect both the government from any possible interference from religious organizations, and to protect the religious organization from political quarrels and controversies.

Critics of laïcité argue that it is a disguised form of anti-clericalism and infringement on individual right to religious expression, and that, instead of promoting freedom of thought and freedom of religion, it prevents the believer from observing his or her religion.

Needless to say, Viper's poster falls more in the latter category ...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I think it's the first with the unstated goal of the latter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.